My First Coach -- Help me decide?

teaparties

xoxo
O.G.
Dec 27, 2007
Hi! I am thinking of buying my very first Coach as I've discovered the Candace and it looks like such a great bag to have. The bag I carry around is a black Rebecca Minkoff morning after mini with a blue zipper track.
I was in the Coach store today and loved how lightweight it was.. I just hope that it can stand up to a daily beating! I also wish that it had feet on the bottom.

I'm undecided as far as the colors go.. the two I am most interested in are the colorblock black & navy combo or the cognac.

For those of you with this kind of leather and/or bag style, how do they age? Why do you love the Candace style?

I would appreciate any help from those of you with more Coach experience! Thank you!

Attachments

• candace1.jpg
    candace1.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 302
  • candace02.jpg
    candace02.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 298
Last edited:
Some colors of the Candace have feet (along with a zipper that isn't breakaway). Cognac style# 24201 should have feet. Black, sand, chambray, and lemon in that style number should also have the feet. I know someone did a reveal of the Chambray and they showed a pic of the feet.

I have a Candace in sunflower and she doesn't have feet. I don't find that feet are necessary for the bag to stand. My Candace mostly sits on display in my closet and the only issue I have is that her handles weigh down on one side and make the bag wear more on that side. The leather is very stiff at first but wears nicely and doesn't become too soft. Ive had mine since the summer and find that it stills needs to be broken in. But keep in mind, I have used my Candace minimally. I think shes a great bag if you like something more structured, and if you like to wear something a little more on the business side than the casual.

Ophousewife, thanks for your input! The sunflower is such a pretty color, but not one I could pull off. :smile: It's nice to know that the leather doesn't soften too much to where it loses its structure.

Still undecided on the colorblock or the cognac!
The cognac looks like it would age beautifully.. and I saw someone's cognac candace that looks a bit more used and it's darkened a little & it's gorgeous!
The navy colorblock is so interesting, though and although I don't like silver hardware as much as warmer-toned hardware, it looks lovely as well.

I like the colorblock but wonder how it will look in a year or two. For some reason I think it will date the bag and not in a good way. I love the cognac. I think cognac is a color that ages nicely and stays in style. I try to buy for longevity, I'm never really interested in what's trendy now. But the colorblock really is pretty.

I saw the colorblock today and it's beautiful in person. I think even for those who aren't crazy about that bag, the colors make you do a double take. I agree with others about it possibly not aging well. There have been those who have had the color rubbing off some on the corners with the more colorful bags. It seems to be a rare problem with the cognac color.

Hi! I am thinking of buying my very first Coach as I've discovered the Candace and it looks like such a great bag to have. The bag I carry around is a black Rebecca Minkoff morning after mini with a blue zipper track.
I was in the Coach store today and loved how lightweight it was.. I just hope that it can stand up to a daily beating! I also wish that it had feet on the bottom.

I'm undecided as far as the colors go.. the two I am most interested in are the colorblock black & navy combo or the cognac.

For those of you with this kind of leather and/or bag style, how do they age? Why do you love the Candace style?

I would appreciate any help from those of you with more Coach experience! Thank you!

I think the cognac would be a great starter Coach. I adore the bags you are talking about, they just never were quite big enough for me. But I thing the cognac exudes elegance.
Let us know what you decide.

I am so glad that I posted here for your opinions and help! I never thought about the bag looking dated.. but that's a really great point. I don't really pay much attention to what's on trend and tend to wear very, very casual outfits -- I'm all about comfort -- but I think it's important to have a bag that will carry on through the years and still look good! I also had no idea about the color possibly rubbing off on some of these bags. What a bummer!

The cognac looks like a timeless color! I think I've settled on it! :smile:
Other than the zipper and the feet, is there a major difference between the two Candace style numbers: 19891 or 24201? Is there one that people prefer?

As far as where to buy... I've seen many people post that they will wait for a discount before buying a coach bag. For the cognac Candace, would you suggest waiting to see if it ever came up on the factory website? I don't live near an outlet store.. so I would be counting on websites to purchase.

Also, at what discount is a coach bag considered to be a "good buy"? Any suggestions for online Coach retailers with frequent discounts?

Thank you all again for your insight!

Last edited:
I am so glad that I posted here for your opinions and help! I never thought about the bag looking dated.. but that's a really great point. I don't really pay much attention to what's on trend and tend to wear very, very casual outfits -- I'm all about comfort -- but I think it's important to have a bag that will carry on through the years and still look good! I also had no idea about the color possibly rubbing off on some of these bags. What a bummer!

The cognac looks like a timeless color! I think I've settled on it! :smile:
Other than the zipper and the feet, is there a major difference between the two Candace style numbers: 19891 or 24201? Is there one that people prefer?

As far as where to buy... I've seen many people post that they will wait for a discount before buying a coach bag. For the cognac Candace, would you suggest waiting to see if it ever came up on the factory website? I don't live near an outlet store.. so I would be counting on websites to purchase.

Also, at what discount is a coach bag considered to be a "good buy"? Any suggestions for online Coach retailers with frequent discounts?

Thank you all again for your insight!

I think the Cognac is a great, classic choice that will look great for years. As far as discounts, the only places to get Coach at a discount are the big department stores or directly from the Coach full price stores -- there's a PCE discount (25% off) going on right now. If you have a Coach full price store near you, they may give you the discount if you just go in and ask. Or you can post on the PCE sharing thread in the PCE sub-forum and hopefully get someone's discount code that you can use in-store or online. GL!

Toby11, I will keep checking out the Coach store and the department stores! I will also try my luck for a PCE discount code. Thanks!

I think I might try looking for the Candace without feet as some have said that the leather on the #24201 is not as thick or nice.

I honestly think Dillard's has better sales and has them more often. I hear about them but tend to miss every single one. I need to get a Dillard's card so that I'll know about them all. I just really don't want another card. Dillard's and Macy's is where I usually see the best dept store sales. I like to shop at the Coach store because the customer service is amazing. I know that if I have a problem with a bag that it will not be a hassle to get it resolved. My SA's are awesome and I'm not 100% sure that I'd get the same service elsewhere. Good luck with your new purchase!