My Dog Wont Bark

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. I know this is going to sound ridiculous, but is it normal for my dog not to be barking? He's a 5 month old German Shepherd. The only time he barks is at empty water bottles on the floor, but i wouldnt call that a bark, its more of a yap, when hes playing around.

We live in the countryside and we have a gate, usually when someone stops outisde my other dog (whos older) goes crazy at the gate barking and when he doesnt even go out, he always goes back into the house like hes scared.
    Will this ever change? he seems to be very soft. Obviously i dont want him to be aggressive with people, as hes such a lovely dog with everyone, but i would like him to bark at strangers at the gate like the other dogs have done.

2. When my boys (rescues) first came to live with me they didn't really bark, let's just say now they've grown out of that phase:rolleyes:

3. My parents have a 7 month old lab and he hasn't barked yet. I still remember the first time our golden barked. He was about a year old and he let out this big, deep bark. He scared himself so badly, he tried to hide under the couch.
    I think your little guy is still too young. I don't think there is anything wrong with him. I would just enjoy the quiet for now.

4. Our female dal didn't bark for the longest time - We even went to the vet since I thought there was something medically wrong - THEN - once she started she never stopped. A leaf would fall 3 blocks away at 4 in the morning and she would bark!

5. LOL thanks guys :o)

6. My dog only barks when he hears me scream (like when i watch scary movies) or when sees another animal on television..............the funny thing is that he never barks at other dogs or people in real life. I would take him for a walk and this little chihuahua would start barking at him and yet he does nothing! (my dog is a yorkie)

7. Count your blessings! My dog won't shut up!!!! lol

8. My dog didnt bark at first... but now when hes having fun chasing other dog at dog park, he barks.. But at home still no bark... so its perfectly normal

9. My dog didn't bark until she was around 7 or 8 months old so I think it's normal. My dog still isn't a big barker though, she only barks when someone rings the doorbell or knocks on the door.

10. Thanks i guess it just feels weird to me as all my dogs have barked quite alot.

11. Baron, our 5 month old chi doesn't bark yet either. He's working on it but to date - no barks.

12. My yorkie doesnt bark and he is 5 yrs old:wtf:, he lets out a single "arf" like every 5 or 6 months, but other than that he is silent, except for his honking, lol.

13. My golden didn't bark until he was about one. A lot of puppy yips, but no big barks. Now, he barks all the time to get our neighbors to give him biscuits!

14. Enjoy it while it lasts. :P

15. My dog didn't really bark for months. Now, she barks when people ring the doorbell, walk past the window, etc. She also growls at imaginary things (probably sounds I can't hear)