My 20-month-old daughter won't eat her meals

CanadianGal

Mar 20, 2006
Or she eats very little. She eats a couple bites then pushes her food away. She will eat fruit though and drinks her milk. Any suggestion to encourage her to eat more?

flowerboy

O.G.
Jan 30, 2007
This is very common called the toddler slump. Stop feeding her all day only 3 times a day cut milk to 2 times a day only 10-12 ounces per day. Easy to say to do but very hard to do good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using PurseForum

CanadianGal

Mar 20, 2006
Arrrgghh I've tried to cut down her milk but she gets so upset if she doesn't have it. It's really easier said then done…:sad:

AECornell

Mrs. Lawson <3
O.G.
Jul 21, 2008
Brooklyn
Water down the milk. May not taste as good, but she won't know the difference. Also, don't give her many options on her plate. Let her know this is what's for dinner (or lunch) and that's all she gets. Don't give her options. Also don't give her the option of snacks close to meal time.

I nannied for a little girl from 7.5 months to just over 2 and she did this same thing to me at dinner time. If she didn't eat what I gave her, then she was done. I also let her know that if she didn't finish a certain portion of her meal, she wasn't allowed to have a snack later on (if it was lunch time) or she would have to eat a certain portion and I would put bubbles in her bath (or something). I didn't mess around with it too much. She will eat, don't worry.

CanadianGal

Mar 20, 2006
Water down the milk. May not taste as good, but she won't know the difference. Also, don't give her many options on her plate. Let her know this is what's for dinner (or lunch) and that's all she gets. Don't give her options. Also don't give her the option of snacks close to meal time.

I nannied for a little girl from 7.5 months to just over 2 and she did this same thing to me at dinner time. If she didn't eat what I gave her, then she was done. I also let her know that if she didn't finish a certain portion of her meal, she wasn't allowed to have a snack later on (if it was lunch time) or she would have to eat a certain portion and I would put bubbles in her bath (or something). I didn't mess around with it too much. She will eat, don't worry.
Thanks for the advice. I'll going to try giving her 2/3 portions of her milk plus water down it a little bit.

Swanky

Admin
Admin
O.G.
Jan 12, 2006
I agree, no milk first. Also, no fruit until after the meal and less snacking.