Mulberry's New Vibe - Thoughts?

emelizahughes

Mar 8, 2015
I just wanted to see what people thought of the LFW offerings...

Originally I was opposed to the majority of the new Coca designs, now I've warmed to some (ie new Bayswater, Darley, Zipped Bays etc) because I like the more modern take on the classics. I have a two Celine luggage totes which I adore and I like the Mulberry twist, I'd even say I prefer it.

However, I'm not sure how I feel about 80% of what I've seen at LFW/Mulberry Online.. I've always invested heavily in Mulberry because it's a bag that lasts a decade, timelessly practical with designs that don't date. Even the 'It' bags have stood the test of time in my eyes (Alexa, Cara etc.) but looking at Coca's LFW I feel like Mulberry is going to become Seasonal and I don't know if I'd want to spend £1,000+ on a bag that will look dated in 6 months time because it's saturated instagram/pinterest. I'm not necessarily criticising the designs because I'm already lusting after some, but they're not the kind of bags I look to Mulberry for.. to me Mulberry was always the practical girl's answer to Hermes and I feel like it's lost touch with that.

I don't know if I'm being overly cynical but I'd like to know what everybody else thinks?

Last edited:
Reactions: Susimoo
Honestly, Coca's stuff has driven me to buy hermes.
But I prefer my pre-Coca("heritage?!") mulberry bags above all. Just great construction/design/colors/leather. Great value for money,imo.

Now--well, I rarely even post in this forum. Just to avoid saying, "Wtf is this hideous crap?!" about every new item.:wtf:
Agreed--heading towards 6 months & done trend, for new mulb designs. Not 10 year+ bags anymore.:sad:

I'm new to Mulberry, but I have to say I really don't like the new Coca bags. I love the Bayswater, SBS, Alexa, and the Dorothy though!

My main issue with the "new" reimagined bags that Coca has brought, is the print assisted leather. I was first drawn to Mulberry because of the very organic natural grained vegetable tanned leathers.

That being said, I also think what Emma Hill says in this article: https://www.timeout.com/london/shopping/an-interview-with-mulberry-designer-emma-hill rings true for how I've come to imagine Mulberry.

Interesting. I am becoming more appreciative of his new designs and even bought myself the new clay Bayswater in Dec. However I cannot see myself doubling up and tripling up (and nontupling up!) for these new designs as I did with the classic Bayswater and lily bags and also daria. I am liking the new zipped bays and would like to get another lily. But with these prices and the fact that everything else seems to be getting more expensive I won't be buying as many bags in future (of whatever design) as I did previously.

I am pleased with how my classic mulberry bags have held up though, some of them are heading towards being 6 years old!

Reactions: Sammiantha
Interesting. I am becoming more appreciative of his new designs and even bought myself the new clay Bayswater in Dec. However I cannot see myself doubling up and tripling up (and nontupling up!) for these new designs as I did with the classic Bayswater and lily bags and also daria. I am liking the new zipped bays and would like to get another lily. But with these prices and the fact that everything else seems to be getting more expensive I won't be buying as many bags in future (of whatever design) as I did previously.

I am pleased with how my classic mulberry bags have held up though, some of them are heading towards being 6 years old!

CP, I totally agree with your comment and feel exactly the same.
I quite like what's new and specially what we saw just recently.
However and for the moment, they don't replace what I also call the Classic Mulberry style. Maybe because those look so timeless? So chic with their little tree on their postman lock?
Maybe the new ones will become the Classic ones over time? We never know :smile:
Hopefully, there is a market for them as I still think they are beautiful and probably worth acquiring, quality and style wise.
But for the moment, I stay with my oldies :smile:

I like the new zipped bays too and will think about adding one eventually. Like CP I have two new bays and the chiltern. (sold all of another brand of bags I own recently) But I am finding myself looking at Hill and Friends website more after buying a happy satchel (Ok two actually!)

Reactions: Vinnie42
I like this collection more than the previous. Do I prefer it to the original mulberry designs, no. However, as has been said previously, fashion moves on very quickly and the need to create something new and different is a must to remain current and 'in the game' as it were. I agree with the comments about it being high fashion for a fairly short period of time but will easily become dated.

If I think about my mulberry collection over the years I have moved many on. For me the ones that have stood the test of time are bays and lily (from my collection). I have an Anthony, mabel, phoebe, Roxanne that I won't sell due to resale value being so low but I don't carry them very often, if at all. With the last few collections not being of massive interest I have explored other brands and my collection is now more varied and I rotate my bags much more than I ever have. This seems to be the case with many of the ladies on here and I really enjoy seeing what purchases have been made.

Whilst I will always be interested in the brand and I'm sure I will buy the odd bits now and then, I will choose more carefully. As I get older the pieces I chose will be classic regardless of the brand, luxury goods are more expensive than ever so I need to make wise choices.

