multiple foundations

sdkitty

O.G.
Jan 16, 2006
Do you wear the same foundation all the time or do you have multiples? For different occasions or just because?
I used to buy one foundation (dept store) and wear it all the time until it was gone. I wore Prescriptives for a time, then Armani for several years.
Now through all the great information on the Internet, I'm finding reviews for drugstore foundation that make me want to try different brands.
I now have Armani, ELF flawless finish and Maybelline. The ELf is a bit light and needs to be mixed with the Maybelline (dream liquid mousse) for best color match. This works fine.
However, I found some positive reviews for Wet N Wild which - like ELF - is very inexpensive and also non-cruelty. So for a few dollars I'm thinking of trying that. Not that I need it but I think it's so little money, why not try it?
On the other hand, I could go to a dept store and get color matched and just get one good foundation. But some of those "makeup artists" are better than others.
Anyone else a collector of foundations?

i use one until it's gone and have been loyal to that brand about 4 years now. i have found a product that works for me and i never have skin issues like breakouts, pimples, etc. and believe it's because i don't switch up my foundation or makeup products at all. i sometimes try other foundations to experiment (like ones i see in ads or tv), but i end up tossing them out because they usually lead to a pimple, skin reaction, etc. i've learned that less experimenting with makeup foundation = clear skin. i see women in the world with really horrible skin issues, and i attribute that to too much product on their face or switching up products too often. so, a single foundation makes me happy:smile:

Reactions: kkfiregirl
i use one until it's gone and have been loyal to that brand about 4 years now. i have found a product that works for me and i never have skin issues like breakouts, pimples, etc. and believe it's because i don't switch up my foundation or makeup products at all. i sometimes try other foundations to experiment (like ones i see in ads or tv), but i end up tossing them out because they usually lead to a pimple, skin reaction, etc. i've learned that less experimenting with makeup foundation = clear skin. i see women in the world with really horrible skin issues, and i attribute that to too much product on their face or switching up products too often. so, a single foundation makes me happy:smile:
whatever makes you happy
my skin used to be more sensitive....these days not so much

Do you wear the same foundation all the time or do you have multiples? For different occasions or just because?
I used to buy one foundation (dept store) and wear it all the time until it was gone. I wore Prescriptives for a time, then Armani for several years.
Now through all the great information on the Internet, I'm finding reviews for drugstore foundation that make me want to try different brands.
I now have Armani, ELF flawless finish and Maybelline. The ELf is a bit light and needs to be mixed with the Maybelline (dream liquid mousse) for best color match. This works fine.
However, I found some positive reviews for Wet N Wild which - like ELF - is very inexpensive and also non-cruelty. So for a few dollars I'm thinking of trying that. Not that I need it but I think it's so little money, why not try it?
On the other hand, I could go to a dept store and get color matched and just get one good foundation. But some of those "makeup artists" are better than others.
Anyone else a collector of foundations?
Interesting question! I have 2 foundations in different shades for summer and winter because my skin tone can change as much as 3-4 shades once spring arrives. I sampled a few K brands - and they were dewy and lovely but they don't offer a dark enough tone for my summer skin. I am almost at the end of my Dior and not sure I would replace with the same - seemed to get stuck in the larger pores. Just tried a Chanel sample that came in the NM catalogue and it was the wrong color but felt silky to apply, didn't get stuck in pores and gave a light covering. I do collect concealer though. I have about 5 different kinds and use at least 2 at a time everyday. Different concealers for different areas (dry - under eye and oily - side of nose) and different problems likes brown spots, bruises from- ahem- fillers, break outs, dark circles. Those also get switched out for different shades when summer comes around.

Interesting question! I have 2 foundations in different shades for summer and winter because my skin tone can change as much as 3-4 shades once spring arrives. I sampled a few K brands - and they were dewy and lovely but they don't offer a dark enough tone for my summer skin. I am almost at the end of my Dior and not sure I would replace with the same - seemed to get stuck in the larger pores. Just tried a Chanel sample that came in the NM catalogue and it was the wrong color but felt silky to apply, didn't get stuck in pores and gave a light covering. I do collect concealer though. I have about 5 different kinds and use at least 2 at a time everyday. Different concealers for different areas (dry - under eye and oily - side of nose) and different problems likes brown spots, bruises from- ahem- fillers, break outs, dark circles. Those also get switched out for different shades when summer comes around.
funny thing - I used Armani foundation for quite a while - maybe 5 years. It was so highly rated but I never really loved it that much. I do have some now that I save for days when I want a bit more coverage or I have a longer day planned.

