My dog Mushu was attacked by raccoons...

where in SF are you? i would definitely call animal control - 415-554-6364 . if you think others in your neighborhood are experiencing the same thing i would ask around and also urge them to call animal control too.

Definitely check that your dog is up to date on rabies vaccination. Call animal control and if theywon't do anything, there are often private animal control people who know how to get rid of pesky animals. We lived in a neighborhood that was losing all its trees to beavers and he knew how to get them out of the neighborhood.

Good luck! I hope your dog feels better and your neighborhood is safe again.

where in SF are you? i would definitely call animal control - 415-554-6364 . if you think others in your neighborhood are experiencing the same thing i would ask around and also urge them to call animal control too.

Hi Dusty Paws. My family lives in San Francisco (luckily we don't have raccoons issues) but Mushu belongs to my BF and he and I live in Burlingame. So I think the number I contact will be different. I'm definitely going to call Animal Control. Thank you for the info.

Definitely check that your dog is up to date on rabies vaccination. Call animal control and if theywon't do anything, there are often private animal control people who know how to get rid of pesky animals. We lived in a neighborhood that was losing all its trees to beavers and he knew how to get them out of the neighborhood.

Good luck! I hope your dog feels better and your neighborhood is safe again.

Thank you boxermom! I really appreciate it! :smile:

Kuriso, were you able to call your animal control and vet? Any updates?

Hi yeliab. Thanks for your concern. I made an appt for Mushu to go to the vet. His loss of hair is really making me worry even more. I'm not sure if it's related the raccoon problem. As for animal control, I haven't had the time to call but my bf went to the Peninsula Humane Society. They suggested us to to put metal wire fencing to block the bottom of the deck so that the raccoons will not go under it. Also to have us put the garbage cans elsewhere. Basically BF explained to them the situation and the environment.

On the outside of the house, there is also like a outdoor hallway (pardon my poor explanation..English isnt my first language) that has a gate that leads to the backyard. Apparently this part of the area is where the racoons are constantly going through to get from the front of the house and to the back of the house. The humane society told us that in San Mateo and Burlingame, raccoons are common pests and what we need to do is take preventative measures. I feel that the advice they gave BF really helped but truthfully I do not feel that it will make the raccoons go away. in addition, the backyard has a pond with 6 koi fish. We know for a fact that this really attracts the raccoons. We already have wire fence that will "zap" the raccoons if they try to get near the fish. Tomorrow, I will call again because Id really love for someone to come by the house to see what they can do.

I even thought bout bring in an exterminator but even if they trap the raccoons, I think the raccoons will keep coming back...I'm not sure yet. For now, I'm going to concentrate on taking care of Mushu first. He's really worrying me. He hasn't been eating his food..not even snacks...its very strange.

I suspect that they are living under the porch in the backyard. We noticed they tend to be around there.!

My parents have a porch and when I was growing up we had a lot of problems with skunks moving in and living under the porch. My parents and the pest people tried everything, but the only thing that worked was enclosing the bottom of the porch with long wood that goes down deep into the ground. If the wood is only about a foot deep skunks and raccoons and whatever will just dig a little trench and get through. Once it was done the skunks moved on to somewhere else and we never saw them again. If you did that and also kept your garbage in the garage until pick up day, your house would be so boring to the raccoons that they would probably just move on and bother someone else. Then little Mushu could have his yard back! Good luck!

Raccoons are the worst. I remember coming home one night and one was on my porch by my front door. I had to sit in my car for 2 hours until he left. I remember friends telling me I should have just shooed him away. I was scared. Those things have razor claws. Then last year in Lakeland Florida I heard about that older woman who tried to scatter the raccoons from her front door and they turned on her and she was gang attacked by 5 of them and was clawed and mauled. Raccoons are dangerous. I know you have been very careful...please don't let your guard down.

I just did a quick google and came back with a story http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14486644/ telling of "In one case five raccoons tried to carry off a small dog, which managed to survive. Some residents also have managed to get to their cats in time to save them." OMG! Please be careful.

Last edited:
And, you mentioned your Mushu was scratched by the raccoon.

A scratch from a raccoon can potentially be dangerous due to the multiple diseases that raccoons can transmit (such as rabies). Anytime you are scratched or bitten by a wild animal you should be examined by a doctor or health professional.

And while we know that rabies is transmitted through saliva. Rabies can be transmitted
if the animal has licked its paws and then the saliva is transmitted to the claws. It may not be as common for this transmission byt it is still a possibility and just as dangerous.

And, you mentioned your Mushu was scratched by the raccoon.

A scratch from a raccoon can potentially be dangerous due to the multiple diseases that raccoons can transmit (such as rabies). Anytime you are scratched or bitten by a wild animal you should be examined by a doctor or health professional.

And while we know that rabies is transmitted through saliva. Rabies can be transmitted
if the animal has licked its paws and then the saliva is transmitted to the claws. It may not be as common for this transmission byt it is still a possibility and just as dangerous.

Thank you so much for sharing the information with me! I'm taking Mushu to the vet later today! I'll update you guys on how he is doing soon!

UPDATE:

Mushu went to the vet and he is perfectly healthy except he has really dry skin that causes him to lose his hair.

As for the raccoons, I haven't noticed any raccoons recently! Mushu hasn't been barking at night! I'm really happy about that! So far, so good :smile: yay!

Glad your Mushu is OK. Those racoons are cute but can be scary. Maybe the problems you were having were seasonal and they will be less prevalent for a while now. We had skunks in our backyard a few years ago. The babies were so cute rolling around in the grass like kittens at night. They disappeared. We haven't seen skunks for a while now. We've seen foxes but only on rare occasions and a racoon a few times. So apparently these wild animals can be in an area but move around and change their primary "home".
I'd still keep a close eye on your doggie, especially at night.