My cat died from eating DRYFOOD

hc1871

wantsilverreissue227
Feb 23, 2006
Hi all.

I know there is another thread about the pet food recall but I wanted to make sure you guys all know about this and are careful with your little fur-babies:crybaby:

My 4yr old Bengal Benny was put to sleep on Feb. 10th due to having 90% kidney failure. At that time neither the vets or us knew what happened to Ben. It happened very quickly like the news says. On the 7th he just stopped eating the next morning he threw up. I remember because I cleaned it up. We thought maybe he was just having a hairball problem because sometimes he would. But by the 9th he was crying so loud and just kept walking around the house. We took him to the vet on Saturday and then had to put him down.

Ben was eating IAMS "Dry" food for indoor cats.
He was also eating Friskies wet food (this is not on the recall list).

I find it strange that he died the same way all these poor other pets have died but by eating Iams dry food and not their wet food.

We still have the food and am contacting the FDA.

Please be careful about the dry food as well. I was reading on CBS NEWS website and there are other pet owners on there posting comments about their pets dying from kidney failure and they were just feeding them the DRY food.

Attachments

• benny.JPG
    benny.JPG
    43.8 KB · Views: 95
Oh, I'm so sorry. My dog eats Nutro Natural Choice dry and I go back and forth with mixing wellness dry in it, right now thought I'm taking it upon myself to only feed her the wellness, I don't want to take any chances!

My cats eat Nutro Natural too but I cant change as my one cat has a VERY delicate digestive system. I am so scared...everytime I feed them I think Iam killing them or something. I really could cry.

OMG this is so awful, i am sorry.

Selena, you can titrate them off with half regular food and half baby food which is very easy on their system..

:sad: I'm so sorry about your kitty. That is such a tough loss. But at the moment I'm REALLY worried about my kitty too! She eats Iams dry food in the original flavor, it's the only food that she likes. Do I pull it from her and try to go buy something else? What else should I buy? I'm unclear about what food is safe now!

My kitty hasn't been acting strangely that I can tell, she's been pretty much normal.

These are the ingredients in Iams dry pet food (chicken flavor):

Chicken, Chicken By-Product Meal, Corn Grits, Corn Meal, Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E, and Citric Acid), Fish Meal (source of fish oil), Dried Beet Pulp (sugar removed), Natural Chicken Flavor, Dried Egg Product, Sodium Bisulfate, Potassium Chloride, DL-Methionine, Brewers Dried Yeast, Choline Chloride, Vitamins [Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin A Acetate, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Thiamine Mononitrate (source of vitamin B1), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (source of vitamin B6), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement (source of vitamin B2), Inositol, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid], Calcium Carbonate, Minerals [Zinc Oxide, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Potassium Iodide, Cobalt Carbonate], Salt, Rosemary Extract.

I will check later and let you all know.

the reason why I ask is that this is an important ingredient for cats urinary tract health. I had a cat that died twice on the table due to an all dry food diet that DID NOT contain Taurine. (He was a miracle cat though - he made it - it took 3 days for him to come out of his little semi coma). They develop crystals in their urine without it and eventually get very clogged hence the kidney failure.

Oh, I nearly cried reading your post. I'm so sorry about your cat. I think the producers of that stuff that can be so bad to pets should be held responsible. I mean it's so terrible!

:sad: I'm so sorry about your kitty. That is such a tough loss. But at the moment I'm REALLY worried about my kitty too! She eats Iams dry food in the original flavor, it's the only food that she likes. Do I pull it from her and try to go buy something else? What else should I buy? I'm unclear about what food is safe now!

My kitty hasn't been acting strangely that I can tell, she's been pretty much normal.

I would say better to be safe then sorry and maybe look into giving your kitty something else till they know what it is that is killing the dogs and cats.

I mean I don't know forsure if it was the Iams dry food or the Friskies wet food but I think it is just strange that my cat died the same way as the other animals did. Since Iams is on the recall list I would think maybe the dry food had something to do with it. He was so healthy and to just get sick like that was so strange.

I have a new puppy as well and am so afriad about the food we are feeding him. It is Healthfood for Dogs. It is suppose to be all natural so I hope it is ok