I use two different ones. I use makeup forever hd liquid on nights out/dinner. During the week, I'll just use bare minerals powder. I found that wearing the liquid everyday was: costly because the liquid ran out a lot faster, and it was way too heavy on my face for everyday wear. I have sensitive skin so when I found a face product that worked, I stuck to it. I'll use mascara, blush, eyeliner, etc. from the drugstore but figured out early on that I could never find the right foundation color for my skin and it didn't react correctly with drugstore products.

Right now my rotation is Bobbi Brown liquid foundation on the weekdays, Chanel Vita foundation on weekends, and when summer is in full force, I'll wear my Stila tinted moisturizer. I bought the Bobbi Brown and Chanel foundations at the same time, at the beginning of the year, because after test-driving them, I still couldn't decide. Now that I've been wearing them a few months, I have found that the Chanel makes my skin look better so I "save" this pricey makeup for the weekends!

Reactions: sdkitty
At least you've been lucky enough to find the one. For me, it's an ongoing experience. If I could just find a medium to light satin foundation that has enough dark shades to give me a good color match and also no fragrance, I would be happy. I tend to make almost any foundation work simply by knowing my skin more so than liking the foundation.

Reactions: ccbaggirl89
At least you've been lucky enough to find the one. For me, it's an ongoing experience. If I could just find a medium to light satin foundation that has enough dark shades to give me a good color match and also no fragrance, I would be happy. I tend to make almost any foundation work simply by knowing my skin more so than liking the foundation.
well, it was through trial and error, of course. i went through many drugstore and luxury brands before i found one that works for my skin. i'm american, but actually use korean products exclusively, i found that korean women have a skin type similar to mine and that american products lag behind korean skin product innovations. now i read foundation ingredients too, b/c i know what works on my skin (it appears my oily skin loves mineral oil as a main ingredient, which i never would have guessed)

well, it was through trial and error, of course. i went through many drugstore and luxury brands before i found one that works for my skin. i'm american, but actually use korean products exclusively, i found that korean women have a skin type similar to mine and that american products lag behind korean skin product innovations. now i read foundation ingredients too, b/c i know what works on my skin (it appears my oily skin loves mineral oil as a main ingredient, which i never would have guessed)

I've heard a lot of Korean products getting praised although for me, I notice the ingredients for some of their stuff aren't any different (I'm such a skeptic so I root out the science blogs like, is a 9 step skincare routine really necessary? Layering toners 7 times??), but even the really innovative stuff simply has absolutely no shades for anyone darker than a peach. Should you luck out and find that rare dark shade, then it's just so dewy. I've heard that's the preference but to me, it looks SO oily. I hope I just get there with a light weight, satin finish. The trials are still on.

Reactions: ccbaggirl89
I recently purchased ELF Flawless Finish foundation. I know a lot of you who use dept store products might think this is junk but it's quite nice. Paulas Choice gave it a very positive review and it has sunscreen. The color was a bit light so I mixed it two parts ELF with one pump of a darker shade of Maybelline Dream Liquid Mousse. I was very pleased with the color and the finish. Maybe I was just having a good day yesterday but I thought it looked flawless.

I don't believe in having a ton of foundations, at the most I'd want to have three. I'd rather have a good tinted moisturizer with SPF for very minimal makeup days, a luminious foundation for daily wear and a more matte foundation for nights out. My skin is super dry so the super flawless foundations often dry me out even more.

I have Sephora basically on my vanity. My go-to foundations for everyday right now are the NYX Total Control Drops, Maybelline Fit Me Matte & Poreless or Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk. I want to try the new Cover Girl Vitalist. I swatched it today and the finish seemed flawless and really good for everyday wear.

Reactions: pmburk
I have Sephora basically on my vanity. My go-to foundations for everyday right now are the NYX Total Control Drops, Maybelline Fit Me Matte & Poreless or Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk. I want to try the new Cover Girl Vitalist. I swatched it today and the finish seemed flawless and really good for everyday wear.

I'm the same way. I think I have something like 20+ foundations open right now. I like to switch it up depending on my mood, event, the weather, etc.

When it's hot here (2/3 of the year) I prefer something mattifying so I don't have to touch up as often. For those days I switch between UD Naked Skin, Chanel Vitalumiere Aqua, Maybelline Dream Matte Mousse, Bobbi Brown BB cream or Bare Minerals if I want a slightly lighter coverage.

For drugstore, I'd really recommend giving Rimmel Lasting Finish a try. It's cheap, but it is medium to full coverage, longwearing, and an extremely natural, satin finish. It is probably my favorite drugstore foundation. I also really like the Neutrogena Hydro Boost Hydrating Tint.