My cat has obstruction :(

My cat did last year. He went into kidney failure after being unblocked, but we were able to reverse it with meds and fluids and constant supportive care. I will say Frank's vet did not give him very good odds, but we stuck with it. He was also sick for quite a bit after as he lost a lot of weight and generally became weird. We finally just got used to the weird part.

Mine had one but I am not sure it was all that serious. When the doc squeezed his bladder, whatever was blocking shot out across the room. I don't think he was on any meds afterwards either. I hope your kitty is well taken care of and gets better soon!

One of my cats did have this problem a few years ago. They unblocked him and we have never had another problem. Fingers crossed for a quick recovery for your kitty.

My cat who is 10 years old now, has had urinary blockages 3 times. It has cost us a small fortune, the last time was in December 2009 and the bill ran to $1400! But, anyway, luckily, he has been fine since. he had to stay in the hospital for 3 days and then when he came home, he was on various medicines. His kidney levels were high when he first went in the hospital, but, they came down quickly and he didn't have any long lasting damage. he eats special prescription food, which he has been on about 3 different kinds over the years. The one that seems to work for him is Royal Canin urinary SO, it's expensive, but worth it. Good luck with your cat, hope it all turns out well!

My first cat, Clydie, had this. I belive it's quite common in male cats of a certain age. I have never been scared as I was during that drive to the emergency vet. He was unblocked and then was put on a prescription diet, but thankfully, he lived another three happy and healthy years.
Good luck - I know just how worried you must be. Please keep us updated.

Well, we moved him to another hospital as the one we were treating him told us it will be $2100. Last time he had an obstruction (5 years ago), the bill came to 2K also. I can't afford this clinic again. I wonder if I should purchase insurance at this point since the cat is 11 years old.

My birman kept having obstructions when he was 1 year old,and after the 9th time in less than 5 months,the vet gave him an urethrostomy.He has been fine since,we still give him holistic food and bottled water,but he is well and happy now.

Well, we moved him to another hospital as the one we were treating him told us it will be $2100. Last time he had an obstruction (5 years ago), the bill came to 2K also. I can't afford this clinic again. I wonder if I should purchase insurance at this point since the cat is 11 years old.

Urinary obstructions usually fall under pre-existing conditions for pet insurance, so you may not be able to get coverage. Most companies will not cover blockages or reimburse you for any expenses you incur to treat your pet for them.
It's one of the sneaky things that some of the pet insurance companies like to do.

Pet insurance will not cover this for you! Since your cat has had this before, it is considered a pre existing condition and they will not pay for it. They check vet records to see if it has happened before. %2k seems like a LOT for this! I live in NYC and paid $1400 a year and a half ago. how long does kitty have to stay in the hospital??

Pet insurance will not cover this for you! Since your cat has had this before, it is considered a pre existing condition and they will not pay for it. They check vet records to see if it has happened before. %2k seems like a LOT for this! I live in NYC and paid $1400 a year and a half ago. how long does kitty have to stay in the hospital??

Ugh.. how "humane" of the insurance companies.

I have no idea why it's so expensive, it's like $650 to walk in the door, add a few days of cat being there on catheter and that's what it comes too. When I saw the bill, I had a shock.

sallygirl, I'm sorry! It was annoying and expensive when my cat kept getting blocked. I'm thankful that I was able to use our non-emergency vet for most things recently - they charge maybe2/3 but aren't open 24 hours and don't have overnight staff.