My 1st Birkin: Did I buy the wrong one?? In person impression vs what I wanted!

NOIRetMoi

Dec 3, 2014
Hi guys,
I just bought my 1st Birkin last week (yay!!!), but I'm still unsure if I made the right decision, so please help me clear out my head
My requirements in no particular order: smooth leather, 25 or 30, black or neutral colors like (argile, etoupe, trench, tabac camel, gris tourterelle, curry, ochre, parchemin) and 2nd choice colors: toned down colors like darker blues (orage, Indigo, Obscur) or greens (Dark, Olive, de gris, fonce, veronese). I love exotics too and asked to see the ostrich at first just out of curiosity (my dream colors are Parchemin or Mousse).
I was shown a 25 Swift Etoupe w/ PHW (passed), a 25 Swift Etoupe w/ GHW (the ONE??), a 25 Swift (?) Gold w/ GHW (Didn't even take it out of the box, regretfully. Should have at least tried it on) and lastly, la "grande dame" 30 Blue Iris ostrich. The box opened and I felt: "NOW, a BIRKIN has ENTERED the room". The intensity of the blue, the ostrich skin, the size 30. THIS is what makes a Birkin is a BIRKIN. On one hand, what knocked my LOWLAND BOOTS from above my knees all the way to the FLOOR (but 2nd or 3rd choice originally, after black and neutrals), beaming in it's blue ostrich glory and on the other, what I've always wanted (an understated neutral), "dressier" for the nighttime, but it didn't make as big an impact on me in person ("it's a Birkin, not a BIRKIN", BUT I cannot stop thinking about it, now that I didn't go for it. I have a neutral color and size 25 smack dab in my head).
This blue could have been the 1st "color" Birkin I buy, after a "neutral" and a black (at least one of them in 25). What also persuaded me to get this 1st was that the SA said he always has Etoupe, but not Blue Iris.

My main doubts are the color and the size, for a 1st time purchase:
- a neutral is a neutral (taupes, beiges, etc) and you'll never wear a color (even a "neutral" medium to dark blue) as much as you'll wear a neutral.
- Is this blue fine in the summer?
- Is the 25 cm more versatile than a 30 because of it's smaller size and the fact that it can be dressier at night? (I can pretty much fit everything on a 25, like that it can be dressier, but like the size for traveling and the "presence" of the 30. That's a CLASSIC Birkin looks like).
- Did the neutral not make such a big impact BECAUSE it's meant to be understated? Also, leather vs. ostrich and 25 vs. 30 and neutral vs. color will always be Birkin vs. a BIRKIN? It just depends what you're looking for.

On the other hand:
- impact in person (blue) matters more than what I thought I wanted (neutral).
- since it's my first, I should go all in and with a BANG and get a COLOR because it's the first one. Gorgeous colors in one of the things Hermes is known for. Endulge!!!)

What people usually like and so do I (doesn't mean it has to be a rule though):
- neutrals and black in leather and bigger sizes (30, 35)
- colors in exotics and smaller sizes (25)
- should I have gotten NONE and waited for a 30 Swift "neutral" or "black" GHW or a 25 Ostrich "color" GHW? The though of leaving H empty handed, after dreaming of this day for so long, being given the "we don't have any/give me your name" only ONCE before (this was my 2nd try ), having a huge "moment" with another B and being offered exactly what I wanted, makes my head spin lol

Finally, my Pros and Cons:
- I'm an eternal sucker for neutrals. Had I gotten the 25 Etoupe, I think I would have slept the 1st night hugging the bag and wearing my Alpaca (beige) Valentino Rockstud flats lol A neutral was my DREAM Birkin and the 25 is perfect for day or night
- BUT it didn't make the impression the Blue ostrich 30 did
- Maybe it means that the 25 of my dreams is a black one (I have a feeling I will melt when I see it) and my neutral is a 30 instead?
- Also, as a new B buyer, does it matter that I bought the ostrich instead of the swift, that costs twice as much? Any benefits? Will I be offered "rarer" bags I wouldn't have been otherwise or they always offer everyone all they have, based on what they ask for, no matter how common or rare they are?

One thing is for sure: I can't wait for my next B adventure; in the meanwhile, please help me find out if I made the right decision or not, oh PurseForum Hermes Veterans!

I received my first H gift at the age of 14, but am by no means an expert navigating the waters of B shopping

1) Ostrich picotin 22 in cobalt WOWED me when I saw and played with it at the store than my B30 noir when I purchased it at the store. Same day experience.
2) I love my blue sapphire Kelly sellier ghw 100x more than my B30 noir.
3) I was so underwhelmed with B30 noir, black is not a true black in clemence. Kinda looks faded (yes I said it, lol!)
4) I am still thinking abt the day that bought my B35 gris mouette because I was also able to try on and play with a blue mini ostritch diorever. The stores are beside each other but could only take one bag home that day.

