My Birkin cost $$ but shhh don't tell!

Ms_Jade

O.G.
Jul 25, 2007
I was wondering if we could have a polite, respectful discussion on what makes us want to keep how much we spend on Hermes, as opposed to other luxuries, a secret from family, friends, coworkers, bosses, etc. I started thinking about this in the thread about the boss who is traveling to Paris and the OP said she didn't want her boss to know how much a Birkin really costs. I agree that specific situation sounded a bit awkward, but so many other expensive things people openly flaunt (cars, jewelry, vacations, etc), or at least don't try so hard to hide, and aren't embarrassed about, so why the different attitude about Hermes? FWIW, I like to keep my finances as private as anyone else, I just think it's ironic how we sometimes go out of our way to hide how much H costs while not hiding other equally expensive nonessentials.

For example, an in-law who's into designer goods told my FIL that I bought a Kelly and how much it cost and he was appalled. However my FIL has no problem spending thousands of dollars on a musical instrument, his hobby not profession, and other family members routinely upgrade their luxury vehicles and nobody bats an eye. A double standard, or is this because bags are considered more frivolous than a car?

Reactions: madamelizaking
As an owner of more than a few H items and also a musical instrument, I guess my sense is I try to keep all of it fairly private...anything more costly than someone else *might* feel comfortable spending himself/herself is enough to make me not want to go there.....

Reactions: madamelizaking
I stop justifying myself to anyone a while back. If anyone peeved, get right back at them and tell them to get over it :smash:

I never care to mingle with those who has bones to pick with anyone anyway :throwup:

I think it is just that most people consider bags frivolous and do not seem them as works of art and craftmanship. Plus, there is a sense that bags don't have the longevity of a jewel , watch, or car.

I once told my colleague how much my H scarf costs (even not a H bag) because she said it is beautiful and we are close. She was purely shocked and every time she saw my scarf, she would like why you need a scarf costs 400 in front of my other colleagues. :shrugs::s
Eventually I replied back by why you need a LV bag costs 1000, a 10 dollar bag would work! :bagslap:
LOL! We still chat but we never go out together again!

It would be really unusual for someone to press me on details of a purchase. I prefer to down play monetary cost as it is hard to know what other people find scandalous or frivolous. For example, I need to be comfortable on an airplane, but if my MIL asked, all I would say is oh, don;t worry, I have a gazillion FF miles (which is true). I would also rather not discuss luxury resorts with my family or even friends who may not want or be able to do the same things.

I don;t discuss any of my luxury goods purchases with anyone unless really pressed or I know they feel the same way and have some of the same things. I would rather deflect the inquiry and just say, I've had this forever or got a great deal.

I think its saves a lot of hassle.

Last edited:
Reactions: alterego
Oh boy,. EVERYONE who knows/sees me with the bags makes faces like they sucked on a lemon about "HOW COULD I SPEND ALLLL THAT MONEY ON JUST A BAG(S)?" I turn my head & refuse to even answer anymore because what's important to them is VERY different from my priorities..
In-laws are the WORST in this case, I do not have yet, however my ex-boyfriend's family would SCREECH at the sight of my birkins.. I mean, volume to 100!!!:pout::cursing::bagslap:
My point to them was I never got in their face about what they buy or perhaps NEEDED TO UPDATE .. SO they need to butt out! lol sorry but this got under my skin

I try to keep the price and sight of expensive things private across the board, as far as work is concerned. I dont park my car in front of or near our building ever. And I don't discuss the my private life, including expenditures, vacations, etc with co-workers. My rationale is that I dont ever want them to correlate my salary with me buying what they may feel are frivolous "things."

Obviously, its my money and I can do with it what I please, but better to not have any complications at work whatsoever. And IMO, the best way to guarantee that is to "fly beneath the radar" as much as possible.

I have friends who have gone so far as to purchase a very pedestrian car, as well as their chosen high end car, so that they can drive the regular car to work. The rationale being the same.

I once told my colleague how much my H scarf costs (even not a H bag) because she said it is beautiful and we are close. She was purely shocked and every time she saw my scarf, she would like why you need a scarf costs 400 in front of my other colleagues.
Eventually I replied back by why you need a LV bag costs 1000, a 10 dollar bag would work!
LOL! We still chat but we never go out together again!

I probably try not to talk about price to avoid the above situations too. Because my mouth is a bit off the hook and it would likely get ugly... Good for you mimi123. It always amazes me how people presume to tell others "what they need." lol...

For the most part, no one that I know of would know that I carry Hermes items and I don't see it as something I need to tell. Deep down however, the main reason is if something financially bad were to happen (and it has), the attitude of "well, you spent ALL that money on that STUFF, serves you right" will surface. And for the record, it has (not regarding Hermes, but a vacation, a piece of jewelry, home improvements, etc). It has happened to me, my DH, to friends, etc. I sometimes wonder that the majority of people are actually

1) thinking you should NEVER spend money because "you never know"

2) are secretly glad that they can rub the "well, if you hadn't spent the money on THAT, you'd have it now" in your face.

No, I keep all aspects of my finances very close to my heart, VERY close.

I would never say what my H costs ,I know if my MIL knew even half the price my bags cost she would have a heart attack,
I feel its my time as when the children were small i never bought anything for myself now they have flowen the nest its my turn.