My Ferragamo Exotics

Something strange about Ferragamo that I found out last month - they call all their Crocodile and Alligator items crocodile. When I got the grey one in 2008, the SA at Nordies said it was croc, but there were not pores on the scales so I knew it was definitely alligator. I just figured it was mislabeled.

Something strange about Ferragamo that I found out last month - they call all their Crocodile and Alligator items crocodile. When I got the grey one in 2008, the SA at Nordies said it was croc, but there were not pores on the scales so I knew it was definitely alligator. I just figured it was mislabeled.

Yes I'm sure to make your bag in croc instead of alligator would put the price point past Ferragamo. Still a beautiful bag.

Beautiful bags! Just a little input on the alligator/crocodile thing. Many times the use of either term is more regional than based on the actual skin types. So, if something is made in Europe or Great Britian, it will be called Crocodile and if it is made in the US it will be called Alligator, regardless of which it is actually made of. I guess this has to do with the fact that many people have no idea about how to tell the difference between the skins and just refer to them by the familiar regional terminology used where they live. With vintage bags, many times they would use a mix of skins, both alligator and crocodile. One last thing, although crocodile is a lovely material, american alligator is also considered to be one of the best skins available and not at all inferior. Anyway, just a little info...
You have the most beautiful collection of exotic Ferragamo bags I have seen!! Enjoy them!

Beautiful bags! Just a little input on the alligator/crocodile thing. Many times the use of either term is more regional than based on the actual skin types. So, if something is made in Europe or Great Britian, it will be called Crocodile and if it is made in the US it will be called Alligator, regardless of which it is actually made of. I guess this has to do with the fact that many people have no idea about how to tell the difference between the skins and just refer to them by the familiar regional terminology used where they live. With vintage bags, many times they would use a mix of skins, both alligator and crocodile. One last thing, although crocodile is a lovely material, american alligator is also considered to be one of the best skins available and not at all inferior. Anyway, just a little info...
You have the most beautiful collection of exotic Ferragamo bags I have seen!! Enjoy them!

Thank you. I agree, Alligator mississippiensis is a superior skin to Croc, although a good nile or porosus croc will give it a good run for the money, so to speak. Gator scale patterns are smoother and more symmetrical. Gator skins are also thicker. Both are in the biological order Crocodilia and that helps to confuse people. I posted a guide to telling the difference somewhere on the BV forum, but I am the world's worse PF searcher. Anyone who wants to know the difference can find it on the internet.

Edit: Wonderful article - http://www.alligatorfur.com/croc.htm

Last edited:
Wow, this is one gorgeous clutch.

When I saw the Tulipan Soft Sofia at the F/W 2008 trunk show, I fell in love with a clutch...

This one is the Chiara Python clutch in Anthracite Python. It has a calf leather rose on front, plus a strap that is tucked inside. Lined in Nero calf. F/W 2008

The third pic is a stock picture

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php