My dress is too big.

I have lost a lot of weight recently. Today I was trying to figure out what to wear for xmas and my quite pricey DKNY dress was the first dress to pop up in my mind. I put it on and... it is way too big now. It looks like a nightdress with sleeves more than anything else. I used to have size M but I need S apparently. Omg :sad: I'm so sad

Is there a way to alter a sleeved dress?

Yes. :smile:

And congratulations on your weight loss. Your problem is one that a lot of people would be happy to have.

The greater the alterations required, the greater the expense. I think extent is measured by the number of seams opened. In deciding what to have altered, you will probably want to limit it to pieces you really love.

Having clothes altered to fit you perfectly makes them look so much better even if they start out in your size.

A good tailor can do a lot, and sometimes adding a belt makes a big difference.
It depends on the style and fabric too, whether or not it's worth altering.
Since it's a dress you love a lot, definitely worth investigating. But yes, I agree with amacasa that you should reward yourself with a new dress too.

Congrats on the weight loss! My weight tends to yo-yo a lot so I keep asking myself the same question. I've heard that a tailor can't really alter any item more than 2 dress/pants sizes without it looking odd, so that's what I go by. If you're altering more than, say, from a size 6 to a size 2, it's probably going to adversely affect the fit/drape/etc, so you're better off reselling (maybe pocketing a bit of a profit?) and then buying something that fits :smile: