My baby Ebbie =(

irishlass1029

*sigh*
O.G.
Aug 30, 2008
Looks like I might lose my other dog now. I just lost Sassy Sept. 15th and now Ebbie is really bad. A couple of months ago she had what they "guess" was a stroke. She had a blood transfusion and a bunch of other stuff and when I finally brought her home from the hospital, it took a couple of days, but she seemed better than she had in the last few years. Like her old self again! She is older than 12, but I don't know how much older - she was a rescue and she still had good days and bad days, but never seemed to be in pain, even on the bad days.

Yesterday she had a seizure (she used to have them a lot brought on by extreme excitement -both good and bad) but hadn't had them for a long time. Nothing brought it on that I could figure out. But she didn't recover from this one like she used to. She's acting like she's had another stroke or something. Very disoriented and just not herself at all.

The vet said to just make her comfortable tonight and bring her in tomorrow. She's blind in one eye, but did okay and now I think whatever happened affected the other eye because she's running into things and just being really strange. Very wild eyes. He told me to prepare myself that he might have to put her down that it didn't sound good at all and I was really lucky to have these last few months with her.

I've just been bawling all evening and don't know what to do. I figured if anyone would understand, you guys would. I guess I just needed to get it out. I am sure glad I found this place! I feel like I am losing my mind.

I am a VERY positive, upbeat person usually but right now I just feel so low and so alone. First my husband then my dad (nursing home -alzheimer's doesn't know me) then Sassy and now Ebbie. I sound like a whiney baby, poor me, but dang I can't handle much more. Now my little girl?

But if the vet tells me it's time, I can't really disagree with him. I sure don't want her to suffer. It's just so freaking hard.

You came to the right place. A lot of us, myself included, have been in the position of doing the hardest, yet the kindest and most selfless thing ever, assisting a loving pet on their transition to the Rainbow Bridge. I usually fall apart for weeks when I have to do this, so I know what you are feeling. Plus, so close together with your other, you must just be in such pain.
Millie and Casey are sending Ebbie doggie love. And if Ebbie has to go to the Bridge, Tassie, Roscoe, Dee dee and countless other pets will be there to greet her, show her the ropes, and hang with her until, finally, you meet again.

Oh Irishlass, I'm so sorry for what you are going thru. I will think good thoughts for you and your Ebbie tonight. Hang in there and I hope that it helps you to talk about it here. :hugs:

Thanks, IrishGal and jenny 70 - I really am the typical pollyanna but right now I am having a huge pity party. Sorry for that. Thanks for your kind words. Getting it out really does help. Thank you. I just want to make Ebbie comfy tonight and hope for the best tomorrow...whatever the "best" turns out to be. I certainly want it to be the best thing for HER. She's been a really great, smart, loving companion and she deserves the best I can give her - even if it's what I don't want.

irishlass, omg I am so sorry about Ebbie. You have been through so many losses, life just is not fair is it. I will be praying for you and Ebbie. Please hang in there, and let us know what happens.

I can promise you this, if Ebbie does go to the Bridge, my first dog, Nails, will be there to greet her, and will show her where the best treat trees are.

Waiting for an update, please let us know. And you are not having a pity party. The group here loves their animals so much we totally have your back.

Well she is a little more alert today. The vet said to hold off until around 4 before bringing her in to see how she does today. He knows her and pretty much knows her condition and that it's only a matter of time. I think he thinks as long as she's not in pain it's going to be really hard (impossible) for me to make "the decision." So I guess you could say he's treating both of us. But if I have today with her and she gets worse again, it will be easier for me to make the call. I don't even know if that makes any sense. I don't even know if I am thinking straight right now. I guess I will see at 4 today.

On one hand, I know she wouldn't want to live this way but on the other hand...what if I am wrong? It's times like these I miss my mom the most. She was the most wonderful mother ever born. Ugh...now I am getting off into all that again. I am trying so hard to stay positive!

I really appreciate y'all...it's nice to know that there are people out there who say "I know how you feel" and actually DO know. I have friends who like dogs, but none are as over the top as I am about them, so they don't really "get it."

This place is like therapy and I really am thankful for you guys!

I will keep you posted.

Hope everything goes well and hope all the best for Ebbie!! My aunt has an older dog (yorkshire terrier) and it almost went through the same thing and everyone was prepared to put it down as the vet even said it didnt look like the situation would be better, but 24hrs later it suddenly took a turn for good and it was almost a different dog, even the vet was astonished at its recovery!! so, i truly hope it happens with Ebbie! :smile:

It already happened once just like that, invisible! But it's probably too much to hope for a second time? With each stroke, she loses more. I just don't want to put her through more of it. And she's such a good girl - it's almost impossible to tell if she's in pain. If it were "black and white" either way, it wouldn't be as bad, but it's just grey.

Irishlass, I'm so sorry about all the loss you've experienced. Now poor Ebbie. I'm hoping for the best, but whatever happens, many of us here have lost beloved animal companions. It hurts so much and there's no shortcut through it.

(((hugs))) to you and Ebbie!

Ebbie update - she's better! Not normal, but still with me and I even got some tail wags today. Vet said one more stroke would be it for her, but she's with me for now.

Thanks everyone - for caring and being here.