My bracelet dropped and I’m overthinking

XCCX

Instagram @thediarentist
O.G.
Nov 23, 2009
Hello!

So this is going to show how obsessive I am about certain things..
I was wearing my bracelet (sweet with carnelian) yesterday in the car and it fell on the car floor. I panicked and didn’t know what to do then forced myself to just put it back in it’s box (which I had with me in the car).
I don’t know what I’m exactly worried about, I know this won’t make me sick (germs) or anything but I’m mainly not happy that my bracelet caught some dirt..
I would wash it if it was anything else but I know ban cleef doesn’t recommend washing and I know that even if I did it (only this time) that I’ll be overthinking about the “damage” that could happen to it so it’ll be like I’ll solve one problem and create another one (in my brain).

I just want to apologize in advance about my not important post but I’ve always found help and support on this forum and that’s why I’m here.

Thank you!

Hello!

This is not a Cartier related post but a jewelry one nonetheless.

I was wearing my bracelet (sweet with carnelian) I yesterday in the car and it fell on the car floor. I panicked and didn’t know what to do then forced myself to just put it back in it’s box (which I had with me in the car).
I don’t know what I’m exactly worried about, I know this won’t make me sick (germs) or anything but I’m mainly not happy that my bracelet caught some dirt..
I would wash it if it was anything else but I know ban cleef doesn’t recommend washing and I know that even if I did it (only this time) that I’ll be overthinking about the “damage” that could happen to it so it’ll be like I’ll solve one problem and create another one (in my brain).

I just want to apologize in advance about my not important post but I’ve always found help and support on this forum and that’s why I’m here.

Thank you!

Hello!

I thought this post could belong here.

I was wearing my bracelet (sweet with carnelian) yesterday in the car and it fell on the car floor. I panicked and didn’t know what to do then forced myself to just put it back in it’s box (which I had with me in the car).

Thank you!

Hello!

Thank you!

I don't blame you for wanting to wash it lol I did wash my Carnelian 5 motif with soap and water gently and briefly, I do that with my Onyx too and it's once in a blue moon but I don't think it will hurt it, I do however recommend not to do that with stones like Malachite and such!

Reactions: XCCX
I think three posts on this topic shows that this is truly bothering you. Perhaps if you tried to break it down - what is it that bothers you about the bracelet dropping? I am assuming the inside of your car is fairly clean. Is it COVID related? Why do you have the bracelet box with you in the car? That suggests, to me, that you were already concerned in some way about the bracelet. Was it a big purchase and therefore it makes you nervous to wear it?

Are you normally concerned about germs / dirt? I mean, every day countless things of ours end up on the ground or near dirt. Have you had this issue before?

I think Van Cleef typically doesn't recommend washing with water, because many of their items are made of mother of pearl (which should never get wet). I think they probably just have blanket, very conservative instructions to avoid people damaging their items. However, your carnelia piece (which presumably is made out of gold) can certainly be washed with warm soapy water. (https://www.jewelryshoppingguide.com/carnelian-gemstone-guide/)

I usually wash my jewelry with Dawn dish soap, distilled water, and a soft toothbrush.

Reactions: DS2006 and XCCX
I don't blame you for wanting to wash it lol I did wash my Carnelian 5 motif with soap and water gently and briefly, I do that with my Onyx too and it's once in a blue moon but I don't think it will hurt it, I do however recommend not to do that with stones like Malachite and such!

I know right? I made myself put it back where it belongs and when I came back home I just wiped it..

I think three posts on this topic shows that this is truly bothering you. Perhaps if you tried to break it down - what is it that bothers you about the bracelet dropping? I am assuming the inside of your car is fairly clean. Is it COVID related? Why do you have the bracelet box with you in the car? That suggests, to me, that you were already concerned in some way about the bracelet. Was it a big purchase and therefore it makes you nervous to wear it?

Are you normally concerned about germs / dirt? I mean, every day countless things of ours end up on the ground or near dirt. Have you had this issue before?

It is indeed bothering me but I’m trying to overcome it, I do have cleanliness obsession in general (not a severe or compulsive one but definitely bothers me sometimes.. not exactly Covid related, no. I know that germs will die and that I won’t get sick because of this.. it’s just the fact that the bracelet got some dirt of any sort on it bothers me.. it’s like the bracelet is not “perfect” anymore although I do use my items very very regularly and never worry but.. I guess my brain tells me that dropping something is avoidable and I should not drop things and that’s (I think) what bothers me if you know what I mean.. I keep blaming myself and wishing this hadn’t happen..I am ok with normal wear and tear from normal wearing but stuff on the floor drives me crazy lol this applies to my bags as well..
While this is definitely a very precious purchase it’s not the biggest at all.. I just wanted to layer my cartier and vintage alhambra bracelet so I got the sweet clover carnelian yesterday and that’s why I had the box (sorry I didn’t clarify this before) I was basically trying on the bracelet in the car right after I purchased it.
Thank you so much for responding!

I agree. OP - do you have other OCD type tendencies? If so, it may be helpful to talk to someone so that small things don't take over your life!

I do have some sort of obsession but I’m trying to overcome it.. I read that someone should seek help when it starts to negative impact their lives.. sometimes I feel it does but maybe I still think it’s under control...

Also, I’m worried that if I decided to go ahead and wash it, a whole new obsession about it being “ruined” will start... see???? Ugghhhh can’t help it!
I would also want to clean every surface that touched the bracelet like the interior of the box for example... this is how far my brain goes..