My First Chanel - Just an SLG but which to choose? Lambskin or Caviar?

pie1510

Nov 1, 2017
As mentioned in the title, this is my first Chanel purchase ever! (apart from makeup or perfume, but that doesn't count lol) I decided on the Chanel Classic Small Wallet but I'm not sure which leather to choose? Lambskin or caviar?
Seeing as I'm not at that point where I'm collecting designer SLGs (one day!!), this will definitely be for everyday use. For those who have the small wallet how has it fared? How long before it starts showing signs of wear and tear? Which leather would you recommend?

Pic for reference, shown here in lambskin with SHW, I'll be getting the ??? with GHW.
slide-1.jpg.fashionImg.hi.jpg

Reactions: Namwan-
As mentioned in the title, this is my first Chanel purchase ever! (apart from makeup or perfume, but that doesn't count lol) I decided on the Chanel Classic Small Wallet but I'm not sure which leather to choose? Lambskin or caviar?
Seeing as I'm not at that point where I'm collecting designer SLGs (one day!!), this will definitely be for everyday use. For those who have the small wallet how has it fared? How long before it starts showing signs of wear and tear? Which leather would you recommend?

Pic for reference, shown here in lambskin with SHW, I'll be getting the ??? with GHW.
slide-1.jpg.fashionImg.hi.jpg
Yay you! This is such awesome wallet! I have this exact style in silver caviar & it’s held up amazingly well....looks new & I’ve used it a LOT (even though i do rotate w/ various card holders as well) I think either leather is a great choice & a matter of personal preference so hopefully you will know which leather you love a little more than the other. Many chanel lovelies write about the durability of caviar vs lamb. I just personally prefer the luxuriousness of lambskin more than caviar & i’ve Not had any problems w/ any of my lambskin SLGs (or bags) although i am relatively careful w/ my items. The only reason my wallet is in caviar for this style is because it was the only option that was in stock at NM when i bought it & i just loved the style & color. BEST of LUCK to you deciding & i hope you will love it ....it’s a great first choice!

Reactions: pie1510
Yay you! This is such awesome wallet! I have this exact style in silver caviar & it’s held up amazingly well....looks new & I’ve used it a LOT (even though i do rotate w/ various card holders as well) I think either leather is a great choice & a matter of personal preference so hopefully you will know which leather you love a little more than the other. Many chanel lovelies write about the durability of caviar vs lamb. I just personally prefer the luxuriousness of lambskin more than caviar & i’ve Not had any problems w/ any of my lambskin SLGs (or bags) although i am relatively careful w/ my items. The only reason my wallet is in caviar for this style is because it was the only option that was in stock at NM when i bought it & i just loved the style & color. BEST of LUCK to you deciding & i hope you will love it ....it’s a great first choice!

Thanks for this... very helpful! Yeah I might go with caviar (although it is hard to resist the luxe look of the lambskin) seeing how I will be putting it through heavy use. I have to admit I prefer the look of the lambskin but because it’s my first Chanel piece ever, I don’t think I could take the heartbreak of having it scratched.
I’ve been lurking on the SLG club thread and I don’t know how it happened but I’m convinced I need a card case as well

Reactions: kyc and Kendie26
I have that same wallet from the picture, It is the most perfect wallet! fits 6 cards, bills, and zipper compartment, and it fits in square and rectangular mini. It is my most used wallet ( I also have a zippy small for cards ) to rotate in case I need to carry other things in my mini. Caviar is so durable!

Thanks for this... very helpful! Yeah I might go with caviar (although it is hard to resist the luxe look of the lambskin) seeing how I will be putting it through heavy use. I have to admit I prefer the look of the lambskin but because it’s my first Chanel piece ever, I don’t think I could take the heartbreak of having it scratched.
I’ve been lurking on the SLG club thread and I don’t know how it happened but I’m convinced I need a card case as well
:lol:Ha, ha you “bad :graucho:gal”....lurking does cause lust!!!:facepalm: So YES,:yes: you must also get a cardholder for extra versatility!!! Kidding (well, kind of!!!) All the best to you pie1510:flowers:

Caviar for SLG! Definetely!

+1...both my wallet and card case are caviar and they both still look new (my card case is in my bag every day and yes you need both[emoji6]). Lambskin is beautiful though so I️ get your dilemma. Some think the wear on lambskin only adds to the beauty and if you’re okay with a few scratches then go for it.

I️ have a Chanel lambskin wallet that is 25 years old. The hardware is still shiny and the leather is in great condition with some slight wear where it bends. The leather still looks smooth and fresh. GL with your decision. You can’t go wrong with lamb skin or caviar.

Both are beautiful SLG and never goes wrong :yes: I love both and own both and lambskin look always more luxuries :love: From my personal experience of usage though, I would say caviar for durability on SLG for long term use :smile:
thank you this is very helpful... good to hear from someone who has both. the caviar i saw was quite dull and very grainy (refer to pic below)... will i be out of line to see another piece or will it all look the same? sorry for the questions... :confused1:

Attachments

• IMG_4868.JPG
    IMG_4868.JPG
    234.1 KB · Views: 913
Reactions: shopgirl4cc
I have that same wallet from the picture, It is the most perfect wallet! fits 6 cards, bills, and zipper compartment, and it fits in square and rectangular mini. It is my most used wallet ( I also have a zippy small for cards ) to rotate in case I need to carry other things in my mini. Caviar is so durable!
Yay!! so good to hear about its perfect functionality! i'm so excited to get mine soon in two weeks! i'm this close to just heading out and buying it now but I made a promise to only open it on christmas... the torture!

+1...both my wallet and card case are caviar and they both still look new (my card case is in my bag every day and yes you need both[emoji6]). Lambskin is beautiful though so I️ get your dilemma. Some think the wear on lambskin only adds to the beauty and if you’re okay with a few scratches then go for it.
haha thanks for the casual enabling! :amuse: i think i might get a card case depending on what the boutique has on the day! it only seems right, doesn't it? and yes, it'll be caviar... although hopefully i'll find a better looking one! than the one i saw the other day...

Thanks everyone for chiming in with some really invaluable insights! SO SO SO excited to finally get my hands on a Chanel :smile::heart:

Reactions: Kendie26