My cat chews EVERYTHING!

m1nime

My beautiful babies!
Nov 12, 2006
<------- My almost 2 year old King Joffy literally chews anything he can get. From steel table legs, dvd covers, phones, pens, shoes, anything plastic and the list goes on!

I dont think this is normal for a cat? I will be taking him to the vet next week to make sure his teeth are ok, because my first thought is that he might have a tooth that hasnt erupted properly and its causing him pain, that is why he chews hard on everything to take the pain away??

What does everyone think? Does anyone elses cat do this?(I know its normal for a kitten, but full grown cats?)

I have tried to look into his mouth myself but its impossible. He is a stubborn little so and so!:P

I hope its just a bad habit and he doesnt have teeth problems. :crybaby:

Chiclet chews on plastic and Wrigley chews on phone cords. They are both 8 yrs old now and these particular habits started couple of years ago. But they both do it to let me know that they are hungry and I should prepare their dinner asap! Their chewing behavior is not encouraged and they have yet to swallow anything (Knock on wood!), so when I see them doing it, I just be the nice human servant and prepare their food or pick them up and divert their behavior by playing with them, etc:P

There is a documented behavior that seen commonly in oriental cats called pica, which cats chew/eat fabric (like wool), which can lead to life-threatening results. So I think you are doing a good thing by taking you cat to your vet just to rule out medical causes to your King Joffy's behavior:tup:. If this is purely behavioral, you can ask for advice how to help him stop it.

Chiclet chews on plastic and Wrigley chews on phone cords. They are both 8 yrs old now and these particular habits started couple of years ago. But they both do it to let me know that they are hungry and I should prepare their dinner asap! Their chewing behavior is not encouraged and they have yet to swallow anything (Knock on wood!), so when I see them doing it, I just be the nice human servant and prepare their food or pick them up and divert their behavior by playing with them, etc:P

There is a documented behavior that seen commonly in oriental cats called pica, which cats chew/eat fabric (like wool), which can lead to life-threatening results. So I think you are doing a good thing by taking you cat to your vet just to rule out medical causes to your King Joffy's behavior:tup:. If this is purely behavioral, you can ask for advice how to help him stop it.

apparently pregnant women experience pica too. Some eat ice, sand, and some other weird things.

I don't think he has a problem with his tooth, because if he did he wouldn't chew to aggravate it.

I hope your right! But to me it looks like he chews things right at the back teeth, like as if he has a sore gum from a tooth that hasnt come up or something? :shrugs:

I will be taking him some time next week. Will keep you all updated!

My kittens are like that. They'll chew on EVERYTHING. Pencils, books, my wacom tablet, DVD cases, etc etc. And one of them has a fetish for the taste of plastic. I cant' tell you the number of times I've had to play tug of war with him and some plastic he got from who knows where! 9_9

It could be gingivitis. Check your cat's gumline to see if there is redness. My girl used to gnaw on things but after some dental work, she's much better now.

I hope your right! But to me it looks like he chews things right at the back teeth, like as if he has a sore gum from a tooth that hasnt come up or something? :shrugs:

I will be taking him some time next week. Will keep you all updated!

If your gums are sore, chewing aggravates the situation. Now, if he was only chewing cold things, like ice, I'd say he could have an abscess. I'm glad you're taking him to the vet, because this is mysterious behavior.

Hey guys, please don't let your cats chew plastic. Plastic bags are processed with beef fat so cats love to eat it. Many cats die from intestinal blockages caused by plastic. It doesn't show up on x-rays. In fact a friend's cat died this way.

Please, please keep all plastic away from the kitties!

I am just updating this thread for those who care.

The vet said my boys teeth were in perfect, healthy condition and thinks he has behavioiral problems/ a bad habit.
He thinks it might be because my cats are indoor only and they may be bored with their surroundings.

The good news is, I am moving to a new house in a few months and this house is about 10 times the size of the place I am in now, and we are having a new outdoor enclosure made for them which will be about 8 metres long and have a flap that they can go in and out at their leisure.

The vet says this will probably help his bad chewing habits!!:P:heart::yahoo: