My cat gets car sick

My cat has the same EXACT problem. I moved from NYC to Maryland and I took my cat with me back and forth a few times before finally settling in our new home. I let me cat roam free in the car and I brought a small litter box with us and put it on the floor in the back of the car. Everytime we get on the highway my cat had to go! He goes in the litter box and once he is done I pull over and scoop out the mess. After that he is usually fine.

I used this method over and over during my move and it really worked for me, I hope it works for you!

My cat has the same EXACT problem. I moved from NYC to Maryland and I took my cat with me back and forth a few times before finally settling in our new home. I let me cat roam free in the car and I brought a small litter box with us and put it on the floor in the back of the car. Everytime we get on the highway my cat had to go! He goes in the litter box and once he is done I pull over and scoop out the mess. After that he is usually fine.

I used this method over and over during my move and it really worked for me, I hope it works for you!

That sounds great but the only problem is I also have two dogs. Not to be gross, but they love eating cat litter. We are taking a UHaul also, but in the front seat of that will be our snake. I may have to re-think where everyone is riding!

Some of you know that I am moving in a couple of weeks. Here is my problem. We have 2 dogs and 2 cats. One of my cats gets tummy troubles EVERYTIME she is in a car! Last time we put her in a carrier, but that was a mess because she ended up getting it (I will assume we all know what IT is, lol) all over her. I don't want her to to run freely in the car and get it everywhere. Her vet had said it is just her nerves and we really can't do anything about that. We are moving 3 hours away and I am not sure what the best way to get her there is! Any ideas?

When I plan to travel with any pet, I do not feed the animal prior to travel. If you plan to leave Tuesday at noon - Make sure not to feed the animal that morning and wait until you get to the destination to do so. The animal should have a little bit of water as they dehydrate quickly when stressed out, but solid food should not be provided.

You should continue to use a carrier despite the "Mess" that it might make. If the animal has already gone to the bathroom prior to departure, you shouldn't have a problem with #2. However, if it because very nervous and stressed out, it make vomit up whatever it can muster - From water and acid to simple dry heaves. If this is the case, you should stop and pay a little bit of attention to it allowing it to calm down a bit.

I fly with animals (Always in the cabin) from Birds to Cats and Dogs. My animals are very well behaved and well travelled. You should make it a habit to take your animals on short car rides to get them accustomed to the motion of the vehicle.

I would also suggest providing a small pillow (hypo-allergenic) similar to the ones provided on flights and placing it in the pet carrier with the animal. This will give it a place to relax and a bit of comfort from the hard, confining walls of the carrier.

Best of luck to you! Take care and drive safely!

That sounds great but the only problem is I also have two dogs. Not to be gross, but they love eating cat litter. We are taking a UHaul also, but in the front seat of that will be our snake. I may have to re-think where everyone is riding!

It is an extremely bad idea to allow your pet to roam freely in a moving vehicle. Many accidents (and escapes!) have occurred because of the lack of restraints. I certainly hope that you will not be putting these animals in the back of a U-Haul vehicle - The thought makes me utterly nauseous. I would highly suggest taking the animals in your own personal vehicle and driving your possessions separately.