my appraisal changed

gabz

O.G.
Jun 20, 2007
Canada Eh!
this is weird. in 2005 we got engaged and i insured my ering it was appraised as I1.

now i had a new appraisal done and it is SI2.

both appraisals were done by Birks, the top jewellery store in Canada.

the only thing i can think of is we had to adjust the way my stone sat in the setting since the first appraisal.

has anyone ever seen an appraisal change like that? for the new one i just went to the birks "drop-in" appraisal clinic so maybe they were working too fast?

momma22

Jan 7, 2010
So Cal
Appraisals are done by people and the results can be subjective. My guess is the stone is borderline and you just got two opinions.

gabz

O.G.
Jun 20, 2007
Canada Eh!
HatsTHat's what I thought too but it is actually signed by the same person I guess he changed his mind!

Jul 20, 2009
I would bring both appraisals in and see what the reason is. Alternatively, you could bring it to another jeweler store and get it appraise by another gemologist like European jewelery..

katdhoneybee

Meditate on that.
Jan 25, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
www.stylecrank.com
GIA is industry standard for diamond certification if you are thinking about using a different service - look for a jeweler who is GIA certified.

Diamond rating is subjective, but there's a really big difference between SI2 and I1. With I-rated diamonds, you can see inclusions without the use of a loupe. SI2, not so much. Perhaps the setting of your stone before made it appear more included, as you suggested. But I think it would be a good idea to go back and show both appraisals and ask if they can take a closer look and resolve the difference.

Good luck!

dell

Lovin My Little Girl
O.G.
May 23, 2007
Colorado
I would sure take them both in and ask. Did they not map your stone? They should draw your stone and map the inclusions so they can match that to your stone and see it is the same.