MY Boss called me a Ni%%a!!

I don't know how it works in the US but in the UK you can't just fire someone so easily you have to have written warnings, disaplinary hearings, final warnings etc. So unless you have done anything very wrong (gross misconduct) you cannot just be fired and especially not for reporting someone that is unfair dismissal even without the back story

Take the complaint up with those higher this can not be left as is they need to know if they don't do anything then take it legal

I think it depends on the workplace but racial slurs are usually taken very seriously here and people can be fired on the spot for discrimination like that.

i would have a private conversation with your boss about it,and tell him how you feel, and then, if he continues, report it to the higher ups. make sure to document everything, time, dates, etc..

Agree. I believe you have to clearly tell him to *stop* first before going to upper management. I believe that in past sexual harrassment cases, guys have gotten away with the excuse, "Well, she never said that it was bothering her, or else I would have stopped." You need to have a conversation with him first.

Quenda, so sorry this happened. I can't believe this man!
Document everything for sure, but go ahead & tell your immediate boss what happened. Start there. Be sure you talk to your boss calmly & rationally.
Then wait to see what happens. At the very least, blabbermouth should get a verbal warning.
And write everything in a journal or notebook with dates & times.
Good luck, please keep us informed.

Unbelievable- I can't imagine that your company would require that you have to tell him to stop or that it makes you uncomfortable. It's kinda like having someone at work sexually harass you- it's not whether you asked them to stop because it was bothering you, it's the fact that it happened to begin with. And that is never an acceptable word to use in any circumstance, and I think any HR department out there would agree. You definitely need to report it, and if any retaliatory action is taken because you reported it, you need to sue. Can you imagine the field day the ACLU would have with something like that?

I guess I really don't understand why anyone is talking about lawsuits here. Unless the OP can clearly demonstrate the boss is isolating her and her alone on the basis of racial discrimination, there's really nothing to sue over. There are enough frivilous lawsuits in this country as is -- and it REALLY sucks that someone in this day and age is ignorant enough to still use the n-word. But that in and of itself is cause for internal reprimands, not necessarily cause for legal action.

Law suits are really no joke. They're a big hassle on all sides, it's a lot of money, and as unfortunate as it is, being a whistle-blower is really risky for your future: it can either benefit or harm your professional career, depending on how far up a corporate ladder you want to climb.

Undoubtedly, I will get flamed for this, but it's really, really sad to say that the reality of corporate life is that sometimes, compromises of integrity have to be made. It's not all about satisfying one's ego or seeking a vendetta with someone who said something atrocious -- it's really about self-protection. I would go about this the wisest, most subtle way possible.

I think you and anyone else who heard it should band together and report it. Behaviour like that should not be tolerated at all in the work environment. It is completely unacceptable especially from someone in a position of authority!

I say lawsuit because it appears to me that the corporation is condoning his actions by letting him continue to be a racist jerk. She's in fear of her job because he's been allowed to do this over and over. IMHO, it looks like a nice fat racial based lawsuit is the ONLY thing that is going to get his attention.

I'm usually the "turn the other cheek" type of person, but in this day and age, there is NO excuse for this kind of bahaviour in a boss/employee type of situation. I was there in the 70's only then it was sexual harrassment. There is NO reason she has to tolerate this chit at all.

^^^
Maybe I missed something in the thread, but if she has not asked him to stop (and although this may make her "uncomfortable," trust me, it is FAR less uncomfortable than sitting in a courtroom or paying attorney fees) or not yet spoken to his superiors -- how does he know to shape up?

As far as I can tell, the corporation hasn't condoned anything. Again, perhaps I missed a vital post in this thread. But it seems to me that an individual should have the opportunity to right his actions before being slapped with a lawsuit, or slapped from above by his superiors. I find it a little immature to be unable to face someone who is doing something so unethical that you want to sue them. Let's all be grown-ups and have a mature conversation.

There's a difference between (a) wanting someone to stop acting in a racist manner (b) wanting to take revenge or lash out on someone who one thinks is a racist.

I'm really not into wasting time, especially when it comes to things related to my profession. I think it is a big, big waste of time to blow things out of proportion. What he did was beyond wrong -- I'm a minority myself, I think it's terrible to use bigoted words.

Like the others have said talk with mgmt then corporate. U need to file a formal complaint. I don't see how they can fire you without cause. They'd rather get rid of the jerk than risk getting sued by you. Sounds like a very hostile environment and u should take action. Only get an atty if u get fired or want to battle this out. This is totally unacceptable - joking or not!!

watch your back... he knows he has F'd up and word has probably gotten around that you are not happy about using the phrase......so he is in get her before she gets me..mode.....hurry up and do your formal complaint, because I am sure he has done one on you and your "issues"...
I doubt he will be fired for using the N word- he did not use it in a deflammatory tone so, he will get a warning and a slap on the risk....