Hope my insights help. (I think you made the right choice) (**secretly wishing for a birdie**)

Reactions: NOIRetMoi
I think blue iris is way more special than etoupe or gold, specially that it's in ostrich. My sister has B25 which I find very hard to use daily, the handle is way to small and not practical while my mum B30 is one of the best bags I have ever seen. I'm a K girl so I don't really own any B, and regarding the color not being neutral I think it is in a way, and I don't believe that you need to have specific color for winter and summer this bag would match a summer white dress and would make a statement.

I know how you feel I got a Kelly in Togo retourne just because it's black, and wonder what if I asked for a sellier in any different color, but we will always have a second chance to fulfill our H dreams.

Enjoy the bag dear [emoji173]

1) Ostrich picotin 22 in cobalt WOWED me when I saw and played with it at the store than my B30 noir when I purchased it at the store. Same day experience.
2) I love my blue sapphire Kelly sellier ghw 100x more than my B30 noir.
3) I was so underwhelmed with B30 noir, black is not a true black in clemence. Kinda looks faded (yes I said it, lol!)
4) I am still thinking abt the day that bought my B35 gris mouette because I was also able to try on and play with a blue mini ostritch diorever. The stores are beside each other but could only take one bag home that day.

Hope my insights help. (I think you made the right choice) (**secretly wishing for a birdie**)

Thanks kathydep! Your insights definitely helped me. Glad I'm not alone in that I didn't have a "moment" with what I thought I wanted and instead with something completely unexpected. Funny you mention your black clemence. I saw a black shiny croc B 35 the day before (not sure if it was Nilo or Poro) and I wasn't wowed either *hides* lol Maybe it was too big for the woman wearing it? Maybe to me there's nothing more chic than a black croc Kelly Sellier in any size, so my opinion will always be biased? Give me a Beton Birkin 25 or 30, then we're talking
Having to choose just one in one day IS the problem, isn't it????

I think blue iris is way more special than etoupe or gold, specially that it's in ostrich. My sister has B25 which I find very hard to use daily, the handle is way to small and not practical while my mum B30 is one of the best bags I have ever seen. I'm a K girl so I don't really own any B, and regarding the color not being neutral I think it is in a way, and I don't believe that you need to have specific color for winter and summer this bag would match a summer white dress and would make a statement.

I know how you feel I got a Kelly in Togo retourne just because it's black, and wonder what if I asked for a sellier in any different color, but we will always have a second chance to fulfill our H dreams.

Enjoy the bag dear [emoji173]

Thanks, aishaaa89. I love Kelly's as much as I love Birkin's and one of my mistakes was to not have asked to see any K's that day, even though I said I liked both. Problem is, my favorite K Retournes are in Box Calf (do they still make them??) and Selliers are in exotics, especially croc. Nothing more classic and chic than a crocodile Kelly, no matter how old it is.
I do agree they could add an inch or so to the B's 25 handle without comprosing the design and making the bag a bit more practical. I have tiny wrists and wouldn't mind a bit more elbow room, especially if one is wearing gloves, a big coat, etc.
Yes, the B 30 is a great size. I cannot imagine going any bigger than that.
You're right. This blue goes with everything and yesterday I realized it's almost the same shade as my dark washed denim. What's more neutral than a pair jeans?
You can't go wrong with a K Retourne in black. It's one of my dream ones, but in Box calf instead
I especially miss it, now that my 1965 black croc Sellier 32 moved to Spain...

Last edited:
Hi guys,
I just bought my 1st Birkin last week (yay!!!), but I'm still unsure if I made the right decision, so please help me clear out my head
My requirements in no particular order: smooth leather, 25 or 30, black or neutral colors like (argile, etoupe, trench, tabac camel, gris tourterelle, curry, ochre, parchemin) and 2nd choice colors: toned down colors like darker blues (orage, Indigo, Obscur) or greens (Dark, Olive, de gris, fonce, veronese). I love exotics too and asked to see the ostrich at first just out of curiosity (my dream colors are Parchemin or Mousse).
I was shown a 25 Swift Etoupe w/ PHW (passed), a 25 Swift Etoupe w/ GHW (the ONE??), a 25 Swift (?) Gold w/ GHW (Didn't even take it out of the box, regretfully. Should have at least tried it on) and lastly, la "grande dame" 30 Blue Iris ostrich. The box opened and I felt: "NOW, a BIRKIN has ENTERED the room". The intensity of the blue, the ostrich skin, the size 30. THIS is what makes a Birkin is a BIRKIN. On one hand, what knocked my LOWLAND BOOTS from above my knees all the way to the FLOOR (but 2nd or 3rd choice originally, after black and neutrals), beaming in it's blue ostrich glory and on the other, what I've always wanted (an understated neutral), "dressier" for the nighttime, but it didn't make as big an impact on me in person ("it's a Birkin, not a BIRKIN", BUT I cannot stop thinking about it, now that I didn't go for it. I have a neutral color and size 25 smack dab in my head).
This blue could have been the 1st "color" Birkin I buy, after a "neutral" and a black (at least one of them in 25). What also persuaded me to get this 1st was that the SA said he always has Etoupe, but not Blue Iris.

