My bazaar Coach story...a letter to follow?

The letter is basically a ban...saying that you're a suspicious customer and Coach doesn't feel that you're a good fit for it's brand. They revoke your privilege to buy.

And yes, on the off chance that this would happen...my husband and I have different last names, so he would make my purchases...it wouldn't be the end of the world. And this particular transaction was done in cash. So the more I think about it, the less anxiety I feel.

also commenting on that 10% to your face 90% to your back..there was an incident where a sales person asked/sort of warned a tpfer and while it wasn't taken negative to the extreme she was taken back by it and certainly worried. guess what, nothing ever came out of it.

there's an example of where someone from coach told, but some say that that's inappropriate. so that's why a lot of times things aren't said to your face because it is not appropriate and at the end of the day there is still that line that a customer is treated with where you just don't say certain things to them..

it's a double edge sword

say something someone could get offended

don't say anything and comments like that arise

I've tried saying it politely but some just think it's downright inappropriate and how do you decide who can handle what? it's better to treat them all the same and not say anything because it can be viewed as not appropriate

Every time I've bought FP or from the Outlet they always ask my information and zip code and look me up in the computer, even when I pay in cash.

I think you will be fine, though! It doesn't sound like you've made a habit of buying and returning.

if you reread my post I said it goes either way..about the used/unused/used by someone else part.. but I like how having a part of the "used" gets magnified.

you are not as big of a worrywart as some others I have encountered and that is where part of my frustration lies. one worries and then gets others worried and while you seem to have a relatively cool head about this there are others 100000x worse and i think it's blown out of proportion.

I can see how this would be a source of frustration for you, you work for the company. I also work for a large company, and I know the ins and outs, it's more comfortable to be in the know. But when someone is on the "outside" and unfamiliar with the exact terminology it can be very grey.

What is this letter? Meaning they won't sell to you anymore? But surely you could pay cash or use a different credit card? Is it legal to refuse to sell to anyone? Not that I'm worried of it happening to me (I only ever bought one so far and didn't return it) but this just sounds so weird.

Tiggycat,
The letter is referring to a Ban letter from Coach Corporate. It is sent to people who are supposedly abusing the sale/ return policy of Coach. I have never gotten one but apparently some fellow Coachies have. It basically states to the person who get a ban letter that they are not allowed to purchase Coach in any store that sells Coach including FP and outlets. (Though I am not sure how they can ban people from buying via a department store - Macys, Nordstrom, Dillards, and Bloomingdales.)
I believe also people that are resellers have received ban letters as well. (Ebay and Bonanzle)

Lynne :biggrin:

I would not comment if that was true but I have turned in my two weeks more then two weeks ago as I have found a "grown up" job

I'll probably post less coming weeks but there's a lot I've wanted to say but have refrained so I guess I'm making up for lost time?

meaning, certain things are understood but not spoken. and not appropriate as I worked for the company at that time..some things i'll never say as I know better but I feel I'm able to answer a bit better and that now I no longer represent the company (and to be fair I never really did but word got out that I worked for coach making it harder for people to allow me to have my opinions as a person and not an entity of coach)

I would not comment if that was true but I have turned in my two weeks more then two weeks ago as I have found a "grown up" job

I'll probably post less coming weeks but there's a lot I've wanted to say but have refrained so I guess I'm making up for lost time?

meaning, certain things are understood but not spoken. and not appropriate as I worked for the company at that time..some things i'll never say as I know better but I feel I'm able to answer a bit better and that now I no longer represent the company (and to be fair I never really did but word got out that I worked for coach making it harder for people to allow me to have my opinions as a person and not an entity of coach)

Well, I work for a cosmetics company...and anytime anyone talks "makeup" and I weigh in, it's like what I say is "law" as opposed to individual opinion...so I know how you feel. I certainly know more than most, but I don't know everything.

I can imagine when you leave Coach, talking about it will be a breath of fresh air.

Years ago I purchased a bag at the outlet, but when I got it home, I noticed there was a mark on the suede. When I returned it, I honestly told them about the mark. Well! Suddently there were three other SAs looking at it with concerned expressions! They tore out the paper looking for any sign of use. I made a decision then to never go through that again.
This past summer I purchased something that had a defect. When I returned it, I made sure the defect was on the bottom, and when they asked me why, I just said I changed my mind. Why put myself through that humiliation when I don't have to.
It was such an insult to me that anyone would even think that I would be that dishonest. It makes me angry all over again just typing this.

This happened to me once. I got the bag, didn't notice the hangtags were missing. I was frustrated and took the bag back and I was asked why. I pointed out the parts that were missing. Then, the SA looked at me with suspicious. Now, I am very very careful examining the goods before I purchase any.

