multiple payments for item?

angellisa

O.G.
Jun 29, 2007
have any of you accepted multiple payments from a buyer on ebay? i am pretty sure it would void the buyer/seller protection so I don't really see who would want to do it, and i am a little hesitant. but i can also see how it could be convenient for buyers if they don't have all the $$$ upfront for a bag. have any of you done this before?

I think it's all the buyer's risk if they do it (we've had cases posted on here where a buyer has done that and found the bag to be SNAD and because they used multiple payments they were not covered). I don't think you have any risk as a seller, so it's up to you if you want to do that.

Before I found this forum and knew the risks and all the scams out there, I have wanted to do a transaction with multiple payment options (in my case because my mom was going to pay for part of an expensive piece of technology with her credit card and I was going to pay the rest in cash). It didn't happen. And now after learning that the purchase wouldn't have been protected, I'm glad it didn't.

Yup, the risk lies with the buyer. Paypal buyer protection is canceled out if the payment is not made in a one time payment. I have and still do multiple payments but only with people who I've done business with before and trust.

From PP Seller Protection:

You Are Not Covered When:
1.Items are picked up locally, or delivered in person.
2.You sell services, intangible items, or digital goods.
3.You receive multiple payments for the same item.
4.You've received a claim or a chargeback, and the shipped item is found to be significantly different than it was described.
Example: You describe a black laptop, but send a silver one.

I had a buyer ask about this and was told by PayPal that for each payment received, the Seller needs to provide a Delivery Confirmation/Tracking number for each payment.

I think it would benefit Ebay's business and the same goes for sellers, if there was a secure way to "layway" goods within reason, should the seller choose to allow for this on selected listings. I don't think that Ebay should bill extra for this service, as long as the seller and the buyer approve the transaction within reasonable parameters, I think it should be allowed and somethig should be designed to protect both buyers and sellers. I know that I have had several people ask me in the past if they could make payments on my items, and I was willing to accomodate those requests on the Bon, but NOT Ebay.

hmmm, guess i'll just tell the buyer no. I haven't had any SNAD experiences as a seller, but i guess there's a first time for everything so it's better to be safe!

question though, what if this transaction wasn't made through eBay? What if the buyer just Paypaled me the $? Would I still be unprotected as a seller?

I wouldn't do it if for no other reason that it complicates the transaction, and complications have a knack for turning into problems.

noshoe: Are you in the U.S.? Is what you posted from the old agreement? Kuz the new one does not exclude multiple payments from seller protection. I'm also wondering where the OP is located.

11.5 Items/transactions not eligible for Seller protection.

The following are examples of items/ transactions not eligible for Seller protection.

* Claims or Chargebacks for Significantly Not as Described.
* Items that you deliver in person.
* Intangible items, digital goods, and services.
* PayPal Direct Payments.
* Virtual Terminal Payments.
* PayPal Business Payments.
* Items that are not shipped to the recipient address. If you originally ship the item to the recipient address but the item is later redirected to a different address, you will not be eligible for Seller protection. We therefore recommend not using a shipping service that is arranged by the buyer, so that you will be able to provide valid proof of shipping and delivery.