Muse Two FAQs: closure issues, lining, maintenance, etc.

mona_danya

Personal Shopper
O.G.
Apr 9, 2006
I am seriously INLOVE with the smaller blue pink colour combo in the small/medium MUSE TWO and it happens to be on sale right now.....before I take the plunge please tell me all the pros and cons of this bag. It is a VERY big deal to buy this bag and have it shipped to me in Canada so I have to be at least 99% sure.

I love the style and colour combination and did see it in real life at NM last summer...WOWZA:nuts:

BUT when I look at some modeling pics i hate the way the top part pulls on the bag, but then maybe the bag is too full?? or does that only happen with the large size?

Also how hard is it to open and close the bag?

please mention any other issues you might have.....

The top flap does pull, that's just the nature of the bag and the way it hangs regardless of how much you're carrying. It does it less when you have the straps buttoned, so that's probably the way you would want to carry it, but there will still be some pull on the top when you're holding it by the handle. I have the large size, though, so you may experience some differences with the medium. I personally like how it pulls and hangs, as I find that it helps give the bag its distinctive look and is one of the things that keeps it from looking too boxy. It doesn't keep that boxed shape once the stuffing is out other than along the base which is rigid.

To open the bag, you will need two hands to undo the latch and especially to undo the straps if you're keeping them buttoned. You can have the bag hanging on your arm while you're doing this, though, so it doesn't require setting it down. Also, there's the back pocket which is where I keep my essentials when I'm out, as there is easy access. I don't know that the medium would provide enough room for me to do that, but you can at least tuck your phone and keys back there.

You should know that it's not an effortless, carefree bag so if practicality is a high priority for you, it may not be the right fit. Some of that will depend, though, on how much you can carry in the back pocket as that feature highly elevates the practicality of the bag for me. But the closure is a little fussy and it's not a super easy-in-easy-out situation with the various fasteners.

I adore mine and I have a high tolerance for fussy bags, so I haven't had any regrets and carried mine every day for well over a month before I switched bags. The only thing I can't really speak to is how the cream canvas/linen will hold up on the multicolor version you're looking to buy since I have the patent/suede version. That cream-colored canvas would be my biggest concern with the multicolor version, but I'm horrible with light-colored bags in general so I don't doubt that others can keep it looking beautiful.

Mona, I'm in the same boat you are. I've been struggling for weeks over whether to buy a Muse Two. On the one hand, its a gorgeous bag to look at, its very HOT right now, and if I'm going to get one, I'd rather pay $700-900 on sale, rather than nearly $2000 regular price later on... On the other hand, my tolerance is getting lower as I get older for fussy bags, and the Muse Two is a pain in the ass to get into IMO, bottom line. I have never been so indecisive about a bag.

can i join your club? i LOVE the style and am so tempted, especially with the sales, but keep reminding myself i really need an easy to access shoulder bag...it is so gorgeous though!

I have the large and the medium right now and the large hangs a lot more. The medium flaps won't stick up if you only close the middle latch.

I don't think it's extremely difficult to get into it, I sometimes just keep the latch closed and reach into it from the side.

It's such a beautiful bag, I think it's worth the little difficulty! =)

I am all about ease of use and just got this bag in Praline and I love it...it really is just so pretty and classy IMO. If you are concerned about ease of use, and you are not into the "flap" thing...don't get it. I have a TON of open top bags, that I use all the time, and the Muse Two is the only bag I have currently that takes effort, but because I love the look...I guess it is worth it. Shazam did a great job and I agree with everything stated on that message....

Good luck...it is a cool bag, but don't spend the money if you don't want the hassle of the in and out...and I am 5'4" and have the large and love the size, but I LOVE big bags...to me, it really isn't even that big....kinda perfect.

I have the large Muse Two and it is definitely not a practical, easy to wear bag but that being said it is one of my favourites simply because it is so classic-looking, beautiful and carries a lot.
It does take effort to open and close the bag; you have to use both hands. And forget about the two side closure flaps because that would make three parts you have to open!
I don't mind that the top part gets pulled.

I love it!

Thanks so much for everyone's responses and I am glad to see I'm not the only one torn about this style!

Style deciding and I have the bag hold for another few hours....:confused1:

I recently purchased one of these on sale. I live part time in the US and part time in a European city. For the US it has worked fine as I can somewhat take my time while checking out at the market, etc. I don't plan to take this bag back with me to Europe simply because the markets are packed with long lines of people rushing to get through and it's imperative to get your wallet in and out quickly, etc. and move on out of the next person's way, otherwise the crankiness comes out from people. This bag would cause me to be blacklisted from the markets I'm sure - ha. The Muse II has been a challenge to say the least for me personally. I won't carry my wallet or keys in the back pocket because I'm always bending over with my toddler, etc. and would not want to risk having my most important things fall out. While in the States this bag works a little better, but I still hate being in lines trying to fiddle with the latch while people want me out of their way. It's so pretty, but I wish it was easier. I'll be using my Downtown and Rive Gauches much more along with the Easy because, well....it's easy. Hope this helps.

I have the black patent Muse two and it is first and foremost a BEAUTIFUL bag!

I did have troubles at first with reaching certain items and opening/closing the bag - but as above posters have already mentioned - for my wallet and phone, I usually just leave the latch on and grab my items through the side. If I really need something to be convenient, I use the back pocket for easy in and out =)

Unless you need to access larger items frequently such as documents, A4/letter sized objects, access to small personal items shouldn't be too difficult

I just got large Muse II a couple of weeks ago so I'll chime in as well:

Re: access - it difinitely took some getting used to. Just as others said before me - you have to use two hands to open/close the bag.

Re: flap pulling - I actually don't mind it. I think it gives the bag character. I think both, medium and large, sizes pull. I've yet to see an action shot of that bag with the flap not pulling.

IMO, the bag looks great when full (not too crazy about the way it looks empty). I use the inside pocket (zipped one) for all the smaller things - wallet, sunnies, etc. The outide pocket on the back is handy for car keys and phone - this way I don't have to reach inside.

I guess, that's it! The only thing to add: I am so jelly that you found the pink/blue combo AND on sale!!!:nuts: Is it all leather or croc embossed? Anyhow, good luck deciding and if you do end up getting it, please share some pics.:smile:

I am sneaking in from the Bal forum - hope you'll let me in :smile:.

I love YSL bags but have not made the plunge yet.

I have stuck my toe in the water with the YMail wallet.

Not crazy about new Bal colors and my fav NM SA is holding a black patent Muse Two for me that is marked down to $669 from $1995 which is a great bargain.

They ahve the silver pebbled leather one too and although I like the silver HW more I am thinking long term I will do better with the black.

I love the look and size of the bag but I have a question which my SA also had concerns about too: how much of a hassle is it to get in & out of the bag with the closure?

Appreciate opinions from those of you who own this bag.

Thanks.

Thanks very much. It seems like too good a deal to pass up and I really do like the bag. I forgot about the back pocket which is where I can keep my keys & blackberry. I will probably get it or regret it later :smile: