My bag is stuck in UPS purgatory

Status
Not open for further replies.

stylefiend

Oct 27, 2007
I ordered a new bag from BalNY on Monday. My SA was very helpful. And with the tracking number, I figured out that it was already in Canada on Wednesday. They attempted to make a delivery to my house on Thurs, but nobody was home so of course they had to bring it back to the centre. So I called them to let them know that I would pick up my package at the centre. Today, I check the status (b/c I received an email notification alert) and I find out that they did a 2nd delivery! I still go to the centre (which is practically across the city) and it was still on the truck from the 2nd delivery so I wasn't able to pick it up today. Apparently, the girl that worked at UPS told me that I can get them to have it delivered to my house tomorrow, as long as I'm home from 9am - 2pm. But after I got home and looked on the UPS system, there's no indication of that (and it actually says that it will be at the centre for pickup). So I'm hoping that at the very least I'll get it tomorrow, but I'm so afraid that they are going to mess it up again (and the worst case scenario that it will be sent back to the sender). Oh, I pray that I get it tomorrow.

Needless to say, there's this HUGE brokerage COD that I have to pay (practically 1/3 the price of the bag itself). I guess that's the price of making these US purchases (???). But I'm really turned off by all this trouble that i'm getting into with the delivery. It's such a hassle running around town trying to pick up a package and now I'm completely confused as to what's going on.

Once I get it, I'll do a nice reveal :yahoo:

P.S. Just received another notification alert -- what does this mean??
THE RECEIVER REQUESTED A HOLD FOR A FUTURE DELIVERY DATE. UPS WILL ATTEMPT DELIVERY ON DATE REQUESTED / AS REQUESTED, THE RECEIVER WILL PICKUP AT A UPS FACILITY AT THEIR CONVENIENCE. THIS MUST BE WITHIN 5 BUSINESS DAYS

I had a similar problem with UPS last year when I bought my Plomb Portefeuille. After 2 delivery attempts, I called UPS to schedule delivery on a requested date during a time that I would be home. The requested date came and went, and UPS was a no show. I got very worried because the cutoff date for when UPS would send my package back to the sender (due to failed delivery attempts) was fast approaching. So, I called UPS again and found out they had no record of my call for delivery on the requested date. :amazed: Needless to say, I was not happy. I had the UPS customer service rep change the delivery address (my home) to my office address. I received the portefeuille several days later.

My advice is to call UPS back and ask them to clarify what the notification alert means, and verify that the package will be at the UPS facility during the time that you plan to pick up your package. Good luck!

And congratulations on your new bag!! Can't wait to see it. Be sure to post modeling pics.

i'm also from toronto and had the same problem last year when i got my black city from them. i totally hear ya....
i was on the phone when the attempted to deliver, and couldn't take call waiting thru the gate house, so they turned away. Bummer #1. Then I called UPS to get them to leave the package for pickup in Concord. By the time I got there, the package wasn't even there yet, despite being called by UPS that the package was there waiting for me. Bummer #2. Then the brokerage fee, $380. Bummer #3. I almost fell over. :nuts:
Can't wait to see your reveal!

OUch! 1/3 of the price in brokerage?:Push::weird:

I'm also from Canada, BC...
I try to avoid all this by using usps instead, at least the package would be waiting for you at the nearest PO.

p.s. I'll be looking forward to your reveal! :smile:

stylefiend, here is how you can avoid hefty custom and brokeage fee, it's to clearb the item yourself. Last year I bought a Gicci bag from the outlet in the state, I paid about 10% of the bag for brokeage & duty.

This is what you do. Call ups with the tracking # and say you are going to clear the item yourself. Since your bag is ready for delivery, you can just go to the depot where ur bag is now located. After that, they will give u some documents where you go to the custom office (should be near by), then they will calculate the duty that you are supposed to pay. After u pay that off, go back to ups & they will release the bag.

If this is too much work for u, then u will pay the premium. I would recommend to check out the location of the center first. It might be too far from you.

it also included canadian taxes/duties. it was totally a shocker.
that's why i haven't bought from them in ages...
i love erica better! :biggrin:

OUch! 1/3 of the price in brokerage?:Push::weird:

I'm also from Canada, BC...
I try to avoid all this by using usps instead, at least the package would be waiting for you at the nearest PO.

p.s. I'll be looking forward to your reveal! :smile:

Yay! My package arrived! :woohoo:

The Brokerage COD was brutal. :cry: But it seems like they calculated everything right.
After the exchange conversion, they charged me 11% for duties, and then GST and PST after that. The brokerage fee itself was 91.20 bringing it all to a grand total of $590.35!

Stupid question -- but on my invoice from BalNY, it says UPS Worldwide Expedited, although my package was sent through UPS Standard (I believe the brokerage fee is waived if sent through Worldwide Expedited...)

I'll take pictures and upload them tomorrow!

Thanks for the tip, kobe939. I actually did some additional research after hearing about the brokerage fee, but driving 3 hrs to and from the center is not really option.

I think I've learned my lesson. I should just wait until I'm actually there in the US next time to make a purchase. If I could get it here in Toronto, I totally would. But sadly, Toronto shopping is so limited.

Oo:huh:o .. I hate UPS (or any courier company) for shipping. Regular post is so much easier. My last UPS shipment held my shipment for ransom (it felt like) until I paid their huge brokerage/duty/customs fees. I also dislike that I'm rarely home for delivery, and the depot is way across the city. So much hassle. Give me regular post any day!

Hope you get your bag soon!

I am happy for you, stylefiend, that you finally got your bag. Yes, 3 hours driving is really not an option. I guess I am lucky that I am only 20 minutes away from the center.

I totally understand what you say, HR is not really a great place to buy b-bag, plus it's so expensive. It's only worth going when they have 25% off.

Yes, the best would be buying the bag in person when you are in NY. And also, have you purchased from ****** before? I have bought a few from Erica and the price is awesome, plus she is very accomodating. The best is to pre-order from her becuase her stock goes really fast. Also, I usually have her shipped direct to me and she is from the State, but she declares it as a gift, so I don't have to pay any duty or custom.

Please post some pictures, we are all very anxious to see!

I have had such bad experience with UPS, i try to avoid them at all costs. USPS is much better but i'm glad everything got sorted! can't wait for your reveal!!

Status
Not open for further replies.