MUST-READ: stats/facts/quirky quotes about almighty handbag (Shop Etc 9/06 issue)

bag.lover

O.G.
Mar 1, 2006
(source: SHOP Etc SEPTEMBER 2006)

Bag of Tricks
Get carried away by these stats, facts and quirky quotes about the almighty handbag.

1 in 10
Number of women willing to spend $150 or more on a handbag.

$24,500
The highest price that a luxury handbag (the Hermes Birkin) sold for on eBay.

22%
Percentage of women who would spurge on a handbag if they could choose only one designer item. Only 9% would choose shoes.

"Man Purse"
The name might have negative connotations now, but back in the 1800s, purses were small bags used to hold coins. Only men carried them.

5 lbs 9 oz.
Weigh of the average SHOP Etc staffer's handbag.

3 lbs
Weight of the average woman's handbag.

Number of bags Marc Jacobs has named after models, including the "Daria" (Werbowy), "Karolina" (Kurkova) and "Christy" (Turlington).

Number of handbags the average woman owns.

$42
Amount the average woman spent on her last handbag.

Gucci Medium Boston Bag
Fendi B.Bag
Louis Vuitton Baggy PM Denim Bag
The three most-requested "rental" bags on bagborroworsteal.com.

"No woman I know
could ever be a terrorist. Put a bomb in a Gucci bag? Oh, no way!" -- Joan Rivers

3 in 4 women
Have a "favorite" handbag.

Handbagging (v: to bruise)
Origin: Margaret Thatcher's no-holds-barred debating style and her lust for handbags.
Meaning: Her words had left her opponent as metaphorically bruised as if she had swung her handbag at him.

I wish I was still only spending $42 on handbags....gosh my whole house would be full of them....**sigh** unfortunately my tastes have gone up quite a bit.....

IndyCat said:
What did think of the bag in the picture with stats? I thought the color looked gorgeous but I'd like to see it in person.

IndyCat, I think the style and color are nice. I am usually not a fan of this type of material though, I prefer plain leather. I wonder how the sides of the bag look like, wait to see it in person first. =)

bag.lover - I agree that stamped leather can be hit or miss - but I think it works well in some designs. There isn't a Furla boutique where I am - maybe Nordstrom or Saks will carry it and I will be able to see it IRL.

bag.lover said:
IndyCat, I think the style and color are nice. I am usually not a fan of this type of material though, I prefer plain leather. I wonder how the sides of the bag look like, wait to see it in person first. =)

Taupe is available at Nordstrom online for $455USD, it's considered Extra Large size. Dune and Onyx are also listed, but they are probably regular leather?

Furla 'Yolande' Pleated Shopper

Pleated, croc-embossed shopper is embellished with an oversized leather tassel.

Two-way zip closure.
Interior zip and cell phone pockets.
Protective metal feet.
Leather.
By Furla; imported.

item# 54968
price: $455.00
Fit: Extra-large: Holds at least a magazine, water bottle, full-size wallet and sweater.
Dimensions: 18"W x 15"H x 6"D. Hand-held strap. Strap drop: 7".

IndyCat said:
bag.lover - I agree that stamped leather can be hit or miss - but I think it works well in some designs. There isn't a Furla boutique where I am - maybe Nordstrom or Saks will carry it and I will be able to see it IRL.

Thanks bag lover. I too saw the pics on Nordstrom's website and also on furlausa.com but no one seems to be showing the red.:cry: It was the deep red color that caught my attention in the magazine pic. Oh well, I guess that's $455 I can save for something else! Thanks again for helping me look. :P

bag.lover said:
Taupe is available at Nordstrom online for $455USD, it's considered Extra Large size. Dune and Onyx are also listed, but they are probably regular leather?

Furla 'Yolande' Pleated Shopper

Pleated, croc-embossed shopper is embellished with an oversized leather tassel.

Two-way zip closure.
Interior zip and cell phone pockets.
Protective metal feet.
Leather.
By Furla; imported.

item# 54968
price: $455.00
Fit: Extra-large: Holds at least a magazine, water bottle, full-size wallet and sweater.
Dimensions: 18"W x 15"H x 6"D. Hand-held strap. Strap drop: 7".