I've been on a bit of a journey with the new vibe - from horrified and appalled to a bit intrigued by some of the new pieces. Although I'm yet to purchase anything from the new collections yet so that may speak for itself.

As NY said I'm considering other brands now, more than ever and it's getting to the point where I'm considering selling a few of my mulberry bags to fund another designers. I'll always keep an eye on Mulberry I suspect but won't be the loyalist I have been for the last 6 or so years :tdown:

Reactions: Louliu71
I'm ages late to Mulberry, and what drew me in was durability, quality, and a certain timeless rugged appeal. Brit country no-nonsense, KWIM? No chi-chi, no flimsy extrawurst, raw interior, Boho charm. No one else did chocolate tooled Darwin loveliness, for instance. The older it got, the better it looked and felt.

Now? Interchangeable fads du jour. Before, you could tell (and almost smell) a classic Mulberry from a street afar. Today's models I keep mistaking for other, blander brands, even when I'm close enough to touch them. Like generic ersatzes with the Mulbs logo slapped onto it as an afterthought. I'm old enough not to compromise on my settled taste, and IMHO, Mulberry has sadly sold out on everything that made it unique.

Honestly, Coca's stuff has driven me to buy hermes.
But I prefer my pre-Coca("heritage?!") mulberry bags above all. Just great construction/design/colors/leather. Great value for money,imo.

Now--well, I rarely even post in this forum. Just to avoid saying, "Wtf is this hideous crap?!" about every new item.:wtf:
Agreed--heading towards 6 months & done trend, for new mulb designs. Not 10 year+ bags anymore.:sad:

Ditto Remainsilly, my feelings exactly :tup: except they drove me to Chanel & LV.
i do still have and enjoy the few Mulbs I have left but they are much older styles, Alexa, original Bays etc. Agree with CP, these were made to last for years and mine still look gorgeous. I don't get the impression the new ones will last so well but I guess everything's becoming so disposable, even at Mulberry prices

I think Mulberry is in too much of a rush to create new things all the time. The old M way used to be alot more about the classics and a few new things every season. The classics kept their freshness because of all the different special editions that came out. It seemed like things were very carefully considered before putting anything out. Now...well, "rushed and unthoughtful" is more the name of the game.
At the moment, there really isn't a Coca design that appeals to me in any way or on any level. I have enough pieces to keep me happy and satisfied - and DEF NOT shopping at M. As sad as it is.

Hi everyone,

This is my first post at TPF. I knew very little about purses a couple of months ago but decided to buy a Burberry in January after I got a nice raise at work. Once I started researching which Burberry to buy, I found Chloe and Tods and OMG all of them. Because I am a practical person at heart, I've settled on purchasing a Mulberry. I love the bags and, as stated in this thread, there is a value proposition to Mulberry that I don't see in other luxury bags.

Anyway, most of you have probable seen articles on Johnny Coca's philosophy but I googled him after reading some of the comments here. He seems to understand the value proposition so hopefully he maintains those standards. I like how he guffawed at the prices of other luxury brands in this piece.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/fashion/people/mulberrys-new-designer-johnny-coca-on-why-hes-reinvented-the-ico/

As a newcomer, I like some of the new styles. I'm never crazy about the wild printed stuff but there is enough "calm" in his new Bayswater with just a little edge. (The new Bayswater is the bag I decided to get.) I assume he is charged with growing the brand so adding some trendy features in the line makes sense. I wish they would have kept the Alexa though, I love that style.

I have a classic Bayswater and a Daria. Love them both, esp. for the fact they're the same brand but really different bags. Checked out the new models last summer at Harrods and wasn't super-stoked. If I buy this year, it will likely be a Lily before they disappear or get remade.

Sorry to be extremely late replying to this one... but i've just been snooping on the Anya Hindmarch site and it is glorious! I have an old Bathurst satchel (the grey and black one) which I use to death for work and admittedly the quality is equal (if not surpassing) classic mulberry. Fell out of love with the sticker direction so stopped looking at Anya.

However, the new collection is to die for and well worth a look, I feel like its the direction Mulberry should have gone in to revive itself. Minus the vibrant leather work straps, on Anya the Vere Satchel/Barrel and Bathurst have the classically British vibes but with a fun (and detachable!!) element. Plus, as a diehard fan of the tiny tree.. a tiny bow more than makes up for it.

Reactions: morejunkny
Oh god, I thought I was the only one who didn't like the new direction! The deal breaker for me is when they decided to discontinue products with the tree logo. I know they still have the classic Bayswater in the UK, but they have stopped bringing it into Singapore and the SA said they will be discontinuing it. I regret not getting the classic Bayswater in more colours!