- a neutral is a neutral (taupes, beiges, etc) and you'll never wear a color (even a "neutral" medium to dark blue) as much as you'll wear a neutral.
- Is the 25 cm more versatile than a 30 because of it's smaller size and the fact that it can be dressier at night? (I can pretty much fit everything on a 25, like that it can be dressier, but like the size for traveling and the "presence" of the 30. That's a CLASSIC Birkin looks like).
- Did the neutral not make such a big impact BECAUSE it's meant to be understated? Also, leather vs. ostrich and 25 vs. 30 and neutral vs. color will always be Birkin vs. a BIRKIN? It just depends what you're looking for.

On the other hand:
- since it's my first, I should go all in and with a BANG and get a COLOR because it's the first one. Gorgeous colors in one of the things Hermes is known for. Endulge!!!)

- should I have gotten NONE and waited for a 30 Swift "neutral" or "black" GHW or a 25 Ostrich "color" GHW? The though of leaving H empty handed, after dreaming of this day for so long, being given the "we don't have any/give me your name" only ONCE before (this was my 2nd try ), having a huge "moment" with another B and being offered exactly what I wanted, makes my head spin lol

- I'm an eternal sucker for neutrals. Had I gotten the 25 Etoupe, I think I would have slept the 1st night hugging the bag and wearing my Alpaca (beige) Valentino Rockstud flats lol A neutral was my DREAM Birkin and the 25 is perfect for day or night
- Maybe it means that the 25 of my dreams is a black one (I have a feeling I will melt when I see it) and my neutral is a 30 instead?
- Also, as a new B buyer, does it matter that I bought the ostrich instead of the swift, that costs twice as much? Any benefits? Will I be offered "rarer" bags I wouldn't have been otherwise or they always offer everyone all they have, based on what they ask for, no matter how common or rare they are?

One thing is for sure: I can't wait for my next B adventure; in the meanwhile, please help me find out if I made the right decision or not, oh PurseForum Hermes Veterans!

I received my first H gift at the age of 14, but am by no means an expert navigating the waters of B shopping

Your B sounds gorgeous. Don't worry. You totally made the correct decision. You got what made your heart sing.
I find that sometimes what we thought we want does not really translate into reality. You will always be able to find another neutral as you progress along your H journey. There will be many more B/Ks in the future!!!! It is indeed a very slippery orange slope. I like to be understated (I think I am) but my H bag collection started off with some colourful bags simply because H does glorious colours and when I was offered my bags, the colourful bags always out shined the neutrals. I am finally starting to add some neutrals to my collection this year.
Love, enjoy your B and wear her in good health!!!!

Bleu iris in ostrich is a wow color and DEFINITELY harder to find than Étoupe, which will probably never be rested. I'm biased on size as I don't like the B25 - I think the Birkin was designed at size 35 and doesn't work smaller than 30, that's purely personal - but the mini bag trend will abate one day. If you want a BIRKIN Birkin, IMO, 30 is a great size (you don't like bigger, and for a "wow" exotic color, bigger is NOT better).
This color is totally a "jewel neutral" and definitely works with denim, really ups the ante!
Buying an exotic will, I think, get you a decent chance at more Bs and Ks in the future.
You can find your black box calf Kelly retourné at resale more easily than in production - these are fantastic bags, I think :smile:

Your B sounds gorgeous. Don't worry. You totally made the correct decision. You got what made your heart sing.
I find that sometimes what we thought we want does not really translate into reality. You will always be able to find another neutral as you progress along your H journey. There will be many more B/Ks in the future!!!! It is indeed a very slippery orange slope. I like to be understated (I think I am) but my H bag collection started off with some colourful bags simply because H does glorious colours and when I was offered my bags, the colourful bags always out shined the neutrals. I am finally starting to add some neutrals to my collection this year.
Love, enjoy your B and wear her in good health!!!!
Thanks, littleming. Your reassuring comment helped soothe the thug of war between my heart and head a bit. Glad I'm not alone about having a "moment" with bags that weren't my 1st choices.
It definitely catches you off guard, when the one with all your checkmarks is standing right next to it and it's a bit underwhelming in comparison.

