My Birkin cost $$ but shhh don't tell!

I think it's terribly rude to discuss how much things cost. My friends and family would die if they knew how much I spent on any of my bags, let alone Hermes. Truly, where I live, women are in awe of someone who spends $200 on a Dooney.

If anyone asks me how much anything costs, I say "I really don't remember."

Interesting thoughts. I agree that it's not anyone's business how I spend my money, and it's definitely best to keep money and work as separate as possible. No need to invite unnecessary questions.

I don't tell anyone,its absolutely mine and my DH's business what we spend,no-one elses.What we buy is not up for scrutiny,disaproval or whatever by anyone else,and its rude when they take it upon themselves to pass negative comments.

I did see a brilliant solution to avoiding saying how much you have paid for something...if someone asks the price of something,ask them are they interested in buying one,if they say no and still press the point,ask 'why exactly do you want to know then?'
It then leaves them with the uncomfortable task of having to explain why they want to know.

Reactions: obcessd
Everyone has different toys, I tell my children. Maybe some adults should take it to heart. :yes:

I know that I feel rather self-conscious when I wear my jewelry to work (when I am working) as I work in a male dominated environment and there is a lot of disparaging comments made about women and their *pricey* jewelry.

I think that everyone else has an opinion (strong one) about how another should spend their money...

Another cliche...People in glass houses should not throw stones.

I am always curious how people spend their money. I am always trying to make the most of mine and I am looking for tips, but ultimately, we all make different choices and that is that. Not really a good idea to discuss too deeply with others. It just brings out the "green eyed monster." :sick:

If my late MIL were still living, there is NO WAY I'd ever carry Hermes around her. Even though she carried Vuitton for 60 years, she deeply resented when I got my first. I will not carry my Hermes around my SIL, either - just don't need the hassle.

I really like Chaz' reply - great line - hope I get to use it someday!!!

Everyone has different toys, I tell my children. Maybe some adults should take it to heart. :yes:

I know that I feel rather self-conscious when I wear my jewelry to work (when I am working) as I work in a male dominated environment and there is a lot of disparaging comments made about women and their *pricey* jewelry.

I think that everyone else has an opinion (strong one) about how another should spend their money...

I am always curious how people spend their money. I am always trying to make the most of mine and I am looking for tips, but ultimately, we all make different choices and that is that. Not really a good idea to discuss too deeply with others. It just brings out the "green eyed monster." :sick:

All my aunties (my dad's SIL) are trying to get their hands on one. When they saw me carrying mine to a family dinner at a nice restaurant, they just wouldnt stop touching it. then the waitress brought me a a nice stool to put my bag. One of my aunties who sat next to me started telling the waitress to be careful with my bag. it cost 5 digit. the waitress got a shock..then she said something really appalling..'don't you know this bag?' I was like, good thing she couldn't even get her name on the waitlist.

Or ask them to google it themselves...
:P

"Why do you ask" is a good response, I agree.

My mother taught me not to ask personal questions or make personal remarks (e.g., weight, etc.). I taught the same to my children. What happened to manners?

I try to keep the price and sight of expensive things private across the board, as far as work is concerned. I dont park my car in front of or near our building ever. And I don't discuss the my private life, including expenditures, vacations, etc with co-workers. My rationale is that I dont ever want them to correlate my salary with me buying what they may feel are frivolous "things."

Obviously, its my money and I can do with it what I please, but better to not have any complications at work whatsoever. And IMO, the best way to guarantee that is to "fly beneath the radar" as much as possible.

I have friends who have gone so far as to purchase a very pedestrian car, as well as their chosen high end car, so that they can drive the regular car to work. The rationale being the same.

"Envy pre-emption" can be a wise move....;)

Interesting topic. I tend not to buy a lot of things but rather buy a few things that I really love. Others tend to buy a lot of things, the total cost of which would probably exceed what I've spent on one of my bags. I don't think one way of spending money is "better" than another. But spending a lot on one item does seem to get some folks riled up thinking about it.

As others have said, I avoid talking about how much I spend on anything. If asked, I'll usually say it was a gift. That seems to end the issue - and they don't need to know the gift was from me to me.

Brilliant!

Chaz, you rock!

I don't tell anyone,its absolutely mine and my DH's business what we spend,no-one elses.What we buy is not up for scrutiny,disaproval or whatever by anyone else,and its rude when they take it upon themselves to pass negative comments.

I did see a brilliant solution to avoiding saying how much you have paid for something...if someone asks the price of something,ask them are they interested in buying one,if they say no and still press the point,ask 'why exactly do you want to know then?'
It then leaves them with the uncomfortable task of having to explain why they want to know.

My dad admired one of my Kellys and asked how much it cost. Since it was my own dad asking, I couldn't really skirt the questions so easily and said it was more than a certain figure. Next thing I knew, he asked me for a car for his birthday. No really! And he got his car...

Reactions: Luluc1415