Books & Music Music Recommendations

Nov 30, 2008
Not sure if a thread like this already exists, although I did do a quick search, but I had an idea and wondering if anyone else would be interested.

I am personally looking for some more recommendations for music to add to my ipod and although I do use the genius bar in itunes, it is quite limited in what it recommends. I am putting my requests down below for recs I am looking for. If anyone has any recommendations for me, please post...or you can also post what you are looking for and those with other recs can reply to you. If this thread already does exist, or belongs somewhere else, please just let me know. So, what do you think?

In any case...I am looking for recommendations for Jazz songs, but those that have lyrics to them. I love people like Michael Buble, some Chris Botti, Sade, Harry Connick, Jr., Diana Krall, etc. I love all jazz and have a bunch of instrumentals, but am looking for those smooth type of songs with lyrics...something like you would find in a quiet, smokey, dark lounge with a singer. :smile: No Dean Martin, or the like. Any song recs? Thanks!

Last edited:
Based on the artists you listed, try some of these:

Karrin Allyson
Elaine Elias
Jamie Cullum
Nadja Stoller Trio
Melody Gardot (really good!)
Lizzy Parks (really sassy and smoky)
Robin McKelle
Steve Tyrell
Jane Monheit
Madeline Peyroux
Veronica Martell
Renee Olstead
Sophie Milman
Chris Stills
Katherine Whalen
Sally Night

If you like French, Spanish or Brazilian language, try:

Paris Combo
Sara Tavares
Keren Ann
Rosalia De Souza
Esperanza Spalding

I'm sure I can think of more, depending on what you like.

I totally recommend you sign up for last.fm! It's this seriously amazing website that keeps track of the music you play on your computer and recommend new artists for you based on your taste!

You need to download their player first, so that way it can keep track of all the songs you play. Then, the more and more you play, the more artists it'll recommend for you! Doesn't look like there are a lot of people here that gave you recommends, so I would suggest you get on last.fm as it's the fastest way to discover new music. You can also meet new people who have similar taste to you, too! Best of luck.