My first Bal..black city..picking it up tomorrow! And a question..

Oct 16, 2007
Have a black city on hold for me - the last in the store. I think the hardware is black covered but it's not the perforated or patterned leather..just plain leather.

I'm not sure if I've been crazy looking at different styles and thought I was looking at cities when I was looking at the work, but I am a petite person, and the city was much smaller than I anticipated. It is $1395 but I felt like it looked kind of short from top to bottom. The SA insisted it was a city and we held it up to one I definitely thought was a city, but not covered hardware (hot pink, gorgeous). Is your city roomy? It didn't look as short/wide as the part time, but for some reason I just thought it was a little bigger since some of the photos in the style threads made it look longer and flatter. This kind of slopes in on the top and I am wondering if maybe it is a part time labeled incorrectly.

Edited to add: I looked at the style thread and some seem to look the same. I thought I was getting covered hardware, nonperforated trim but maybe not. Does that combo even exist?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Sounds like a City to me. $1395 is the current price for RH City.

If you do a search in the "photos wearing you Bbags" thread, there are tons of Cities. Many posters state their height/size, so that can help you with perspective.

GCH always has the perforated trim. There were some (regular) CH bags a few years ago, maybe 2008?, that were just like the RH styles but, covered. I can't imagine that any of those would still be available, though.

My bet is you've got yourself a Black RH City - the quintessential Bbag!!

I really think this is plain black covered hardware. They have one left on hold (bergdorf). Is it old? I really might go to barneys and check their selection too..I don't want an old bbag!

Edited: what should the hardware look like on a nonperforated trimmed bag?

About "old one", you may check the card of the bag, as"year:2010 1"or “year:2009 3", "1"means s/s,"3"means f/w. I think the year is not important, you'd better pay more attention to the leather, thick or thin, dry or smooth, etc.
About the last question, sorry for my poor English. I guess you want to ask about regular hardware and giant silver/gold hardware of b bags? If so, you may check online shop at balenciaga.com. Hope I couldn't misunderstant what you mentioned before.

Thanks. I spoke to my sa and she said it is the regular hardware but couldn't find the white card or the white card just says classic city. Hopefully it is fine...do they always come with a card when you get it at a department store? She said they use their own tag.

Hi, florida,
I have seen some tpfers talked about the card, they said someone may send the bag back to the store if they were not satisfied, so the cards may lost.
I haven't got something from the stores as Neimanmarcus, etc. I got bags from a sa in HK,and the bags are not allowed to return back. So I suggest you could get the bag from other stores, or order one from hgbagsonline.com.
There are many new colors this year, and if you were worried about that black city, you could choose another bag. I know b bags are expensive, so we have to spend much time on considering about color, style, etc.

Oh wow... did City prices go up another $100 !? Last I though they were $1295 - but that was over a year ago.

Anywho... for me the City is the perfect size. I feel all bal bags are deceitful in looking smaller than they truly are because they are smooshy they give alot and fit a ton. though i can imagine the city would be too small for some ladies. i agree to take your time.. my first bal was a First and it is really too small for daily use. i wish i had researched a bit more - seen the bags in person and tried on different sizes.

I ordered my black City from Aloha Rag and was actually surpised about the size when I received it as well.

It looks bigger in photos than in person IMO.

It's still a great size and fits all of my stuff nicely and I'm very happy with it - but I do understand how you would think it looks smaller in person.

I think if you really prefer the newer Black Citys, you should be able to get it anywhere w/ no problem. If there's something about this bag that bothers you, it's old, the covered RH, the size, just get another black, i 'm sure they're not hard to find.

I called Balenciaga, and they assured me that the bags definitely still come with the date cards. The SA was really nice and spent a long time on the phone with me, locating a new one and explaining all the different cards that came with it to me. I felt really uneasy after the other SA told me that the classic city never comes with a date card - maybe she was just misinformed, but I felt uneasy - Bal said they absolutely should be selling them with the date cards, etc.

I went to Barney's after work and looked at a brand new black city, perfect hardware, etc. and it had ALL of the date cards and control cards etc. I will post photos when I find my camera :smile:

Thanks for your help, everyone!!!