Musty Smell?

caitlin1214

tPF Bish
O.G.
Jul 7, 2006
I was asked to post this by a member who wishes to remain anonymous . . .

I returned to my place rencently after being on a trip and realized it smelled STRONGLY like a hotel room and slightly musty. Of course, if my place smells like that, my clothes and hair probably smells to, meaning I probably smell :wtf: which is one of my biggest social fears.
What is the best way to get rid of the smell? and how do I know it is gone if I am used to it (like I probably was before) in a few days?

Yes it's true our noses adjust to odors around us. For example, you spray on perfume in the morning but by afternoon you might not notice it any longer (combined with it wearing off slightly).

For the musty smell, part of it may have been from having your doors and windows closed for the time you were gone. Meaning, there was no ventilation or air circulating.

You might consider getting a cleaning service as a one-off treat for your home (carpets, draperies, etc). and they may have some suggestions on what might be causing it (molds, etc). From my past experience a musty smell is a result of moisture, molds and poor air ventilation.

Hope that helps?

I would not rule out the possibility that it is just the way your friend's city smells. Especially if she lives in a place with very high humidity and a lot of pollution, if she took a trip to a place that is less like that, it will have cleared her sinuses like no pill ever could, and on her return, she notices for the first time, the smell of humid, dirty air.

She should not worry about smelling like that herself except when she is around a really cute boy she likes who just happened to come back from a trip to a place with lower humidity and cleaner air and hasn't been home long enough for his sinuses to return to their normally ****ed up state.

The best thing your friend can do about it anyway, is to continue what I am sure is her regularly scheduled hygiene regimen, including application of the fragrance of her choice, wear light cotton clothing and plenty of anti-perspirant for the humidity, and minimize the harmful effects of the polluted air by filtering it through a cigarette.

I've notice this happens when there is poor ventilation, especially a small space or when there is lots of fabrics (bedding, clothing, etc.). She can keep a dehumidifier (it helps the air even if it's not made for the smell purpose), keep windows slightly open, or leave on a small fan. Anything to help air get around. And wash things more often...even before you typically need to.