My first Chanel, please help!

pasaf

Jun 15, 2009
Hello girls,

I'll be in NYC next week and I'm planning to buy my first Chanel, yay! DH does not like the classic flap or reissue - and I agree with him that none meet my needs now - so I'm between a Medallion and a ST.

I'm 5'4" and petite, and I'm looking for an everyday bag (my current one is an LV Tivoly PM, so you can see I don't need a big bag). I have a toddler and I'm anxious to go from a handheld to a shoulder bag.

So which one should I get and which size? And more importantly, is caviar better for an everyday bag?

Thanks!

Caviar is definitely more carefree. No need to decide now whether you should buy the Medallion or an ST; wait to try them in person and see which style & size suits you best. When I tried all 3 last weekend -- the Medallion, the PST and the GST -- I decided not to buy any of them because none of the 3 proved to be an ideal shoulder bag for me.

Last edited:
I've got both medallion n gst.Personally,I prefer medallion coz' d size is not too big and best of all,it's caviar so you don't have to worry about getting scratches on your bag ;) I really do love d medallion.It's a nice everyday bag!

Caviar is definitely more carefree. No need to decide now whether you should buy the Medallion or an ST; wait to try them in person and see which style & size suits you best. When I tried all 3 last weekend -- the Medallion, the PST and the GST -- I decided not to buy any of them because none of the 3 proved to be an ideal shoulder bag for me.

Many thanks, cocklecove. Any special reason why you thought none of them would be an ideal shoulder bag?

I was considering the PST and GST, but after trying them on in the store I decided against that style altogther. They are very boxy, especially the larger one. There are many tPf members that absolutely love it, but it was uncomfortable and made my arm stick out weird. I'm also petite (5"2').

The medallion seems like a nice bag except for the small opening. I have yet to find the perfect bag!

umm... curious, why not the classic flap? since you have an LV for your casual needs, imo, a caviar flap should serve your casual-everyday to semi-dressy needs for a change...

anyhow, between the 2, i personally prefer the medallion. though not ideally a shoulder bag, but hand-held.

Many thanks, cocklecove. Any special reason why you thought none of them would be an ideal shoulder bag?

Well, I'm shorter than you are and I thought the GST's boxiness and dimensions weren't good for me; think a larger bag needs to be narrower or squishier & not as tall for me to carry it off. But the biggest problem imo is that the strap lengths on all 3 were "wrong": the bags all sit higher, even when wearing street clothes, than I would like for the size/style -- and were hard to get on over my winter coat.

I was surprised; a friend of mine has earlier versions of the PST and the Medallion (maybe 10 years old?), and I would swear that the shoulder straps on hers are longer than those on the current models.

So I'm going back to my idea of looking for a vintage variation on a Timeless tote.

FWIW, I love my classic, M/L double flap and wear it with everything, even though the combination (black caviar, gold hardware) is probably the most "formal." But the current price is more than $1000 over what it cost my BF in December of 2006. :shocked:

Current prices here:
http://forum.purseblog.com/chanel-shopping/current-worldwide-prices-no-chatting-428832-18.html

umm... curious, why not the classic flap? since you have an LV for your casual needs, imo, a caviar flap should serve your casual-everyday to semi-dressy needs for a change...

anyhow, between the 2, i personally prefer the medallion. though not ideally a shoulder bag, but hand-held.

Hubby hates the classic flap, plus it has become just too popular here. I´d rather have something more subtle and not have to bump into others using the same bag every day. :smile: Also, I don't see a classic flap as an ideal purse for the mom of a toddler. Do you think it would be usable?
ps: I think the CF is gorgeous.

Well, I'm shorter than you are and I thought the GST's boxiness and dimensions weren't good for me; think a larger bag needs to be narrower or squishier & not as tall for me to carry it off. But the biggest problem imo is that the strap lengths on all 3 were "wrong": the bags all sit higher, even when wearing street clothes, than I would like for the size/style -- and were hard to get on over my winter coat.

I was surprised; a friend of mine has earlier versions of the PST and the Medallion (maybe 10 years old?), and I would swear that the shoulder straps on hers are longer than those on the current models.

So I'm going back to my idea of looking for a vintage variation on a Timeless tote.

FWIW, I love my classic, M/L double flap and wear it with everything, even though the combination (black caviar, gold hardware) is probably the most "formal." But the current price is more than $1000 over what it cost my BF in December of 2006. :shocked:

Current prices here:
http://forum.purseblog.com/chanel-shopping/current-worldwide-prices-no-chatting-428832-18.html

Thanks again! Guess I won't have the big coat trouble since I'm in Brazil! :smile: I guess I will just try them all and see what happens...

Hubby hates the classic flap, plus it has become just too popular here. I´d rather have something more subtle and not have to bump into others using the same bag every day. :smile: Also, I don't see a classic flap as an ideal purse for the mom of a toddler. Do you think it would be usable?
ps: I think the CF is gorgeous.

oh, i see... heehee... well now i can't object to that! :amuse:

anyway, i have a 15-month old and find the flap so friendly for mommies who want both function & style. i wear it messenger-style for the handsfree option, carry my baby w/ 1 hand and hold my little boy w/ the other :biggrin:

I have the medallion tote and I really like it, however a GST is also on my wish list. If you aren't carrying much, a medallion or PST is the way to go. However, for more items and a bag that is more "open", a GST is a better option. And caviar. GL!