My dog has seperation anxiety

HubbaWubba

Mar 7, 2007
To make a long story short, one of my babies passed away last week. I didn't post about it because I am still heartbroken and it was a freak accident which I had to make the decision to put her down as I didn't want her suffering. I still miss her and am taking it one day at a time.

So now my other doggie follows me around and every time I leave my house, I hear him howling. He barks like crazy when I go to put my coat on. He never did this before. I feel so guilty. He knows she isn't here anymore. I have tried maybe leaving on the tv when I leave but I still hear him howling. It is not really feasible that I take him everywhere with me.

Besides getting another dog, which at the moment I don't want to do, what are some suggestions to help him feel more secure to be left alone.

Our dogs both have separation anxiety issues, and the way we "cured" them was through crate training. Now when we leave, they happily go into their crates. We give them a Kong with some treats in it so they have that to focus on. It's been an absolute lifesaver for us (especially since we used to live in an apartment!).

If you go this route, just make sure you take it slowly and make the crate a positive thing (never a punishment!). I also recommend using a cage type of crate instead of the ones with the solid plastic sides, as they are less claustrophobic feeling. The crate really can be a comfort zone for your dog. Ours even go in them sometimes just to sleep or whatever, when we're home. We put nice beds in them, attached water dishes (made for cages), and they are a nice little nest for them for when we're gone. The Kongs are great, because they have to work hard to get the treats out, which is especially good for dogs that are food-motivated.

Also, make sure you don't make a big production out of coming and going. Don't fuss over him, and when you get home don't really acknowledge him right away (until after he settles down).

I'm sorry for the loss of your other dog.

First off, I am so sorry about your dog. It is always horrible when you lose a beloved pet.

Second, I don't think I'd call what your dog is experiencing separation anxiety. I'd call it grief. He doesn't understand what happened to his friend and he is upset. He is clinging to you because you represent stability and he sees you as the leader. Be patient with him, he is lonely and he might miss the other dog even more than you do.:sad:

Spend plenty of one-on-one time with him when you are home, that should help him get through it (and you too). Good luck!

Im really sorry to hear all of this! Thats alot to deal with. Is it your minpin that is struggling now? I think he is just sad. I can not imagine what it must feel like to leave and hear him howling..ugh... it makes my heart hurt thinking about it. I can not imagine crate training a min pin..I tend to agree with lots of love, and as much attention that you can while home. Maybe a exrta walk here and there...someone will have some good advice..Sorry again Hubba.

Thanks for the responses.

Bag-mania, you might be right. I got both of them around the same time. They grew up together although he is a year older than her. I have had both for over 10 years. But he was always jealous of her too. She was very goofy and just innocent (not the brightest dog, but just a sweetheart). I guess that's also why it hurts so much to lose her. He is more like an in your face dog that always needs a lot of attention to begin with. I know that he knows she is not here anymore, but I think he is enjoying the attention I am giving him now that she is not here anymore. It's like he is saying, now I got you all to myself. LOL

Wordpast, I couldn't even imagine crating him. He is 12 at this point. When I take him for boarding when I go on vacation, the people tell me he barks constantly and the only way he stops is if someone takes him out. He has even lost his "voice" when i go to pick him up. It's like he has a sore throat from barking so much. LOL

ETA: Yes Sunshine, he is the min pin that is having this problem. He misses his lil sis. :sad:

Tough situation, hon. I know all about seperation anxiety b/c my pup suffers from it. Real pain in the a** to deal with.

I think your dog is very confused b/c it's never been alone when you're not home. Talk to your vet and see what they say. I'm very sorry for your loss.

All dogs will suffer some from of anxiety when they're alone as dogs are pack animals. I'd suggest getting another dog to keep your current one company. However, I would not suggest getting another male dog; as the new one and the old one may fight it out for awhile until one of them establishes dominance.

You can try some alone training. Try leaving your dog home alone for short periods of time. Run out for 15 minutes and come right back. Also don't make a big deal out of leaving. Basically you have to ignore the dog as you are walking out the door. If you make a big fuss they will think your leaving is a big deal. You might also want to try a DAP plug in. Most pet stores have them. They have a pheromone that is released that is supposed to be calming for dogs. It does work well with my thunder phobic boy. I am so sorry to hear about the passing of your fur baby. When you are ready I am sure another dog will make this one feel much better....maybe even you too.

DAP

http://www.petsmart.com/product/ind...p.&kwCatId=2767032&parentPage=search&keepsr=1

Thanks for your thought ladies. I leave him alone for sporadic time periods. I was out most of the day, and when I left I didn't hear him howling this time. Maybe he is getting used to it. He did, however, chew up one of his toys and the stuffing was all out of it when I came home. I guess it pissed him off. LOL

When I used to live with my parents and my brother was still at home my dog got very attached to my brother. Then my brother joined the Navy and left. My dog got really weird. We'd find her in the den sitting on the sofa in the dark all alone. It was like she missed him so much she didn't want to be around anyone.

So what your dog might be going through is a similar grieving process. Mine eventually did get over it. I don't know how long it took, but after a while we no longer would find her sitting alone in the dark.

Hugs to you and your pup. I'm so sorry to hear your baby passed.

I'm sorry to hear about your doggy. Your other doggy is in mourning, just like you are. By the sound of it, he's starting to deal with it. In the meantime, could you get him a treat ball? One of those things full of holes that you can fill with treats and he has to roll it the right way to get the treat out? It might distract him when you're out... other than that, not making a fuss of coming and going is great advice too!

I am so sorry about your loss... It is never easy to experience saying goodbye to our furry friends...:sad:

I think you are doing the right thing about handling the separation anxiety... You got some good advices here:tup:. I feel the problem will be solved soon. Definitely getting some suggestions from your vet is always good, too. And for your very last resort, there are pills you can give... But I have a feeling your doggie is not going to need that.
Good luck!

I'm actually going through a similar situation. A year and a half ago, my sister and I lived at a house together and we both got a dog at the same time. I got Pepsi(chihuahua) and she got Humphrey (pom). We got them both from the same lady so from birth they have been together. We lived together until a month ago when I moved to SF. Since then my lilttle Pepsi would cry/howl/bark when I leave him at home by himself. I feel really bad but at the moment I can't get another puppy. =( I really do know how you feel right now.

P.S. Thanks everyone for all the advise for seperation anxiety.