My ebay account was stolen, shall I start a new account or wait for ebay to investiga

I have been using my previous ebay account to sell my own unwanted Hermes and Chanel items, and it is not easy to sell high price items without having good feedbacks. So after a year, I have successfully accumulated 20+ postive feedbacks from selling these kind of items. I even managed to have that 30 day listing restriction (for selling Luxury goods) lifted from my account.

AND THEN.. early this week, I got an email from ebay informing me that my email has been changed, which I did not change my email. So I tried to log in, and I couldn't, some unauthorised user has some how hacked into my account and changed my password. I could not retrive my password because email and phone numbers have all be changed.

I immediately informed ebay, and I talked to an online assistant, who suggested me to write to ebay to investigate into this matter. So I did, and ebay said they will reply within 24~48hours. AND nope, I haven't heard anything from ebay, so this morning I wrote to ebay and talked to an online assistant again. He looked into my account and said that all my registered infomation has been changed to OOO, and asked me whether I knew this person. OOO was my ex-bf which I have not contacted ever since we have separated, however I've always had this account, so he knew it was my account and probabily somehow guessed it my password, and managed to steal my account. The online assistant told me that since it is someone I knew (or once knew) this account will not been seen as being hacked, he said I'd need to write to ebay and request an investigation. He also said that it can take a while (can take up to 60 days) for ebay to investigate into this matter.

I don't know what to do now, shall I wait?? But as you all know it is the christmas season now, and it is a good time to put up listings.

But if i set up a new account, then i'll have ZERO feedbacks, and as you are all well aware, no one will buy from a zero feedback seller!!!:sad::crybaby:

My friend said that maybe I can put up some listing with low starting value (like 50% off the retail price for brand new items) to attrack people, because in the past I have always only used BIN with best offer to sell my items. But as a buyer, wouldn't you think that a new ebay seller with zero feedbacks, with low starting values sounds very fishy??:thinking::thinking:

What do you think I should do?? Wait for ebay to respond? or create a new one to start selling immedately for Christmas?

TIA!

PS I am not a professional reseller, just selling my own unwanted used (some brand new) items from time to time.

Er... First off... Is your bank account, credit card, and paypal attached to that account? You need to make sure your other accounts are safe! And I certainly hope your paypal/ebay passwords aren't identical...

And hound the hell out of ebay about the issue and contact paypal to make sure they know too. Change your paypal email and password. Don't just wait for them to get around to it. Call daily...

I'd quit worrying about making a new account and listing products and be worrying about what else they have gained access too and your financial/identity security.

Er... First off... Is your bank account, credit card, and paypal attached to that account? You need to make sure your other accounts are safe! And I certainly hope your paypal/ebay passwords aren't identical...

And hound the hell out of ebay about the issue and contact paypal to make sure they know too. Change your paypal email and password. Don't just wait for them to get around to it. Call daily...

I'd quit worrying about making a new account and listing products and be worrying about what else they have gained access too and your financial/identity security.

yeah... I was thinking these same things. What's up with that?

Thank you for your concerns, I had my paypal linked to the ebay account, but no credit card or bank account linked ( I was registered with ebay Australia)

I was very worried about my paypal account, so I changed the password, I wrote to paypal and have requested to have it removed from this ebay account, the first reply was they could not do it and said I must seek help through ebay. And ebay said they do not have access to paypal, so they cant remove it for me.

So i wrote back to paypal again and told them that, and then they taught me a way to remove it from paypal ( wonder why they could not do it in the first place?)

So now I am less worried in the financial aspect. But I find it very strange that ebay have not responded to my first email! I was told by the online assisstant that all my registeted details have been removed and changed to another person's detail. He also said that I could only wait for ebay to investigate into this matter. It is very frustrating just sitting here waiting!!

Thank you all for your concerns.

Last edited:
OK I see what eBay are saying because say your child or friend or whatever gained access then you could resolve that with them.

