My bazaar Coach story...a letter to follow?

I think people have an irrational paranoia regarding "the letter". People seem to think it can happen for anything the Sas or managers deem suspicious. However, in 99% of cases, there are MUCH bigger fish to fry than you and your occasional returns. They are targeting the big guns - the people who buy scores of items on a regular basis or the ones who buy in quantity and end up regularly returning more than they keep. Regardless of what some people claim, this just doesn't happen to the average customer and never will.

I am certainly not the type of person to temper a story to make myself look better...if I was wrong, I'd own it.

I would never use a bag and return it. Just not my style, sorry. I'd take my lumps, sell it for a loss...or keep it. Whatever. I'm not so hard up that I'd need to do that, frankly...and it wouldn't be fair to the next person either. We had a big long thread on this.

And hopefully you're right...hopefully I'm just being a worry-wart and that I'm over-thinking things (which is my nature anyway). But I walked out there thinking the whole thing was bazaar.

Do I think I was treated unfairly? No. Not at all. But Coach is 10% to your face and 90% behind your back...so if the long and short of the story was what happened in the store--we're all good. But if I left and my account was flagged and they are all up in arms over things (which, hopefully they aren't) then thats the unknown that's scary.

I'm not trying to be mean, but that seriously sounds like something a paranoid person would say about the government and not Coach! Haha! I honestly think you will be fine and you have nothing to worry about. Like others have said, especially ms-whitney, you have to do some serious damage before Coach flags you down. I don't think you would be considered one of those people. It's obvious when people are resellers or are doing shady things to cheat the company. I know there has been discussion about Coach really tracking returns and enforcing this whole letter thing, but again, I believe you have to really stir up the pot in order for Coach to put you on their radar.

I think you did the right thing by being upfront and honest. And the fact you stayed calm and collected ! You were considerate to bring it to their attention so someone else wouldn't think they are getting a brand new bag only to find flaws. The 'what if' scenario I would most worry about is what if you didn't say anything, they looked over the bag, and told you ,"This clearly has been used"! Then this would make you look guilty or you might be embarrassed.

I work at a returns desk and I would much rather have a person give me a honest response than a dishonest one.

I've had on more than one ocasion someone return something with a stain or wierd mark on it, and I have stood there right in front of the customer and tried picking at it with a fingernail or going after it with a damp cloth/coach cleaning products. Now I work for a FP store so it's not like I can put the bag back out in the clearance section and discount it like an outlet could, but I've never DREAMED of the fact that it would upset my customer. I do my best to make sure my customer is happy and 99% of the time have every intention of swapping out a bag regardless of if I get the spot off or not. I've had a customer get a spot on her bag by her own doing and swapped the bag out instead of offering her fabric cleaner which would have no doubt taken the spot out.

Often times at my store if we have a bag that's slightly used or slightly damaged we'll send it to outlet because they can sell it at a discount, the company still makes money and the customer is excited because they got a bag for 80% off because it had a tiny pen mark on the lining. (I returned my bone embossed carryall due to a very small peel right at the seem and we'll send that to outlet to be sold. You can HARDLY tell I'm just UBER picky, and I have no doubt that someone will be estatic to get a $600 at a "damaged discount" when she prob wont even be able to tell WHERE it's damaged) Do some bags probably sneek thru that shouldn't? Yes, but we're all human we all make mistakes and outlets get TONS of bags and TONS of traffic so they're not going to catch every one of them either.

I'm sorry to the OP that thought the behavior was bazaar, I'm just saying I'd have probably done the same thing. I don't see anything in the OP that sounds like it would warrant the associates to call loss prevention and have your buying history looked into, and even if they did, it would take much more than 10 returns to warrant a letter (unless the was record of you returning items with no record of you purchasing them).

So tonight I was returning a bag to the outlet that I believed to be used and in not-so-great. I didn't notice the wear on it until I got home and once I saw it I just couldn't conceive keeping it. The leather was very scuffed, the lining was worn, and a few other tell-tale signs.

SO....

I took it to the outlet and when the SA asked me why I was returning the bag, I said that I really believe it was used. I showed her where the leather on the trim was clearly scuffed. I showed them on the lining where the sateen was worn. I didn't make a fuss or get pissy...I was just matter of fact.

The female SA called over another male SA who proceeded to take the bag and rub the material against itself!! Now, this isn't the sort of bag you should do that to!! No way, no how!! It was a delicate material! I told the man that I didn't see the wear on the body of the bag...just the trim and inside! But still he rubbed on...with force!!

Anyway, I fear now that I drew to much attention to myself instead of just saying "I changed my mind" I tried to stop them from putting this clearly used bag back on the floor. Pointing out that I felt I bought a used bag, and I'm going to be on the look out for a letter now...this sucks. I'm nervous.

I really don't see what was so bizarre about this. When you return an item, they inspect it to make sure it hasn't been tampered with, it isn't a fake, and it doesn't have so much damage that they have to destroy it or clearance it out. I don't take it personally when the SAs inspect a return because I haven't done anything wrong. I think people worry way to much here about returns and the letter -- it's become so blown out of proportion that it's almost Yeti-like.

I confess to a mild fear of The Letter. I went outlet bonkers over a two month period and althoug I bought and kept a lot, I also returned a lot, or rather exchanged things about which I later changed my mind or found something I wanted more. I'm trying to take my time before buying bags on a whim because I don't want to set off red flags with too many exchanges. I wish I could afford to keep *everything* but that's not possible right now. I just need to be more decisive, but there are so many goodies!