My cat died from eating DRYFOOD

This is horrbible! I live in Europe and hadn't heard about this before. I feed my dog Royal Canin Dachshund. It's a little expensive 15 Euros for 1,5kg, but it's really worth it.

I realize that doesn't help the pet owners that lost their babies.

This was such an unfortunate accident. (My theory is, the farmers growing the wheat wanted to keep the rats away from their crops and they used rat poison. That got into the wheat, which was made into wheat protein and the wheat protein was used in the cat food.)

A lot of Toronto pet owners whose pets were affected are starting to file a class action suit against Menu Foods.

Techically, the farmers are responsible, but Menu Foods should have checked out the ingredient more thoroughly before they used it in their products.

Animal Crackers, my prayers are with your FMIL's cats. She's doing the right thing by bringing them in. I read that the cats should be fine if you catch it early enough.

The symptoms you should watch out for are lack of appetite and excessive thirst followed by vomiting.

(Pet owners, if your pets have been eating the suspect food, take them to the vet right away and have them do a kidney function test.)

This is so scary! I feed my two cats Iams dry food too!! This is just so confusing........does anyone know how long before you would notice serious symptoms if your cat does develop a kidney problem? My heart goes out to poor Benny....

This is so scary! I feed my two cats Iams dry food too!! This is just so confusing........does anyone know how long before you would notice serious symptoms if your cat does develop a kidney problem? My heart goes out to poor Benny....

Sappho, from what I know of the problem, cats do not show symptoms of kidney failure until when the situation is very serious. If you have any doubt, please get your critters blood tested by the vet. The blood sample will show if the kidneys are working or not. This is what helped me in finding a similar kidney problem, that can be then treated with a special diet.
Of course I do not want to "be the vet" here, this is just what worked for me in saving my pet's life in a similar situation.
Hugs to all the cat owners out there!!!

Sorry to hear that about your cat

My Cat died the same way. He had a gall stone and he couldn't pass water. Which lead to blood poisoning..

He mostly ate dry food too!!

He had to be put down and i was bawling my eyes out!

HUGS TO YOU~~

I'm so so sorry about your cat :crybaby: I believe your beautiful Benny is going to have a blast where he is now :heart: He can play with my Lucky too :smile:

I hate these careless people who endanger our pets... :crybaby: It's so heartbreaking, seeing how serious the situation is :crybaby:And now pets getting sick by eating dry food too? It makes me sick just thinking about it... :crybaby:

I would advise anyone that feeds their pet Iams to take a look at this website by PETA: www.IamsCruelty.com

Iams conducts horrific animal testing. There is a list on there to see which companies do not use animal testing. Menu Foods has also been busted for cruel animal testing (they make Iams, Eukanuba, and Nutro).

I strongly encourage anyone to check out the Whole Dog Journal's list of approved dog foods. Nutro and Iams are NOT good for your pets, regardless of how much people recommend it.

I would advise anyone that feeds their pet Iams to take a look at this website by PETA: www.IamsCruelty.com

Iams conducts horrific animal testing. There is a list on there to see which companies do not use animal testing. Menu Foods has also been busted for cruel animal testing (they make Iams, Eukanuba, and Nutro).

I strongly encourage anyone to check out the Whole Dog Journal's list of approved dog foods. Nutro and Iams are NOT good for your pets, regardless of how much people recommend it.

NUTRO is recognized by Whole Dog Journal and has made their "top food" list (both Nutro Ultra and Nutro Natural Choice). If we are going to provide information as fact let's make sure it is fact not opinion...... There's no sense in making anyone feel bad for their choice of food to feed their pet even if there are better options......

Quote from Whole Dog Journal.com

"So far, only two foods that have made an appearance on a WDJ "top foods" list have also appeared on the recall list: Nutro's Ultra and Nutro Natural Choice. The Nutro product featured the 2007 list of "top we foods," "Nutro Natural Choice Chicken, Rice and Oatmeal" variety does not contain wheat gluten and is not on the recall list. However, the Nutro product highlighted on WDJ's 2006 list, Nutro's Ultra Holistic, does contain wheat gluten and is on the recall list."