My bazaar Coach story...a letter to follow?

Aug 24, 2009
So tonight I was returning a bag to the outlet that I believed to be used and in not-so-great. I didn't notice the wear on it until I got home and once I saw it I just couldn't conceive keeping it. The leather was very scuffed, the lining was worn, and a few other tell-tale signs.

SO....

I took it to the outlet and when the SA asked me why I was returning the bag, I said that I really believe it was used. I showed her where the leather on the trim was clearly scuffed. I showed them on the lining where the sateen was worn. I didn't make a fuss or get pissy...I was just matter of fact.

The female SA called over another male SA who proceeded to take the bag and rub the material against itself!! Now, this isn't the sort of bag you should do that to!! No way, no how!! It was a delicate material! I told the man that I didn't see the wear on the body of the bag...just the trim and inside! But still he rubbed on...with force!!

Anyway, I fear now that I drew to much attention to myself instead of just saying "I changed my mind" I tried to stop them from putting this clearly used bag back on the floor. Pointing out that I felt I bought a used bag, and I'm going to be on the look out for a letter now...this sucks. I'm nervous.

muranogrl

Meet Poppy the Pug
Sep 18, 2009
What letter would you get? And I don't understand... why was he rubbing the fabric against itself? Is there usually obviously used items at the outlet?

ms-whitney

shopaholic
Sep 6, 2006
i have a feeling theres more to this story..am i right or wrong?

the fear of the letter has gotten out of hand, i would not worry as much, as people who've posted in the past may or may not have withheld additional info as to why they got the letter and those who feared, for the most part it seems..have not gotten the letter.

Aug 24, 2009
Wrong. I've returned a grand total of 10 (plus or minus a few) things in the entire time I've owned Coach... and at least a few of those were exchanges! I'm not sure what Coach calls excessive.

I swear. I keep really good track of my receipts and things.

No BS. It played out exactly as I wrote it.

Aug 24, 2009
What letter would you get? And I don't understand... why was he rubbing the fabric against itself? Is there usually obviously used items at the outlet?
Maybe to see if the suede on suede contact accounted for it looking "worn"? I cannot be sure. But I was screaming in my head "you're going to sell that again, don't do more damage then good!"

No, I've never encountered this before...EVER!

ms-whitney

shopaholic
Sep 6, 2006
then i wouldn't be so worried if i were you..just my two cents..but this is based on boutique experience as i have very little factory, both as a customer and obviously employee.

people who have expressed fear about getting a letter so far, as i remember, did not.

this fear of the letter is sort of ridiculous imho

Aug 24, 2009
I just don't want this guy thinking I used the bag and returned it. I never even clipped the tags...I would have returned it that day but I have been busy with work and personal stuff and it just got away from me.

ETA: I guess my fear of the letter comes from the fact that it can happen. I don't like returning this anyways...I still have a broken light-timer in my car from this fall. It just scares me. Irrational, maybe. But it's the "what if"

Apr 15, 2009
Wisconsin
I hope they let you exchange it. I was just at my outlet the other day, and asked for Sabrinas. The SA went in the back, and brought out one large cherry, I was so happy, so I thought. It had a few scuffs outside, which wasn't the big deal. I ALWAYS put my stuff in and try on before I buy. I went and sat down, it was not busy at all. I pulled the paper out, and BAM, the gold satin lining was FILTHY at the bottom!!! I told my favorite SA about it, and she said it was probably one sent from JAX, becuase their store wouldn't have taken it back as a return.

I can 100 percent understand that you honestly did get a used bag, it almost happened to me!!!!

The SAs treated you unfairly. I would document the icedent. I don't think you would get any type of letter, for returning a bag that was obviously used to begin with. I'm sure this happens more than we know.

Anyways, I hope you got a nice bag in exchange. I am so very careful now, and look at every inch of a bag, you kind of have to.

ms-whitney

shopaholic
Sep 6, 2006
thats the thing that i don't understand..where does this fear come from?

i'll say now, that even *if* you had one incident where (whether you truly used it or not and the store accepted it) the bag was returned..and the sales person looked at you or made a comment that allows you to assume they think you're suspicious (so far it seems to be more on your mind, though the rubbing is weird)

and they make a note of it..that one time doesn't do anything

it has to be flagged several time before it goes up the chain

i swear.

and also, returning something doesn't always count as a flag.

ms-whitney

shopaholic
Sep 6, 2006
The SAs treated you unfairly. I would document the icedent. I don't think you would get any type of letter, for returning a bag that was obviously used to begin with. I'm sure this happens more than we know.
again, more assumptions.. if OP says it happened word for word i don't understand how she was treated unfairly. the sales pple took back the bag and if he wanted to rub it together (weird) then he can? it is not as if it is her bag anymore, she returned it or they would let her return it anyways

i still don't get how having someone else come over to look over the bag, indicates the possibility of a letter, or unfair treatment

idaliacruz

Jan 5, 2010
your not gonna get a letter you get a letter if you buy alot and make it obvious your reselling or if you return too much making it seem like your trying to fool them somehow its theres no way your getting a letter for this incident i promise you coach knows what and who they send the letter to they investigate before a letter is sent out alot of ppl love coach and are regulars they can tell the difference

LuvsElvis

O.G.
Aug 12, 2009
MN
HI,
Sorry you had to bring back your new bag!!! I hate when people lie and return things after they use it!!! I wouldn't worry about "the Letter" . I think you are justified in returning the purse and pointing out why to the SA. I have bought and returned several wallets and handbags to my outlet and FP store. (Of course unused - The SA has even told me that if I don't like the handbag, I can bring it back. )
IMO - I think people that are abusing the Coach return policy - would get a ban letter. Example - returning a purse after it has been used or returning without receipts.
You should be ok!
I hope you find a new bag!!!

Lynne :biggrin:

Aug 24, 2009
I am certainly not the type of person to temper a story to make myself look better...if I was wrong, I'd own it.

I would never use a bag and return it. Just not my style, sorry. I'd take my lumps, sell it for a loss...or keep it. Whatever. I'm not so hard up that I'd need to do that, frankly...and it wouldn't be fair to the next person either. We had a big long thread on this.

And hopefully you're right...hopefully I'm just being a worry-wart and that I'm over-thinking things (which is my nature anyway). But I walked out there thinking the whole thing was bazaar.

Do I think I was treated unfairly? No. Not at all. But Coach is 10% to your face and 90% behind your back...so if the long and short of the story was what happened in the store--we're all good. But if I left and my account was flagged and they are all up in arms over things (which, hopefully they aren't) then thats the unknown that's scary.

tiggycat

Jul 29, 2009
What is this letter? Meaning they won't sell to you anymore? But surely you could pay cash or use a different credit card? Is it legal to refuse to sell to anyone? Not that I'm worried of it happening to me (I only ever bought one so far and didn't return it) but this just sounds so weird.

ms-whitney

shopaholic
Sep 6, 2006
if you reread my post I said it goes either way..about the used/unused/used by someone else part.. but I like how having a part of the "used" gets magnified.

you are not as big of a worrywart as some others I have encountered and that is where part of my frustration lies. one worries and then gets others worried and while you seem to have a relatively cool head about this there are others 100000x worse and i think it's blown out of proportion.