Ms-Whitney, it will be nice to hear your thoughts on Coach and all that, now that you are no longer employed by the company, I am glad that you will feel more comfortable talking about it like us non-Coach employed folks do! I understand that it can be a bit dicey to talk about something that you are employed by. Personally I like that a fellow Coach employee was in the forums responding, because you could be more sure about certain things than us folks on the outside!
Anyways, Italiahaircolor, I never knew about these letters. I learn so much from these forums... Everyone here always has something very intriguing to talk about! It doesn't sound to me like you would get a letter... Especially when you have all those folks that buy armloads for online reselling.

also commenting on that 10% to your face 90% to your back..there was an incident where a sales person asked/sort of warned a tpfer and while it wasn't taken negative to the extreme she was taken back by it and certainly worried. guess what, nothing ever came out of it.

there's an example of where someone from coach told, but some say that that's inappropriate. so that's why a lot of times things aren't said to your face because it is not appropriate and at the end of the day there is still that line that a customer is treated with where you just don't say certain things to them..

it's a double edge sword

say something someone could get offended

don't say anything and comments like that arise

I've tried saying it politely but some just think it's downright inappropriate and how do you decide who can handle what? it's better to treat them all the same and not say anything because it can be viewed as not appropriate

Not sure if it was me ms-whitney was speaking about, but I was approached by an SA at my outlet and told that I might want to make sure I didn't buy and return a lot of items, as that was a flag for them. I did post about it here on the forum at that time too. Even though I always had my receipts and they were mostly small ticket items like scarves, fobs, wristlets, etc, she still felt it was a good thing to tell me. Well, nothing ever did come of it, I never got the letter and I still shop at that outlet and most of the SA's know my name and recognize me when I go there.

I did change my habits after that comment from her in that I now only buy items that I know I will 100% keep. No more taking them home and thinking about them and then returning/exchanging them, even though I was told a lot to buy and return if I changed my mind by the same SA's. I think that after the initial surprise wore off, it was actually a good thing for me at the time. I was getting so wrapped up in going to the outlets to use the constant 20% off coupons they had at the time to see if I could find all of the things everyone else was finding. It was like a competiton for me and I am not a very competitive person. It's like I was in this Coach frenzy! LOL!

Anyway, all is still good and like I said, I do still shop there and still receive the FP PCE's so I guess I am still a good customer in Coach's eyes! Lesson learned by me, don't sweat it because if they want to ban you, they will ban you, and there is nothing you will be able to do about it!

I'm sorry that happened to you, they should never have had a bag like that on the floor, but I know the outlet can get crazy and I'm not sure they look at the bags much before they put them out. The rubbing part was weird, even if it didn't damage the bag I don't want a bag some stranger "rubbed against themselves" :nuts:

so the dude rubbed the bag the wrong way, what happens to the bag after you return it, is not your problem, Its just a bag!! should have he done it, no! why did he do it , who knows, but at the end of the day, its just a bag!

Just have fun and smile! life too short to wonder why people do wierd things!

Last edited:
again, more assumptions.. if OP says it happened word for word i don't understand how she was treated unfairly. the sales pple took back the bag and if he wanted to rub it together (weird) then he can? it is not as if it is her bag anymore, she returned it or they would let her return it anyways

i still don't get how having someone else come over to look over the bag, indicates the possibility of a letter, or unfair treatment

Agree...the SA sounded like they were just doing their job, however strange you thought it might be. I too, think there is an irrational fear of the letter, but I guess lately it's been given more often than normal and excessive (whatever that means) returning "can" be iffy..

When I was very new to coach I bought a khaki and brown MFF bag with the chelsea horse and carriage pattern and (initally) I was thrilled with my new purse. As soon as I got it home I cut the tags off but I didn't use it right away because it was December and the weather was terrible and I was afraid of getting it dirty. I just left it in my closet wrapped in a pillowcase.

By the time the weather improved and I was ready to use it, I had learned a lot more about coach bags (thanks to tPF!) and I took a good, long, critical look at my new bag. I decided that I would get tired of the H&C pattern very quickly and that I preferred the FP delete bags, especially the leather bags - even if I can only have fewer of them.

I was nervous about it but I decided to take it back the outlet for an exchange. Even thougt it was only $116 I didn't want to spend that much for a mistake I hadn't even used once. Although I still had the tag and the receipt I was afraid that they would give me a hard time because I had cut the tag. At the checkout the SA called over a manager who examined the bag very carefully - inside and out - before approving the return. They treated me very graciously the entire time and I was glad to see that they were careful about taking back a bag that might have been used.

So I don't think you have anything to worry about; you're a good customer and as previously mentioned "the letter" is aimed at abusers and resellers.

Last edited: