My consumer nightmare... Verizon Wireless... ouch

IntlSet

Bonjour!
Jan 29, 2006
Holy moly, Verizon wants me to pay them $400 for what amounts to one and a half months of internet usage.

I bought a Verizon aircard (just a wireless modem you stick into your USB port to access the broadband Verizon network) for the internet. The guy who sold it to me told me that (a) it's unlimited internet usage (b) it costs $40 per month. I walked out only with my aircard, a receipt for $50 (price of aircard) and a rebate for that aircard.

So not only does he sell me an unlimited plan that doesn't exist (they ended this plan 5 months ago so if you had it then, they'll keep you on it but are not adding customers) and gives me no booklets that stipulate or outlines the terms, but he also enters my address wrong so 1.5 months later, I call and ask them where my bill is. This is when I discover that they charged me $200 for less than two months of internet service, thanks to this total slimeball salesguy putting me on their most expensive "business" plan.

You can imagine that I'm pissed. I told them I want OUT of my contract. They said the 30 days were up, and I would have to pay $200 to get out of it.

So, in total, $400 for 1.5 months of internet service.

Hopefully I will only have to pay $200 of that (they said they'd call me back with a decision on whether or not I can "buy out" of my contract for $200) but even $200 for less than two months of internet seems like a scam!
So buyer beware...

Wow, I'm so sorry this happened to you! I always feel like I'm getting scammed when I deal with wireless companies but this is so above and beyond! Did you ask to talk to a manager? Last year I had a problem with Sprint and I talked to the "retention" manager and told them I wanted out of my contract and to keep me they waved some of fees and costs.

Wow, that is terrible! I don't see how that's even legal, since you were lied to about the service. I wonder if you can file a formal complaint of some sort? I'd try talking to someone that's "above" the person you spoke with. Remember: the squeaky wheel gets the oil! And they need to see if this whole mess is worth losing you as a lifelong customer. I'm so sorry you're dealing with this.

That is terrible! I currently have Verizon, for,right now anyway, they are the better of the 2 evils! I had a similar problem with Sprint!!! Then AT & T were not honoring a corporate discount that we had. Then T-Mobile gave us the phones and for almost 2 weeks we didn't recieve any texts from non-T-Mobile customers.

So I feel you! If they do settle make sure they fax it to you in writing!!! We are fighting with Sprint for a claim they put into collection that was supposed to be a settlement

If I were you, I would go to the highest manager you have to go to! If the store manager can't help, go to their manager! I had a problem with a big corporation last year, and it took me 6 months and about 15 people, but I got my issue sorted! What that guy did to you is WRONG!

OMG, that is absolutely insane!! I can't blame you for being furious!!!:cursing:

Do you have a service agreement or anything in writing when you bought it? I'd march right into the store and create a huge stink until someone fixed it. If they gave me the runaround, I'd insist I get the name and number of the district manager - someone 'higher up' to escalate.

Don't give up on this IntlSet!!! This is ridiculous!

Good luck and keep us posted on what happens!!