My dog won't eat!

krinkles597

Jun 29, 2008
She's going to the vet, but I thought I would ask here to see if I could get any answers immediately.

The past two days, I just couldn't get her to eat anything! She loves treats and canned food and wouldn't eat those. She's always had a problem putting on weight and eats very little so we try to give her stuff she loves and scarfs down. She has been acting very sleepy lately, licking herself, and scratching a lot.

Is there anything I can do for her as of now?

Is she drinking water? She may be severely dehydrated. I really think bringing her to the Emergency Vet is the best idea. It has been two days that she hasn't eaten, something is not right. Good luck and keep us posted.

I know this sounds like a dumb question, but has she had ALL of her scheduled vaccinations? Including Parvo?

One more question...does she urinate and poop since this started? Is it normal?
If there's no bleeding, vomiting, diarrhea, obvious wounds, fever, etc. I don't see a big problem AS LONG AS she's drinking plenty of water. Def. have a vet see her asap.

Did something happen that upset her? Any changes? Could she be depressed or sad? Old age can trigger lack of appetite, so can upset stomachs from changes in feeding or foods.

Last edited:
^I don't think there's a change in anything, except that she has a scar on the inside of her front leg from a fairly recent cut. I don't know how she got it, but it's completely healed up.

I finally got her to eat a little bacon strip! Maybe I was overreacting, but I'm still concerned about her decline in appetite. She seems to prefer softer foods, so maybe it's a tooth problem and she doesn't want to chew? I'd still like to get her to the vet because a treat still isn't much to eat over two days.

Can you call her regular vet and see if they have anyone on call? If not, their voice mail will direct you to the ER that they refer to. If you decide to go to the ER vet it is best to use the one your regular vet knows.

So, I took her in and luckily she doesn't have anything serious. They guessed it was just a lack of appetite and to take her back to my regular vet in a week or so. I went to the store and bought her lots of soft and chewy stuff to eat but she still doesn't seem that interested.

If you can get your hands on green tripe, it's doggy crack.
I'm not kidding...I've never seen a dog turn it down and it's loaded with all kinds of nutrients. My boxer has been sick and turns down peanut butter (which he loves) but can't turn down green tripe.
It is a super food. It is loaded with vitamins and digestive enzymes that will help get her appetite going. You can mix a little with her kibble. You will have to offer it to her in small amounts first because it is so rich it can cause loose stools initially.

I get mine shipped to me from www.aplaceforpaws.com
It's raw cow stomach. I think some stores sell it in a can, but it's SUPER smelly out of a can. I prefer fresh.:nuts:

Don't get it confused with the tripe for humans. White tripe has no nutritional value for dogs because it's been bleached.

Here is a snippet about green tripe-

For ages scientists have been propagating the numerous health benefits of green tripe. Often considered to be the most perfect food for all dogs, it improves the sheen of the coat, induces more appetite and is a great digestive aid. This fantastic treat can be combined in a healthy assorted meal. This is in fact one of the best raw dog food recipes you can feed your dog. Combine slices of chicken or some other meat like beef, venison etc. along with cubes of fresh green tripe. You'll be amazed at how much your dog will love this tasty treat!

Another idea would be to add warm, low salt chicken broth to her food.

Last edited:
What about boiled chicken breast? Or little boiled strips of lean lamb meat? Just keep it really moist.
Our dog is very fussy eater too, but he has problem with pancreas. It is very painful and when it pains he would not eat.
Did vet ER do blood works to look at liver and kidney functions or some xray to determine if your dog does not have some intestinal blockage or something like this. Sometimes when dogs had bones to chew it may cause some sort of blockage.
I really hope that it was just bad mood for your dog and nothing serious. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. I also really panic when my dog would not eat.

Last edited:
Our dog recently went through this too.. but she's had issues with food sensitivity & Gastro issues from a young age. Is she lethargic?

Providing low-sodium chicken broth to drink might help stir up her appetite and provide her with addl. calories. I also heard good reviews on the Green Tripe that Boxermom had mentioned.

Did they do bloodwork?? I wouldn't be happy with their "guess". You know your dog. If she is still not acting like normal in the next 2 days I would ask them to do some tests before just dismissing it as normal lack of appetite. I hope she is feeling better today.