But this is your ex - who I assume by his actions that you are not on good terms with. Please tell eBay this - this person is an enemy not a friend. Let them go at him with the full fist of the law if they have to. He has committed identity theft and potentially fraud. Ring them again and demand that they resolve the situation immediately. File a police report if you have to.

And please, please change all your passwords including every email address you own.

Sorry this happened to you. I would be very concern about any other unethicial thing your EX may have done than try to sell anything for the Christmas season right now. Make sure verify all your financial info are secure, change your passwords or accounts if you have to.

I would wait and see what Ebay has to say. If ebay doesn't do anything and your EX still has access to your account, maybe you could post the ID so that other buyers know that they are not dealing with an honest seller.

OK I see what eBay are saying because say your child or friend or whatever gained access then you could resolve that with them.

But this is your ex - who I assume by his actions that you are not on good terms with. Please tell eBay this - this person is an enemy not a friend. Let them go at him with the full fist of the law if they have to. He has committed identity theft and potentially fraud. Ring them again and demand that they resolve the situation immediately. File a police report if you have to.

And please, please change all your passwords including every email address you own.

Thank you 5elle, that's exactly the feeling that I get when I requested help from ebay. They said since it is someone I know (or knew), then it is not considered as hacking. How is it not considered as hacking when obviously someone is using my own account?

The online assisstant that I talked to said that the only way is to write to ebay and they will investigate into this matter. I have given a lot of evidences in the email, such as my last activities in this account, and the email reference numbers that came with each email that was sent to me by ebay in the past, hopefully they will give it back to me.

I have changed all my passwords on paypal and emails. Will definately contact ebay every day until this matter is solved. Thank you!

I would ring eBay and ask to be put through to a supervisor - the online assistant is useless. It IS hacking if someone has unauthorised access. File a complaint. You are being fobbed off.

I would ring eBay and ask to be put through to a supervisor - the online assistant is useless. It IS hacking if someone has unauthorised access. File a complaint. You are being fobbed off.

Exactly! Don't waste time with online assistants and email. You'll never get anything resolved that way. Call them and talk to a supervisor.

If my account was hacked, you'd be darn sure I'd be on the phone 24/7 until the situation was resolved.

Sorry for my late replies, my internet was suddently down after I posted the last reply.

You might not be able to. If one account is naru, you cannot have another account. Wait until they get back to you. Did you ask ebay if it was ok?

I haven't ask ebay whether I can register another account yet, I was just thinking ahead, in case, ebay somehow decided not to give it back to me, due to the lack of responses that I am getting from ebay.

It is really frustrating, they dont' reply my emails, but everytime after I've talked to an online assistant, they asked me to fill in a survey!!

Sorry this happened to you. I would be very concern about any other unethicial thing your EX may have done than try to sell anything for the Christmas season right now. Make sure verify all your financial info are secure, change your passwords or accounts if you have to.

I would wait and see what Ebay has to say. If ebay doesn't do anything and your EX still has access to your account, maybe you could post the ID so that other buyers know that they are not dealing with an honest seller.

I have changed all the passwords to all my bank/email/paypal or anything associated it. Hopefully I am safe for now in that aspect. Thank you for your concern :smile:

I will definately post the ID if I don't get it back at the end, so that people would know that the person behind that account is not the same as the one who earned those feedbacks!!

Sorry for my late replies, my internet was suddently down after I posted the last reply.

I haven't ask ebay whether I can register another account yet, I was just thinking ahead, in case, ebay somehow decided not to give it back to me, due to the lack of responses that I am getting from ebay.

It is really frustrating, they dont' reply my emails, but everytime after I've talked to an online assistant, they asked me to fill in a survey!!

That's weird. I don't understand with as something as serious as this why the representative wouldn't help when you call.... I wasn't asked to fill out a survey when I called, but maybe it changed. Didn't they say anything else other than talking about a survey when you talked to them??