Must. Resist. The. Urge.

Mixedbag

Aug 9, 2011
More and more I am coming across glaring typos on eBay. I often have to fight the urge to send the seller a message so they can correct their template. Sellers, would you appreciate someone sending you a friendly message, pointing out a typo or would something like that warrant a big STFU?

It really depends. I have sent sellers messages about style names of shoes a couple times and they thanked me for it. Typos, I don't know. It wouldn't hurt to be nice and try.

depends on if it's an item I want or not ;) If I could benefit from its decreased search visibility, I'll do nothing, but if it's annoying and of no consequence to my interests as a buyer, I'll usually tip them off. I just did this for a seller who listed a pair of women's 7FAM pants as a 36 waist (the actual waist measurement) when the tag size was 31. I informed her that women are aware that the waist measurement doesn't equal the tag size, and listing them as 31 would attract more size 31 women and fewer girls looking for size 36 jeans for their boyfriends!

One consequence is as others have stated. A typo can literally affect your listing's visibility. And, if it is a seller with multiple items using the same template, it can cost them a lot in sales. Plus, honestly, it doesn't appear as professional. I know I have had typos and been embarrassed. Yes, I also know there are times, as a buyer, that I get a great deal.
I have been on both sides of this. I have been a seller who posted an incorrect item number and I have contacted sellers to let them know of a mistake in their listing. As long as you are polite, it really should not be a problem. :smile:

I think if you have a store on eBay, it's a plus if it looks like you pay attention to detail. As a seller, I try to take well-lit, clear photos, and I spell check everything to death. A typo can get through from time to time. But if there were typos on my template, I would hope someone would point it out to me, because that's something I use over and over.

great minds think alike... this is what I thought it was about as well....

Fortunately for my husband, I am a woman who fights the urge to buy something, every single day. I am winning the fight.

Yeah, the title was misleading. I didn't intend for it to be, but seeing as this is the eBay forum...:shame:

I think if you have a store on eBay, it's a plus if it looks like you pay attention to detail. As a seller, I try to take well-lit, clear photos, and I spell check everything to death. A typo can get through from time to time. But if there were typos on my template, I would hope someone would point it out to me, because that's something I use over and over.

And that is how I would approach it if contacting them

At the end of my listings I put something like "Please contact me if you have any questions or you can't see the pictures" which I think implies that I would like to be warned if I have an error in my listing. I have contacted people with success when I saw a big error in their listing but never just over spelling. It is more like when they say the item is Coach and it is Chanel. I can't stand poor spelling but I think that some people would get defensive about it. So I would mind my own business unless you see something else that really needs correcting and then you can mention the spelling as an afterthought.

At the end of my listings I put something like "Please contact me if you have any questions or you can't see the pictures" which I think implies that I would like to be warned if I have an error in my listing. I have contacted people with success when I saw a big error in their listing but never just over spelling. It is more like when they say the item is Coach and it is Chanel. I can't stand poor spelling but I think that some people would get defensive about it. So I would mind my own business unless you see something else that really needs correcting and then you can mention the spelling as an afterthought.

You make some really good points. I'm keeping my mouth shut. ;)

There is a seller I have saved that is really wonderful, but the formatting in her template is messed up. I keep thinking it's my screen, because I would think someone would have mentioned it to her by now, right? She's no newbie--she's been at this for awhile. I don't think it affects her sales, but for once I'd like to take the guesswork out of looking at her auctions.