My Buyer is Suddenly No Longer Reg User - I'm Scared - Advice

benr

O.G.
Jun 22, 2006
I just sold a bag over the weekend to a girl who I was slightly suspect of just because of some neg. feedback fr. seller about buyer remorse, etc. Anyway, she paid right away so I thought, well guess I'll go through with this even with the warning even though she also didn't read my auction terms about contacting me first before BIN if any neg feedback. I hate when people don't read. So today I see suddenly she's no longer a registered user on Ebay and she also recently sold a couple other bags that are quite possibly in limbo that will never be sent to the buyers. Too soon to tell because the auctions just ended. What also makes me suspicious is she recently changed her ID in late July and then did the listings in August. Am I paranoid? I haven't shipped yet. What would you do? Just refund and walk away? How does a Paypal refund work if I already moved the funds out of there? Thanks for your advice!

One possibility is that she may not have had a current address on file. Sometimes ebay NARU's people for things like that; I'd suggest emailing the buyer (hopefully you have her email address as well) to see if she knows what happened first. Ebay would have had to email her saying why she was being suspended before just suspending her.
If she doesn't respond in a timely manner then I'd just suggest sending the refund right away. I believe if the refund amount is not in your paypal account, it'll just be deducted from your bank account.

mmm I would be very wary of posting to her. Is her address confirmed?
Please have it well sorted with her by email before you risk shipping & if her address is not confirmed I would refund & walk away!.

Yes, a paypal refund is very easy; you just follow the links to click on the refund tab and they will refund the amount. You will have the net amount you received (not including the paypal fees) deducted from your bank account that is connected to paypal and they will credit you back their fees.

In my opinion that's the safest way to handle it.

Good luck!
One possibility is that she may not have had a current address on file. Sometimes ebay NARU's people for things like that; I'd suggest emailing the buyer (hopefully you have her email address as well) to see if she knows what happened first. Ebay would have had to email her saying why she was being suspended before just suspending her.
If she doesn't respond in a timely manner then I'd just suggest sending the refund right away. I believe if the refund amount is not in your paypal account, it'll just be deducted from your bank account.

Yes, a paypal refund is very easy; you just follow the links to click on the refund tab and they will refund the amount. You will have the net amount you received (not including the paypal fees) deducted from your bank account that is connected to paypal and they will credit you back their fees.

In my opinion that's the safest way to handle it.

Good luck!

Thanks so much everyone for your advice! I'm going to email her to get her side of the story and go from there, but won't ship until I know things are in the clear. If I don't get a good feeling I'll promptly refund.

Just dont ship to a non confirmed paypal address. If you ship it to a paypal confirmed address and you get a signature confirmation you should be pretty well protected.

She's confirmed and I'm overly anal these days due to past scammers. I take still photos and videotape the item's condition while I'm packing it up and that shows the date, time, etc. I always get signature confirm. full insurance, etc. I also put a UV invisible marking in my items so people can't do bait and switch on me, so hopefully my bases are totally covered if this person tries to pull something tricky later.

Tell me more...what do you use to make the UV inviside marking? I'm in a scary situation right now which I'm afraid I'm getting scammed and want to make sure to cover all my bases! Thanks!

If you Google something like UV security marker, UV security pen, UV security device, or anything like that you should find lots of companies who sell anything from the most basic UV markers to more sophisticated UV branding devices. They were originally designed for people to mark their personal belongings with serial numbers or ID numbers in the event they were burglarized so that the items couldn't be sold later by criminals and things could be found more easily by the police later. Now they are becoming quite popular on with sellers of Ebay items to prevent buyers from switching the original bag you sent and replacing it with a fake. All my items have a marking and I never tell the buyer where that marking is located so they can't replicate it on a fake. On the day I pack and ship, I photograph the item with the marking under a UV light (many vendors will also sell little lights). If someone pulls a bait and switch on me, they'll never win a claim because I've marked the bag, documented it on camera and video (I know I'm crazy anal, but I got burned terribly for nearly 2K a while ago and I will never go there again). I make the buyer fully aware of what I do so they don't even think if pulling something on me. So far I've had great buyers who totally understand and think it's a great idea. Hope this helps.

Thanks. I look at it sort of like a house with a security system. The criminal might take a peek at my house from a far, but if they know I've got the security system, they're less likely to break into my house than someone else who doesn't have one. It costs a little bit to have and be so anal, but if it keeps the criminals at bay it's so worth it.