multiple payments for item?

I wouldn't do it if for no other reason that it complicates the transaction, and complications have a knack for turning into problems.

noshoe: Are you in the U.S.? Is what you posted from the old agreement? Kuz the new one does not exclude multiple payments from seller protection. I'm also wondering where the OP is located.

11.5 Items/transactions not eligible for Seller protection.

The following are examples of items/ transactions not eligible for Seller protection.

* Claims or Chargebacks for Significantly Not as Described.
* Items that you deliver in person.
* Intangible items, digital goods, and services.
* PayPal Direct Payments.
* Virtual Terminal Payments.
* PayPal Business Payments.
* Items that are not shipped to the recipient address. If you originally ship the item to the recipient address but the item is later redirected to a different address, you will not be eligible for Seller protection. We therefore recommend not using a shipping service that is arranged by the buyer, so that you will be able to provide valid proof of shipping and delivery.

This is good info as always, KZ. I was under the impression that the buyer could file a claim for one of the payments, but not both of them.

OP, you could offer that you set up one of the payments as "for goods" and another payment for the remainder as "for services" or personal payment. It would safeguard you but not the buyer. That's only if you want to work something out with the buyer and be accommodating. It sounds like a huge hassle though for a buyer you have no history with.