Must haves at MAC?

Nishi621

O.G.
Apr 30, 2006
I am not a huge MAC fan (I tend to buy most of my make up at Sephora, i am a big fan of Too Faced and SmashBox cosmetics and NARS blushes). I have tried some of their make up and thought it was ok. i do really like their lipsticks though.

Anyway, just got a $50 gift card to them for my birthday, any suggestions?

oooooh, congrats and goody goody!! :tup:

A few of my MAC faves:
- mineralize blushes - very sheer and layerable
- Zoom Fast mascara (or the Zoom Lash mascara)
- Plushlash mascara...mascaras are around $13 and are AWESOME
- checkout the lipsticks and dazzleglasses...it's like a candy store!
- Paint Pots are great as an e/s base...they go on creamy and dry to a nice finish.

Gosh, sorry that doesn't narrow it down too much. Are you looking for specific colors? If so, what shades of MU do you usually wear?

XXXOO PG

I'd stay away from the liquid foundations. They are just not MAC's strong suit - many here have had major problems with breakouts or uneven coverage.

I would definitely look at brushes, and precisely the ones that have been mentioned: 217 and 239. I just got them myself (it took me a while, even though I am a MAC junkie) and they are fabulous e/s blending brushes...my whole look has improved!

My other suggestions would be the Mineralize blushes, the pigments (the holiday mini pigment sets are great for that), the Cremesheen lipglosses (Boy Bait and Partial to Pink in particular) and the Dazzelglass Cremes. All of the items that I mentioned to you except for the brushes and the blush are limited edition, so it is worth it to get them now!!

If you want to get more bang for your buck, I would investigate and find out when MAC is having their next F&F sale. (And please report back to us if you find it out!!)

Happy Belated B-day!! :yahoo:

Wow. It's really fun to spend other people's $. Hee hee.

My suggestions would be brushes. (Just like everyone said, they do have fabulous brushes). I would also look at the mineralize blushes and skin finishes as well as their holiday collection. Specifically the pigment sets as I'm really a fan of the color selection that they did this year. Plus the holiday collection would probably give you a little more bang for your buck since they are meant to be given as gifts.

I would get the 129 blush brush - no matter what brand blush I'm wearing, using the 129 to apply it always makes the blush look glowy and natural...this past weekend, I was trying out some older blush brushes I owned (Body Shop and Revlon) - and they are not at all comparable!

Ok, just something to think about...Although, I adore MAC brushes Sigma brushes are great too, and they carry a 217 & 239. Some people perfer the Sigma 239 over the MAC 239, especially for foiling pigments. With that said there are several MAC brushes that I would never settle for a dupe for. The 189 & 134 are the greatest face brushes I've ever used. I use my 189 for foundation & 134 for setting powder and bronzer. These are brushes that if I didn't have already I would snatch up at the F&F sale. When ever in the heck that is going to be? *rumors flying*:wondering

I'm a big MAC fan and just love their eyeshadows. They have so many fabulous colors and I love collecting them. If you go to http://www.specktra.net/ check out the forums. There are tons of pictures of various products mentioned above. Maybe this might help you narrow down what you'd like to buy. My next purchase is the Sorceress palette from the Magic Mirth and Mischief collection. I was just at the MAC store at Woodfield Mall in Schaumburg, IL and didn't even look at this, not until I got to this website. Once you get to the forums, go to the Product Swatches forum.

Have fun shopping!

Ok, just something to think about...Although, I adore MAC brushes Sigma brushes are great too, and they carry a 217 & 239. Some people perfer the Sigma 239 over the MAC 239, especially for foiling pigments. With that said there are several MAC brushes that I would never settle for a dupe for. The 189 & 134 are the greatest face brushes I've ever used. I use my 189 for foundation & 134 for setting powder and bronzer. These are brushes that if I didn't have already I would snatch up at the F&F sale. When ever in the heck that is going to be? *rumors flying*:wondering

Oooo...thanks for the tips on the Sigmas, CajunFille'!! I was looking for something good to foil pigments with, since I am only using my sacred MAC 239 for blending e/s. (And it's so fantastic for that!!!)

^Hi Lo! I second the rave review on Sigma's ss239. It's a great brush! I haven't tried foiling with it, but I'll definitely check it out. I know you're interested in the 187 and Sigma's ss187 is fab!! I have both the 187 and ss187. The ss187 is definitely more dense/fluffy, so I'm not sure if you prefer that over the 187. I can see where some people may feel the ss187 is too big to control where blush ends up, but it's not a problem for me since I usually just wear sheer washes of blush.