My ASO surgery experience at Zeah Dental

Catwoman1985

Oct 18, 2017
I had my ASO surgery for protruding mouth, together with V-line and cheek bone reduction, at Zeah Dental last week. Although my face is very swelling at the moment, I can already tell it takes an oval shape. As someone learned so much from this forum, I would like to tell my surgery experience, hope to help who is out there thinking to have this surgery done in Korea.

I was born with big cheek bones and square jaws, practically no chin. Over the years, I’ve done square jaw reduction, and had a silicone chin implanted, having botox injected now and then to reduce my facial muscle. But I am never happy about my face, something is wrong, I don’t know why until this year. I suddenly realise my biggest problem is the protruding mouth, my mouth does stick out from the profile!

I started to research online, on doctors and surgery method, that’s when I came across this site. It’s very encouraging to see that many people who had the same problem as me before, and now are happy about the surgery result. I may need two jaw surgery, I think, and flew to Korea, where most people choose to have it done.

I arranged four consultations. The first doctor suggested two jaw surgery, the second suggested facial contour. I had my third consultation with Dr Kang at Zeah Dental. This clinic feels so different - people are happy here. A smiling girl from the front desk took my name, another smiling girl took my X ray, another smiling girl took some photos of me… Soon enough I sat down in front of Dr Kang, and told him my concerns with the help of an interpreter at Zeah. Dr Kang is a young man with bright laughter. He told me that I needed ASO surgery instead of two jaw surgery, because I have normal bite and my face is not excessively long. He then showed me a video on how the ASO is performed. Basically four teeth will be taken out, and the room made is used to bring back my front teeth. “I want to make you beautiful”, he said enthusiastically, “your face will be in the shape of an egg”. That’s exactly what I want to hear. I saw some before & after photos at the clinic and asked a few questions about Dr Kang. He has done more than 4000 surgeries and he is actually 45 years old (he looks like 35 at the most!)

I feel clicked with Dr Kang, I trust him and would like to have the surgery done at Zeah. Nevertheless, I still visited the fourth doctor, who also suggested me with ASO. I came back to Zeah as soon as I stepped out from the fourth hospital. The girls at Zeah were waiting for me, I had the CT scan, two sets of impression and then was sent to a nearby hospital for some blood test. I was told the surgery would be in two days and I should restrain from food and water from the night before.

I arrived at Zeah at 9am on the surgery day. A nurse led me to the recovery room where I changed and locked away my belongings. I also had the indwelling needle in here. A few minutes later, I was led to the operation room. I lied down, was told to push my hair back. Something looked like an oxygen mask drew my attention, then I passed out.

I was back in the recovery room when I woke up. Dr Kang came to tell me the surgery went very well. I was happy but too weak to say anything to him. I had no pain, but a very upset stomach. I felt like vomiting, but nothing could come out because I hadn’t had anything to eat or drink since the night before. I was also very sleepy, but the nurse told me I had to wait 6 hours before I can sleep (upright), eat or drink. It was 6 long hours. I was given a bell to call the nurses at any time. Also a list with requests such as “I have pain”, “I am hungry”, “drink”, “I need to go to bathroom”… So I could just point at my needs, without talking. I found this very useful, in that situation, even speaking could be energy consuming. The girls came in and out, adding more medicine into my pipe, and telling me that I am doing great. Dr Kang passed one more time that afternoon, made sure I was all fine. I checked on the clock almost every single minute, begging time goes faster. I was so hungry… Finally time is up, a nurse give me a couple of nutritional supplement drinks. I felt so much better after taking some. My stomach calmed down a bit, I regained a bit more energy. I fell into short sleeps, woke up frequently. Soon the night fell, a nurse stayed right outside my room to take care of me. She was gentle and firm. I asked to flatten my bed, she adjusted the angle a bit and told me she won’t further flatten it, because it’s better for me this way. When I went to the bathroom, she waited outside to make sure everything was fine. I called her at 3am because I was in pain, she turned up in 5 seconds and added some injection into my pipe. I knew I was in good hands and I felt very secure with her.

I managed some sleep that night, much better than expected actually. The next morning, Dr Kang came to check on me. Making sure things were going well, he shutted my teeth with some wire. The nurses came to visit me and told me that I looked in good status, which made me quite happy. I felt much better too. I had another X ray taken, where I could see clearly my jaw lines are smooth and my chin is narrower. And there are a lots of screws! With some medicine and mouth wash, I was discharged.

Reactions: Yumigumi
ok, i look forward to it.
if you dont mind telling, what was the cost of v-line and aso?
The price depends on individual case. I had the jaw line revision, also needed to take out the chin implant, so the price would be different from someone who does it for the first time. Also the surgery methods are different, this affects the price too. The best way is to contact Dr Kang or his team directly, he will be able to tell you what you need exactly. His email is [email protected]

The price depends on individual case. I had the jaw line revision, also needed to take out the chin implant, so the price would be different from someone who does it for the first time. Also the surgery methods are different, this affects the price too. The best way is to contact Dr Kang or his team directly, he will be able to tell you what you need exactly. His email is [email protected]
thank youu!!

Reactions: Catwoman1985
Over the weekend, Dr Kang asked my situation. My face was swollen, but that was not the main problem. I had difficulty breathing, because my mouth was shut and my nose was blocked for most of the time. I spent a lot of time walking and applying ice patches to my face - the girls at Zeah told me walking will help to subside swell.

The swell reached the peak 5 days post-surgery. I felt my face could burst open at any time. My face was square - I would have cried if I hadn’t seen the x-ray. I told myself that my facial bones are now in the correct position, the square face is caused by swelling, which will subside soon… Now there is a waiting game to play.

Today I look almost like a normal person. If you don’t know me before, you would take me as someone who has a round face. My left face is doing better than the right side - apparently this happens to a lot of people, so there is nothing to worry about at this stage. When I touch my face, it’s still burning hot. Nevertheless, I am in good mood today and really looking forward to seeing the change every morning…

Reactions: Tna_bai
4 months post surgery, I am happy to come back here to share my recovering experience.

The first 2 months are really the abnormal period, when I was very self-conscious, took good care of myself, exercised reasonably and ate a lot of pumpkin soup. After the 2 months mark, I almost forget about the surgery as the discomfort diminishes. As of today, my face is dramatically smaller than before. I am particularly happy about my new cheek bone - they are not sticking out any more but but completely flat either - just the way I like. My facial skin is not at its best. But let's face it, I am in my thirties, my face is never going to look like the way it did in my twenties... I am actually considering to have threading done this year. Let's see how that goes.

If you have any questions regarding the recovering process, I am happy to answer them here. I would like to share with you that I am much happier today and my only regret is I didn't do it earlier.

Reactions: Yumigumi