My First Chanel in a lonnnng time - would love advice!

Dawn

seriously?
O.G.
Sep 2, 2006
The only other Chanel I've owned was a vintage Jumbo that I promptly sold because I was too afraid to use it :sad: That was years ago and I've been waiting for my chance to own another Chanel.

After stalking FP and Yoogi's for months, I finally purchased this pre-loved Half Moon Woc from Yoogi's for a pretty good price. I know it needs to go to a spa and contacted LMB who gave me a reasonable quote. It should be here by Monday. The pics are from Yoogi's.

Is it best to trust somewhere like LMB to breathe life into a well-loved Chanel or is there anything I can do for the white areas on the bag? The smoothed out leather doesn't bother me at all; it's the white spots and areas that I would like 'fixed'.

Is LMB the place to go? Would a Chanel boutique even consider sending this off to be treated? If you have recommendations on other places that refurbish in the US, please let me know. Any advice you can offer is so appreciated. :heart:

Attachments

• WOC1.jpg
    WOC1.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 828
  • WOC3.jpg
    WOC3.jpg
    218.1 KB · Views: 840
  • WOC5.jpg
    WOC5.jpg
    183.9 KB · Views: 844
  • WOC6.jpg
    WOC6.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 887
  • WOC7.jpg
    WOC7.jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 861
Reactions: lVliving
It looks like the bag could use some intensive conditioning- Try Cadillac Leather Conditioner.

You can also try Leather Surgeons - there have been several amazing transformations posted in this forum. Good Luck!
Thank you! :heart: I will send them a message for a quote.

I love your half moon! Congratulations! I would suggest leather surgeons. I've contacted LMB myself and love their LV products, but I've sent my Chanel bags to LS for spa services. If you look at leather surgeons website there's beautiful before and after pics. Chanel sends repairs to LS and they're endorsed by Chanel. Use their direct email as sometimes the contact us link through the website does not always go through. They typically respond within 24-48 hours and the work typically takes 3-4 weeks including shipping.

Good luck!

Also get a quote from Leather Pros(818) 768-5952. I've used both LP and Leather Surgeons and each does a phenomenal job.

I typically use Mark at LP if I know the bag is authentic because he charges a bit less but does just as good a job as Gerry at LS. If, however, I want an authentication, I go with LS as Gerry includes that in his pricing on every Chanel bag.

Hey there @Dawn. Good to see you over here in the Chanel Forum. I'm sorry, I can't help you with refurbishment places but it seems others have done a fine job passing along info on that.
I'll just congratulate you on your Half Moon WOC. I'm excited for you to get it all spiffed up at the Spa. Do come back & show us the results! ;)

Thank you all so much! :heart: I heard back from Leather Surgeons but will also contact Leather Pros.
@Tulip2 it's nice to see you and thank you for the congrats! I am sooo excited for this WOC! :heart: I will be sure to post before and afters. The WOC should be here Monday!

Thank you all so much! :heart: I heard back from Leather Surgeons but will also contact Leather Pros.
@Tulip2 it's nice to see you and thank you for the congrats! I am sooo excited for this WOC! :heart: I will be sure to post before and afters. The WOC should be here Monday!
I'm really excited for you! It looks like a really pretty WOC. I so wish I could carry them. They're just way too small for me. But I always love to see them every new Season. But this Vintage Half Moon looks like something special. :heart: :speedy:

what is that white residue?
I am not sure to be honest. One place said a waxy build up so it could be due to the previous owner trying to condition it?

So I heard back from Leather Pro and this is what they said:
"Your WOC is really in bad shape, it looks like someone has refinished it and made the caviar texture flat, specially on the back and edges around the front flap." They said they could do the bag color and strap for $120 while LMB was $195 and Leather Surgeons was $220.

@Tulip2 @Sparkletastic @Gblb @Passau I paid about $900 for this - was that too much? Tagging a couple of you for input (sorry, hope you don't mind) :sad: there were other WOCs on FP for about $1400 (and up) that were in better shape but I was more concerned about refurbishing the color and not so much the caviar texture being flat. I expected to pay about $200 for a refinish on the color and factored that in as well.

He said the back and edges are flat which at first didn't bother me until he called it out. LOL No one will see the back of the bag and honestly, part of me felt like if it was already worn smooth a bit then I wouldn't worry about it as much.

Does Caviar leather eventually smooth out with wear?

Thanks for everyone's help on this. If it's not worth the refinishing then I can send it back to Yoogi's. I'm just torn now :sad:

I am not sure to be honest. One place said a waxy build up so it could be due to the previous owner trying to condition it?

