My Birkin Was Stolen!!!

i am so sorry to hear about your loss.
it is so devastating and violating. it seems like those jerks knew what they were getting.
do call that restaurant and see if they can do something for you.

I'm so sorry Jlao~That is a real stinker! I must say "at least no physical harm was brought onto you." They could have waited for you outside.:shrugs:

Maybe your SA can offer you another Birkin after hearing of your unfortunate incident.

if the restaurant can't help or won't help...i just checked last week re: my homeowner's policy about my birkin. i have state farm and as long as you have the original receipt or a copy and some pics of the bag they will cover theft in and out of the home less a 500 dollar deductible. they also told me they will cover the cost of the bag even with the price increase. so if you have homeowners, be sure to check on it. state farm is working on getting handbags added to personal items (that covers "mysterious disappearance" ie. losing your bag and damage.)

surely the fact this is on video will strengthen your case with your insurance!

i am sorry the bag was taken from you but i am glad you were not harmed!!

I am so sorry to learn this. Crossed fingers for insurance coverage.
It seems like everything is up for grabs everywhere.
Ladies hold on to your stuff!

Luvbolide, thank you for suggesting me to write a letter. The words you used are very good; powerful and not offensive. Should I also include a wording to say that I am not discriminating the staff or restaurant (I sometimes see that at the end of a legal letter).

I'm sorry for your loss, jlao. You must be traumatized after your horrible ordeal :sad:

As much as we all would like the restaurant to reimburse her for the loss, the unfortunate reality is, the restaurant will most likely deny liability for such thefts. Realistically speaking, it is not the restaurant's responsibility for lost or stolen goods. It is the sole responsibility of the patron to keep an eye on their valued merchandise.

I read an article, where a diner whose coat had fallen off his chair was directed by the waitress to hang it in an unattended cloak room. The coat was stolen from the cloak room and the patron sued the restaurant. The court held the restaurant not liable because the coat had not been delivered to or accepted by the restaurant and so a bailment was never created. If a bailment does exist, the restaurant will be liable if it fails to exercise the necessary care.

Many restaurants, clubs, concert halls and public businesses have checkrooms available to safeguard guests valuables. With supervised checkrooms, a bailment between the customer who leaves property with a checkroom attendant and the facility is created. The attendant on duty accepts patrons garments or other property and issues a receipt as proof that the property was delivered. In many States, the limiting liability laws cover attended checkrooms and limit the restaurant's liability for losses occuring there. The limitation provision is similar to that provided by airlines, by federal law, for lost or damaged luggage.

The best thing for all of us is to be extremely vigilant with our valuables in public places. While dining, I never ever leave my handbag and other valuables on the floor (partly because I'm such a germaphobe). I always tuck oversized handbags behind me (tucked safely between my derrière and the chair). With clutches and smaller handbags, I usually rest them safely on my lap. :sweatdrop: