Mulberry + waxed cotton jacket

flyvetjo

Jo
O.G.
Jan 24, 2007
Ok this sounds like an odd question but it's bugging me! Have just ordered a waxed cotton jacket off Boden (was debating a barbour) but anyhow- just wondering if the wax cotton coating will rub off or adversely affect darwin/ NVT leather shoulder bags!! Anybody help me with this one???:P

Just read a post on another thread by Shopaholic1987 which says that she is looking forward to getting out her Barbour Coat so maybe she can help you Jo.

i wouldn't know I'm afraid, I look terrible in a Barbour!

Hi Jo, I've worn my Barbour with my Phoebe and it was fine. TBH, I only thought about the possible implications afterwards and certainly wouldn't wear my fuchsia Bays with it....apart from the fact that it would look really stupid...:P

Hi mssw157- that good to hear! so at least a choco bag should be fine. Think I'd be worried about wearing an oak bag with it though- although expect it would speed up the patina on the back of the bag fairly quick.

do you know it's great to come on here and ask a question like this without people thinking i'm totally nuts!:nuts:

Jo - LOL. I thought I was nuts to even worry about the wax on my jacket and my Mulberry bags! But just think about some of the other bags and colour transfer....If we don't want to ruin our bags we have to ask these questions!

Funny, I was at Barbour the other day. I am contemplating getting a Bedale in green as I love my black one so much and was wondering the same thing.
The Barbour waxed jackets are extremely waxy esp. in the beginning and I remember thinking when I saw the wax stains on a Longchamp tote what it would do to my leather bags.

Hi everyone, my Mulberry waxed drover's coat is my winter stalwart and has never ever marked any of my Mulberry's - not even blondie annie!
Probably because there is no wax left on the coat - must get it re-waxed - anyone know who offers this service?

However......My friend's Barbour has caused her great heartache with wax/oily slodges/smudges on her oak ledbury.

maybe each coat is different. I have a barbour in the dark green colour they do and it hasn't caused my oak bays any issues yet, but it has been collonilled (sp?) to within an inch of its life (the bag, not the coat). I've worn the coat with my bays quite a bit, and also loads with both my antiqued leather bays

My horsey friend with battered Elgin - the back of the Elgin is shinier and she claims it's by her Barbour (classic dark green). But she never spray or buff, her originally Oak Elgin is now dark shiny almost glazed choc, with a little help with Neatsfoot oil.

Sorry no help but the fact which I see in my eyes.

I think it might depend on the colour and whether you have gone for dark or not? Certainly my navy barbour did shed colour. But Boden - don't know

Well I've ordered the brown coat so hopefully colour transfer won't be an issue onto an already dark choco bag but just worried about anything oak...... but then if it's wintry and rainy and I'm wearing a waxed coat probably won't want to carry an oak bag anyway!!!