My dad's split nails

kuranes

Feb 3, 2013
I'm hoping that some of you might be able to give me advice for my dad. I've attached a picture if one of his thumbnails - they often split in this manner, normally even deeper than shown here. His current routine is 5000mcg of Biotin daily and, when he thinks about it, some random top coat of my mom's.

Do you all have any suggestions for him that might help his nails heal? Nothing that requires curing, please. I was thinking Solar Oil would be helpful?

Thanks!

image-4223130811.jpg

(I'm new, love the forums, love Gelish, and I'm getting an Alex on Sunday thanks to all of you!)

Reactions: bunnybaby201
Mar 9, 2008
SoCal
It's hard to tell by the picture, but is his nail cracked vertically down the middle? My mom has a nail like that... I usually buff it very lightly to smooth it out a bit then treat with Barielle Hydrating Ridge Filler and Orly Nailtrition. I doesn't heal the crack closed so much as it prevents it from cracking further. After the nail grows out a bit you can see it's a tad shallower but eventually it just cracks all over again.

He wouldn't have any trauma to that nail, even from a long time ago? I think those cracks are either from trauma or hereditary, I can't remember which one right at this moment. Hope that helps!

kuranes

Feb 3, 2013
It's hard to tell by the picture, but is his nail cracked vertically down the middle? My mom has a nail like that... I usually buff it very lightly to smooth it out a bit then treat with Barielle Hydrating Ridge Filler and Orly Nailtrition. I doesn't heal the crack closed so much as it prevents it from cracking further. After the nail grows out a bit you can see it's a tad shallower but eventually it just cracks all over again.

He wouldn't have any trauma to that nail, even from a long time ago? I think those cracks are either from trauma or hereditary, I can't remember which one right at this moment. Hope that helps!
Yes, it is cracked vertically down the middle. I'm pretty sure that he did damage his thumbs when he was a kid, so you're probably right that it's a longterm issue. I'll look into those products, thank you for the suggestions!

Bunny1212

Mar 19, 2012
NYC -- The Big Apple
Yes, it is cracked vertically down the middle. I'm pretty sure that he did damage his thumbs when he was a kid, so you're probably right that it's a longterm issue. I'll look into those products, thank you for the suggestions!
That actually looks like his nail is ridged vertically. I have one nail that is ridged and it also splits, especially in the winter. Unfortunately this is caused by a combination of age and genetics, so biotin isn't that helpful. One important thing you should know: the ridges are not places where the nail plate is thicker. Actually the ridge is much thinner than the surrounding nail tissue. It is the pressure of the thicker nail tissue against the thinner nail that causes it to buckle and form the ridge. If you buff the ridge at all, it will split even more. I usually put a dab of glue on the split and cover it with silk. That won't work for a man. But, some steri-strip tape and some nail glue will not look offensive, and he can replace it daily until the split grows out.