You made the right decision. I think luxury goods and logical thinking don't go too well for me together - it's more about gut feeling. It's just what you find most beautiful. And you can get another B too. :smile:
westcoatgal, you're absolutely right. Unless you can buy all the ones you like, making a decision is such a hard process, especially when comparing Apples (Etoupe Swift 25) and Lychees (Blue Iris ostrich 30).
My feeling is that this Blue Iris B will enter the room before I do lol
Can't wait for my next H adventure!!!

Reactions: westcoastgal
Bleu iris in ostrich is a wow color and DEFINITELY harder to find than Étoupe, which will probably never be rested. I'm biased on size as I don't like the B25 - I think the Birkin was designed at size 35 and doesn't work smaller than 30, that's purely personal - but the mini bag trend will abate one day. If you want a BIRKIN Birkin, IMO, 30 is a great size (you don't like bigger, and for a "wow" exotic color, bigger is NOT better).
This color is totally a "jewel neutral" and definitely works with denim, really ups the ante!
Buying an exotic will, I think, get you a decent chance at more Bs and Ks in the future.
You can find your black box calf Kelly retourné at resale more easily than in production - these are fantastic bags, I think :smile:

Thanks, Quellefromage. I like the B 25 and K 25 for night time bags or even day time ones, as I can fit most of my things (if I keep it organized) on a medium Chanel Flap and like bags on the small/medium sizes (K 28, B 30, Val Rockstud small tote (roomy for me), etc).
I like them as night bags and not because they're "mini" bags. Yoo totally right, A BIRKIN it's at least a size 30, not smaller.
The Etoupe Swift 25 GHW had all I wanted, l loved it, but it felt like a Birkin. The Blue Iris Ostrich 30 one came out and it was A BIRKIN. The black shiny croc 35 I saw the day before didn't have the same impact on me (maybe because I've seen them many times before, it was too big for the lady carrying it, etc). Give me a Beton GHW 30 instead anytime!
30 is probably as big as I'd go, but never say never
I noticed the denim match yesterday and was thrilled, as it's something I wear almost every day. Now I just need a gorgeous pair of blue flats and a blue refill for my H belt to mix and match. I think Aquazzura came up with some stunning blue flats recently (or Valentino Rockstud ones). If anyone knows of some stunning flats or boots (Stuart Weitzman, I think), let me know

Thanks about the info on buying the Ostrich first. I guess it can't hurt, that's for sure.

Do you know if they show you all they have, within your criteria or they save their most exclusive pieces, like limited editions, rare exotic colors, etc only for their super VIP clients? What does it take to place a special order?

Hi guys,

On the other hand:

I wouldn't hesitate. For me, you made the right choice buying "la grande dame" :smile: : it's an exceptional bag. You shouldn't have doubts or regretting a neutral you can buy later.

I wouldn't hesitate. For me, you made the right choice buying "la grande dame" :smile: : it's an exceptional bag. You shouldn't have doubts or regretting a neutral you can buy later.
Thanks, leuleu. She is definitely "la grande dame" and in the meanwhile, I think I should buy a small pretty neutral bag to hold me over, until I buy the neutral B and I'll be ok hehehe

I alternate among black, other neutrals, and pop for all my H bags, including my Kellys. (I don't prefer Birkins.) When I question whether I bought the "right color" at the right time, I remind myself that I'm in this for the long term.
Every now and then I put all my bags on the dining room table and organize them by either color or size or shape That way I see the gaps and focus on them for the next bag.

It's always hard when the head and heart don't agree.

Size:
B 35 is the classic size. Smaller and smaller sizes have become more popular because people are trying to turn a fancy tote and shopper into a handbag. 25s are very fashionable now but the 30 seems a perfect happy medium between the way a B was designed in the 1980s and a contemporary look/use.

Ostrich:
I have a few ostrich bags. Lovely durable leather (never have to worry about rain) develops a lovely patina just be careful with the handle and use a twilly or gloves. You can use ostrich as an everyday bag, easy peasy (unlike croc/alli/liz) just don't touch the bag after hand or face cream or snacks.

Colour:
I ordered an Etoupe bag, waited months and months and went home with a Bambou. Not everyone suits the same neutrals or 'neutrals'. Sometimes you need to listen to your gut and not question.

Perfectionism:
We live in a competitive world, try not to 'over think' or think as another. Go and take pics of your bag with fave outfits, see your bag as part of your world as it is, suddenly you will understand why you fell in-love with that bag.

Future:
They'll be other bags, enjoy the one you have.