my first chanel has made me sooo confused

zarah

Jan 29, 2009
Hello everyone. I just wanted some opinions, i have just purchased a black caviar jumbo flap, after thinking about it for ages and ages, i decided on gold hardware. There is no Chanel boutique that is local so i brought from a good seller online. I received it today and i did really like it, its really a special bag, however i just think the gold chains are toooo much for everyday use. I think they are really bright and quiet yellowy, its an elegant bag but I'm too self conscious to wear it, as i feel its a bit OTT for just going to work or shopping. Should i change it for a silver one? I really haven't seen both bags in reality and i don't think i can practically see them either, so the only option is to buy online again. I am just afraid that the silver will also look OTT I'm not sure and pics can be deceiving, can you guys tell me if the silver is as bright as the gold hardware in real life?? I wear a lot of black and i think gold stands to much out with my clothes, will silver be any better? Any help or advice will be good at this stage :crybaby:
Thanks in advance :smile:

Congratulations on your first Chanel flap, zarah. So sorry that you are having second thoughts about it. The black caviar jumbo with gold hardware is definitely dressier and as such more of a standout look. Many tPF gals believe it to be THE Chanel bag to own!

I have the black caviar jumbo with silver hardware and feel that it is more casual and less "in your face". I wear lots of black and grey too and don't feel self conscious at all when using it.

All this said, if you are not comfortable with the bag as you have it, it is probably best to exchange or return it as it is too much money to not use and love. I am sure others will also offer their thoughts, opinions and support. Either way, you can't go wrong, zarah. Both bags are beautiful and classic. Good Luck and please let us know what you decide.

There is something very bright and flashy about the gold. Even the newer gold on the Maxi is still really shiny.

However, yellow gold is still my first choice because my jewelry is yellow gold. I do have some silver HW bags, but they don't look as well thought out as my gold HW bags.

You may get used to it, I don't really think about it much anymore, but if you wear silver accessories, then switch to silver HW.

Definitely go for the silver! It's much more casual -- it's the reason why I like red and silver together than red and gold, even though I prefer red and gold more. With gold chains, I feel like I have to be dressed to the nines to go anywhere.

It's a matter of personal preference. If you feel the GH is too over the top, then you should definitely exchange for the SH. It's too much money not to be 100% happy with your purchase. I think the GH gives it a vintage feel & makes any look more polished while the SH is more modern & casual. Definitely go for whichever you feel comfortable with. In this case, it might just be the SH. I think the SH will blend in with your attire & the brightness from the silver does not "pop" so to speak as the gold would. Either way, both are excellent choices for your 1st Chanel.

Awww... I agree with the girls here, Gold may be a little bit 'shiny'

but saying that I do own a small black lambskin with GHW that I often took out for night events! Silver is more of my 'day' look, it balances the lux-factor of the bag with a hint of casual - kwim?

In the beginning I only bought handbags with silver hardware since most of my jewelry and watches are white metals. Also, the silver is more casual and youthful. But lately I have become obsessed with the luxeness of gold hardware. It is a matter of personal preference, and you should wear what you truly love and feel comfortable with.

I know alot of pfers wear their bags with GH proudly during the day, there's nothing wrong as long as you are comfortable with it, IMO both HW are beautiful and can be worn day and night.
But if you are already having thoughts that you will be uncomfortable then return it and get yourself one with the silver HW, I have a black jumbo caviar with silver HW and a smaller flap in gold, they are both my favs.

Recently there was a thread posted by H_addict on her new black jumbo with silver hw, take a look, beautiful modelling pic:

http://forum.purseblog.com/chanel/loving-my-new-chanel-422796.html

Last edited:
Personally I love to ware my jumbo with gold hardware casually during the day.... I think it's a really fresh look and I agree with queenofchic that the GW has a more vintage feel which I love! IMO it's THE bag to have but everyone is different!

I think you should return it for sure if you're not 100% happy.... but I secretly want you to keep it! ;)

For a black Jumbo, I would prefer the silver hardware. Somehow, it just goes better in my opinion. However if you really want gold, maybe you can try the black reissue... Black reissue+gold chain is:tup:

I have a pic of me wearing my black caviar jumbo with silver hw :smile: .. pic is a bit blur

Photo-0044-1.jpg

Perhaps a Chanel without chains or minimal chains would be better for you. There is a great reference library here - perhaps you could peruse that & see if anything looks good to you. You could also look at the official Chanel website online & see if anything there appeals to you. If you see something you like, you can call a Chanel boutique, Saks, Neiman's or Bergdorf's - they can work with you & source it for you.

Maybe you would prefer something more "casual" from Chanel like an Ultimate Soft or something with less hardware overall like the Medallion or Cerf Tote.

However, if you like the look of the flap you purchased & feel it is special - maybe you just need to get used to it before it feels like it belongs to you. I routinely wear my flaps (with gold or silver hardware) with t-shirts & jeans along with dressier outfits. If I want something "quieter", I'll pull out something with less hardware.

Good luck with your decision :smile:

the gold is a bit blingy , i,ve bought my new maxi with light gold hw,as not so bright,and that will be my only gold chain bag,otherwise i'll stick to silver,as i can wear that every day,but the normal gold colour is too much for me.silver is not ott,i only wear black,and the silver is lovely