My Face Dental Journey in 2015

blasian

Feb 1, 2015
I have been a member of PF for several years, but I have not been active on this site as I have moved on for the most part. My old posts are still here, so please feel free to read them. My screen name is blasian because I am both black and asian (japanese). I look mainly black with asian features so addressing my facial flaws with a doctor familiar with asian features seemed appropriate to me. Please do not message questioning me about my background-"what percentage asian are you", comments are uncool and honestly do not matter.

I am married now, and working in my career, and do not check here often. I am also no longer on Kakao. I would also like to note that some forum members can be rude and at some point, it no longer seemed worth it to argue with people or attempt to prove I wasn't a promoter. The fighting on this forum grew to be excessive at some point. I hope that this forum will continue to be a resource for those looking to improve their appearance as the surgery I had was a positive life-altering experience that set me on a journey that helped me feel confident. I also sought out therapy (old issues) and began taking better care of myself. Not saying surgery fixed my issues, but I felt better about myself which resulted in seeking improvements in other areas that I was too afraid to do before when I felt ugly.

I wanted to provide an update on my full surgery journey, for those that may be looking for an improvement in their appearance and have tried everything else.

In July 2015, I traveled to South Korea to correct what I saw as an elongated face, harsh profile, and protrusion. I thought I had a masculine appearance somehow. I just felt that I did not look look or feel attractive. I sent my photos out to a number of surgery clinics: Girin, ID, The Face Dental, EverM, Regen, Wonjin and Cinderella, just to name a few. I really liked the interactions I had with Dr. Lee at TFD. All the clinics said I had an elongated face, protrusion, an overgrown jaw and strong zygomas. I booked initial consultations with EverM and TFD because they were dental clinics. I booked my travel to South Korea. Stayed in an Airbnb nearby.

I had a terrible consultation with EverM. The Dr. seemed rushed, cold and pressed for time. He mentioned he could not do a vline (low nerves), but he could do double jaw and zygoma reduction. I was disappointed. I did not completely want a zygoma reduction and in hindsight, glad I did not do it. I really wanted vline to address my jawline. The translator asked if I was planning to consult with other clinics and when I mentioned TFD, she badmouthed them. I found that completely unprofessional, so given that and the sense of dread I was feeling, I went to TFD.
I was immediately sold. I was treated well, given a thorough overview of what Dr. Lee planned to do, and was quoted 10 million won for: v-line, t-chin and double jaw. He did not think zygoma reduction was totally necessary, so I did not request it, since I was ok with my cheekbones. I paid for surgery, and booked the procedures.
Recovery for these procedures were long and hard. My face burned all night and the drooling was excessive. I could not sleep, but I watched anime and Korean tv shows. I could not chew for a while or open my mouth fully, so I ate porridge, soup and mashed potatoes. My face was round like a balloon for weeks. I did think immediately after surgery my face was improved. The protrusion was gone, moving my jaw just a few millimeters made me look younger and my face looked more balanced. I looked like a little chipmunk. The swelling gradually dissipated, but it took months (6 or 7). At first I was thinking I needed a revision, but what I really needed was to give it time. You have to be patient with this surgery.

I have not been back to South Korea since 2015. I said hi to Dr. Lee a few months ago via email. He is still pleasant to speak to.

Surgery since TFD

1. Chin liposuction with thermitight in the US. I removed the fat pad that formed and tightened up skin after the inevitable sagging occured after vline and genioplasty. Dr. Lee was honest and said this was going to be a likely outcome. I was able to find a doctor in my city to do this for 3,500. The results look good and I am happy with it.

2. Lip lift. After double jaw, my lips looked smaller and the philtrum longer as my bone structure was altered. A lip lift helped restore a bit of what was lost. I will occassionally use fillers, a lip lift helped, but I ended up revising this as the work was marginal. It was went Dr. Rodriguez in Maryland and I do not recommend him. I was left with a very visible scar that never truly healed, and I needed steroid injections to flatten it. The lip lift began dropping back into its original position almost as soon as the swelling dissipated. My concerns were brushed off and the doctor was agitated when I was unhappy. I decided to revise this elsewhere and not contact this doctor again.

3. Rhinoplasty with rib graft, lip lift revision and scar revision. I had a previous rhinoplasty in Mexico that looked worse over time and unsure if double jaw exaggerated an already subpar nose. My nose got wider, and deviated. It had no definition over time, was short, with an upturned tip. The prior lip lift was not the best and left a very visible, ugly scar that went all the way around the base of my nose and columella. I went to see Dr. John Layke in Beverly Hills, CA and I am pleased so far. He built up my nose with rib cartilage, adding a tall, high bridge, corrected my breathing issues, and refined the tip. The handiwork on the lip lift and scar revision are hands down fantastic. The surgical lines are thin and small. It's obvious he took his time during surgery. I had minimal facial swelling after surgery, zero bruising and no pain. My rib was just a little sore. I paid $23,000 for what I see as a natural result. It does not look like surgery. I had consulted with clinics in Korea for rib rhinoplasty before deciding on Dr. Layke, and was was surprised to see VIP was charging similar prices, and I could not seem to get an understanding of the doctor's aesthetic as it seemed from the reviews he was not consisistently addressing patient's concerns. So, I opted to spend the same money and do it here in the US, where I can take a short plane ride home, and communicate exactly what I wanted.

This is where my facial plastic surgery ends. I am at a point where I am happy with how I look and I feel attractive. After 5 years, I still recommend TFD Clinic. If you have double jaw, please give your results time.

I've attached my before and after x-rays as Dr. Lee shortened my face a great deal. The pins are still there. I kinda dislike having my face out there for the world so I do not plan to post any other photos besides these. In the selfies, the first photo is the after, the second is before. I blurred out my mouth, but I had a prominent protrusion and the mid face was flatter and longer. These photos do not represent the work that I have done since TFD: rhinoplasty, lip lift and chin liposuction. I do not plan to share those here. I am truly hoping that I helped someone out there. :smile:

Attachments

• 20200523_020343-COLLAGE.jpg
    20200523_020343-COLLAGE.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 149
  • 20200523_020357-COLLAGE.jpg
    20200523_020357-COLLAGE.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_20200523_033124_199.jpg
    IMG_20200523_033124_199.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 174
Last edited:
Reactions: Cbuzz2022
Was your upper jaw shortened? I too have a long face and want my maxilla shortened but I don’t have a gummy smile and I’m afraid my teeth won’t show enough afterwards.

Was your upper jaw shortened? I too have a long face and want my maxilla shortened but I don’t have a gummy smile and I’m afraid my teeth won’t show enough afterwards.

Yes, upper jaw was shortened, which balanced my mid face. I have no gummy smile whatsoever. My smile is actually far more attractive than it was before.

Thank you for your reviews. I read your two reviews before and it helped a great deal. How do you find the anesthesia experience between surgeries in Korea and US?

I had a slight gummy smile before. That was remedied completely with this surgery. My smile is MORE attractive after double jaw. I did not sacrifice my smile. Yes, the surgery for me was worth it.

hi blasian, did you have a normal bite going into your double jaw surgery with dr lee?
also regarding your lip lift revision u should look up dr mascaro in florida. he does great work