"Your WOC is really in bad shape, it looks like someone has refinished it and made the caviar texture flat, specially on the back and edges around the front flap." They said they could do the bag color and strap for $120 while LMB was $195 and Leather Surgeons was $220.

@Tulip2 @Sparkletastic @Gblb @Passau I paid about $900 for this - was that too much? Tagging a couple of you for input (sorry, hope you don't mind) :sad: there were other WOCs on FP for about $1400 (and up) that were in better shape but I was more concerned about refurbishing the color and not so much the caviar texture being flat. I expected to pay about $200 for a refinish on the color and factored that in as well.

He said the back and edges are flat which at first didn't bother me until he called it out. LOL No one will see the back of the bag and honestly, part of me felt like if it was already worn smooth a bit then I wouldn't worry about it as much.

Thanks for everyone's help on this. If it's not worth the refinishing then I can send it back to Yoogi's. I'm just torn now :sad:
just my opinion, for whatever it's worth... the half moon has come down quite a lot in price in the past year... it used to resell for 1700/1800 and now you can really get excellent condition for about 1300. i would put the 200 in refurbishing towards a newer-condition one. for about 1100/1200 you could probably get one in much better shape. maybe try Fashionphile as well... they get them in way more often than Yoogis and have layaway. i've owned 2 half moons before and they are a great woc to own. i think this is a case where the price doesn't warrant the work needed. i buy pre-loved too, but this looks like a bag that'll never get back it's former glory.

Oh no! I'm so sorry. :hugs:

Here's my two cents for what it's worth. I've dealt with both LP & LS on a few bags. I found that what Mark at LP says is what Gerry at LS will say about a bag and vice versa. I haven't found that LS has any special magic. They are both outstanding and I trust their judgement. They have steered me away from purchasing a couple of bags and I was grateful for them being blunt about what they could do and what I could expect. (One thing to know about the pricing, Leather Surgeons includes a written statement of authenticity and shipping to and from your home in their price. So they aren't really that much more expensive when you add that in.)

In looking back at the pictures, I see the caviar is worn smooth in places. Gosh. That is frustrating. :sad: I haven't heard of caviar wearing down like this. I think that's why people love it. It's pretty carefree. And as far as I know this can't be retexturized. So I guess the question is, do you want the bag to look close to new or are you ok with it showing wear after the refinishing is done?

I agree with ccbaggirl. If it was my bag, I'd return it. I wouldn't want to buy and refinish unless I could get to close to new. I think that with a little patience you can probably find one for a few hundred more that may be in better shape. Maybe you can even post in the "help me find my bag" thread to get several people looking out for the bag with you. I'm happy to keep an eye out too! This is such a special bag. I think you should get one that will make you super happy each time you wear it. :amuse:

Reactions: Gblb
Thank you both so much. I think I will have to return. I didn't really think about the smoother leather being so bad until Mark pointed it out as being in really bad shape. I'm glad yogis has a good return policy - even though they don't pay return shipping :sad:
Appreciate the honest feedback so much!

Reactions: Sparkletastic
Hi Dawn!

Wow, I'm sorry to hear what the experts said. I would agree with the sound advice that you've been given already. Yes it is good that Yoogi's has such a good return policy, but it sure stinks paying shipping for a return.:sad: But, its better than being stuck with a bag you're not happy with. I saw black ones FP had today; a few look nice. I am looking for one too, but in a lighter neutral color. Try The Real Real (hit or miss), Yoogi's, Anns Fabulous Finds, Boutique Patina, even eBay if you're not against eBay. The ones I've seen on eBay have been quite high for a half moon, 2500-2900. One will eventually pop up that will be the one for you! It's hard when you want it now though to wait. :annoyed: I know you will find one real soon! :biggrin:If I see any good black ones in my search I'll forward them your way.
Keep us posted!

Hi Dawn!

Wow, I'm sorry to hear what the experts said. I would agree with the sound advice that you've been given already. Yes it is good that Yoogi's has such a good return policy, but it sure stinks paying shipping for a return.:sad: But, its better than being stuck with a bag you're not happy with. I saw black ones FP had today; a few look nice. I am looking for one too, but in a lighter neutral color. Try The Real Real (hit or miss), Yoogi's, Anns Fabulous Finds, Boutique Patina, even eBay if you're not against eBay. The ones I've seen on eBay have been quite high for a half moon, 2500-2900. One will eventually pop up that will be the one for you! It's hard when you want it now though to wait. :annoyed: I know you will find one real soon! :biggrin:If I see any good black ones in my search I'll forward them your way.
Keep us posted!
Very true :heart: I'm okay waiting! And thank you so much! You guys have been so helpful and given great advice! :heart: