My black courier arrived- some thoughts

drati

by the sea
O.G.
Oct 13, 2007
Got a S/S 06 black courier in the mail today and ended up using it straight away! Normally I wait a few days before wearing a bag *out* the first time but I had to do a fair bit of walking around town with a couple of other heavy bags so the hands free cross body courier (no slipping off shoulder) came in very handy.

I am surprised how huge it is. It's a very wide bag. When it's worn it kind of moulds to the body nicely but it's def a big bag. If you think it's difficult to find things in the day then you'll be fishing endlessly in the courier! I don't mind, I've organised things quite well into smaller bags and can just find items by touch.

I was also surprised that the bottom of the bag has some kind of insert in it (like the twiggy), it's not soft life the bottom of the city. I'm hoping that it will soften with use (the one on my twiggy has softened up a lot). I prefer the courier to sit flatter and closer the body (it's what I love about the brief).

I love the design of the strap. It's doubled up and you can move where the buckle sits which is perfect to arrange it for maximum comfort.

The leather on this 06 courier is actually very nice, not thin and dry, not too distressed, just right. This S/S black is not as dark as on the F/W blacks (never seems to be), it's a little greyish in bright light but def not green. I don't mind at all on this bag since I was also looking for plomb/grey so the lighter black works well for me here. As long as it doesn't fade to green I'm happy.

You may remember my poll about which colour to go for. Well, I'm glad I got black. I think a bright colour would be really cool in the courier as well (see City of Light's coral -- stunning!) but for my purposes the black is perfect. I want to use it for traveling and wanted a colour where I didn't have to worry about stains or matching with what I'm wearing. I also didn't want a bag that screamed too loudly (sometimes when traveling it's better not to draw too much attention to oneself or one's bag, IMO). But one day perhaps, a bright courier would be fun (dreaming of rouille ...).

I haven't had the chance to take photos yet. If I get the chance tomorrow I'll add some here.

Thanks for reading my rambly thoughts! ;) :upsidedown:

Congrats!!! The courier is one of my favorite styles!!! It's a great big bag and it molds against the body well. Can't wait to see your pictures. Did you get the reg size courier or the XL size?

drati I appreciate the feedback on the courier!! I'm dying to see pics- its the one style I really want to try, but I'm afraid it'll be too big. Although so far, it looks great in all the modeling pics I've seen. Looking forward to yours!! :smile:

Drati..so thrilled for you..remember that thread about the Pfer who removed the insert from her Twiggy and it looked totally different?..can't wait to see pictures..hugs and congrats..

Drati..so thrilled for you..remember that thread about the Pfer who removed the insert from her Twiggy and it looked totally different?..can't wait to see pictures..hugs and congrats..

Quilter, yes, I do remember and that thought flashed through my mind when I discovered the hard bottom. But I'm just going to wear the bag in to see how it goes. On my twiggy the bottom has softened a lot (hanging it up with some weight in it has helped too). I'm a bit too scared to unstitch the lining on such a new bag!

Zacory, I got the regular size. It's plenty big. What size/colour do you have?

Sunny07, I love the cross-body no slip hands free aspect of the courier. In some situations that's that the best way for me to carry a bag and for many years I always wore my bags this way. I will let you know how the courier wears in, I'm sure as it softens more it will not seem quite so big.

I'll try to add some photos later.

i'm thinking of trying the courier, and you're making it sound really good. (:

It's a really flattering style, I think. It makes me look tall (well, I am, LOL) and lean -- probably because it is a big bag. Ha, maybe I'm just deluded? :lol:

Seriously, the city looks small on me (still like it though) but great on lots of girls here. It amazes me how different the SAME bag looks on different people.

It's night time here now and I didn't get the chance to take any pics today. Sorry. :hrmm: