My condolences to all the Bay Area commuters...

Yup! The CHP's investigation shows the driver was traveling at an unsafe speed. I'm glad the driver is ok. But there's there's talk that the taxpayers will have to pay for this, so a lot of people are upset.

I just curious...where did you hear the news that taxpayers will have to pay for this? It's not our fault. It's that idiot driver who was speeding.

I would tend to think the insurance carrier for the trucking company will have to pay for this.

I just curious...where did you hear the news that taxpayers will have to pay for this? It's not our fault. It's that idiot driver who was speeding.

I would tend to think the insurance carrier for the trucking company will have to pay for this.

I heard it on kron4... I was watching their special report for a while. I'm not sure if they were just saying that because I don't see reports on that anywhere. I even checked their website, all I could find were the blogs.

But I totally agree that we shouldn't have to pay for this. I think his insurance and trucking company should have to pay for it, not us.

accidents happen, I dont think he should be blamed until a full report is made. Speculation is he was speeding, but thats just speculation. Governor is requesting emergency aid to start the rebuilding more quickly, im just happy no one was hurt, which is a miracle on its own. There are plenty of things that we all probably feel that we shouldnt have to pay for, but we do, this is just one of them. Goes to show you that the bay area's infastructure sucks ass.

If you're heading 580 east you'll have to take 880 south and for Walnut Creek 24 you'll loop back under towards 580 west towards 24.

Ughhh. 880 south through east Oakland and San Leandro sucks @ss on a normal day. Combine this with A's games at the Coliseum... man, I feel for everyone. BART is going to be a real nightmare. No way will they have enough trains or parking at the stations to accomdate all these people! My cousin commutes from San Leandro to SF and she is going to give up BART and take the ferry instead...

Ug...I can't even imagine what a mess it's going to be. I heard the governator this morning saying that this is a top priority - to get it back up and running.

So sorry for those of you affected!!!

I read today that the driver walked away from the crash and asked a taxi driver to take him to the hospital. Why would someone do that? Why not wait for emergency personnel first? I wonder if he was on drugs...

^ true, esp since he had 2nd degree burns. Who knows the real story.

porkchopz- how was the traffic on 80 going into the city?
how else are people suppose to get from berkeley to milpitas?? ugh, someone help..I lived here for 24years and I still dont know the streets, LOL.