My cat peed INSIDE my Bottega Veneta... advice please...

IntlSet

Bonjour!
Jan 29, 2006
Ladies, my cat took a p*ss inside my favorite bag, my Noce BV New Pyramid...

I contacted Barbara from Lovin' My Bags. She said she's actually encountered this "issue" several times before. Has anyone used Lovin' My Bags for their BV?? Please share any experiences.

The stain is on the inside only. It did not seep to the outer leather. I actually did not notice it, except the smell. It LOOKS like a water stain... but it smells of cat urine.

Should I go ahead and send my bag to Lovin' My Bags? I took it to my dry cleaner who actually told me he was scared to work on it because the bag is so nice. Should I somehow try to get the stain out on my own?

I would absolutely just chuck the darn thing if the stain damaged the exterior. As it is, I just want to get the stain out and the smell out.

Any product advice, service advice, etc.... would be so appreciated. Thank you, ladies.

Are you serious? Well, there is a product called Nature's Miracle. It is an enzyme in a water based liquid that breaks down the proteins that make the pee smell. You buy it at the pet store. I've never used it on suede. But the longer the bag sits, the worse off the smell gets. I'd ask Barbara ASAP if this is appropriate to do while you are waiting to send it to her for treatment.

Now for the cat, was he pissed off at you? That is the strangest place I've heard a cat pee out of spite.

^^^^
Yes, I'm definitely not making this up... actually, he inside another bag of mine as well, I think on the same day. I don't know what the issue is, but I will take him to the vet to make sure he doesn't have a urinary tract infection. Luckily the other bag was just a no-name suede bag from Anthropologie and can be thrown away.

He's always had a few stray pees, though. He tends to like to pee on things that smell like me (like a shirt or jeans), so it surprises me that he'd pee inside two of my handbags. He fully peed INSIDE them, not on them... like squished himself inside. I left them both on the carpet in my bedroom.

I never knew for sure whether cats peed out of spite or if that's a myth. Every other time he's peed, though, it's never been because of health reasons.

Maybe he hates his diet food! lol

ETA: And interestingly, I've NEVER caught him doing it. Ever. It's like he knows it is definitely not okay so he does it in private. LOL

OY! Check into the Natures Miracle stuff, it works like a charm, Hope you can use it in the interim.

BTW, I'm moving this thread to the BV care and FAQS sub.

Okay, that is definitely a new one for me - we have had the odd vindictive pee from our beagles but luckily they can't fit inside a handbag!

Nature's Miracle is a great product, though - hopefully it can be used to resolve the issue. or otherwise I've definitely heard good things about Lovin' My Bags. Another more drastic option, but worth investigating if you really want to keep the bag and the pee is really just on the lining, is to have the lining replaced entirely by BV...

Intl... I agree with Booker... get the entire lining replaced by BV. LMB does wonders on bags.. but it can get pricey. I think BV Beverly Hills can replace the lining.... (I called about it several years back). Good luck~!

definitely replace the lining. i don't think it is very expensive.
also if you change the lining you may be able to personalize your bag meaning a different color suede or fabric if you prefer. that could be fun.

I don't think it's necessarily spite. Cats (especially males) use pee to mark. He's letting the world know that you via your bag are his territory.

ASAP turn the lining inside out and away from the bag. Keep it like that until you decide what to do. Otherwise, the smell will eventually transfer to the outer leather. It's brutal stuff. I would do the following:

1) Turn the lining out so it is out of contact with the bag

2) Use a mix of Nature's miracle diluted. Swirl a toothbrush around in the liquid and use mostly the foam to start working on the stained area. This is how to clean suede. Do this even if you intend to have the lining replaced as then there will be less remaining pee in the bag for its shipping trip to be repaired.

3) Get the lining replaced by BV.

One of my cats did this as well inside a bag of mine. Ends up she had a urinary tract infection, and chose to use the potty outside of her litter box because she was associating it with pain. Definitely get your cat checked out, or keep a watch on him!

My previous cat (a female) used to pee on my bed when I would go out of town or even overnight. I'm sure it's because she was mad I was gone. I had her checked numerous times at the vet and there was nothing wrong with her. It got to the point where I had to buy a plastic paint tarp and put it on my bed when I left so she wouldn't ruin my bed.

^^^^
Yes, I'm definitely not making this up... actually, he inside another bag of mine as well, I think on the same day. I don't know what the issue is, but I will take him to the vet to make sure he doesn't have a urinary tract infection. Luckily the other bag was just a no-name suede bag from Anthropologie and can be thrown away.

OMG, this is horrible! Before you throw that Anthropologie bag away, maybe you should experiment on it with the Nature's Miracle. I know that stuff is used to get out animal urine from carpets and furniture. Whatever you decide to do, you have to neutralize that urine w/ a product that is meant to do so. Cat urine is the worse! Sorry again!

I'm so sorry to hear this! I had a cat pee inside my Goyard bag, and it was never quite the same. I too used the Nature's Miracle as well as baking soda, and it didn't work at all. I eventually had my bag steam-cleaned, which removed the odor but not the stain.

As others have said, I would have the lining replaced.

Good luck!

Ryan